New passport - how to leave Thailand?

My old passport is already full, so I applied for a new one at my embassy, and it's now ready for pickup. Obviously, the embassy will somehow invalidate the old passport by cutting or marking it, except for the pages with my existing long-term visas, (like the 10-year American visa). However, I have a question about leaving Thailand.

Currently, I'm on a 30-day extension of the initial 30-day exemption stamp, which technically isn't even a visa but rather a "permission to stay" under Thai law, if I'm not mistaken. What should I do in this case? I plan to do a "visa run" next month, traveling to another country for a few days and then returning. But before that, should I transfer those stamps somehow? Or should I just present the old passport with the page containing my current stamp (assuming it's not destroyed) and return using the new passport?

• Thumbs Up 1

Take it to the IO along with the old pp and any paperwork from your consultant and they’ll transfer the stamps onto the new pp. You’ll need to get it transferred before you can exit the country.

Edited by novacova
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

As @DrJack54 said, just go with both passports.

When I did this at Suvarnabhumi a few years ago, I was taken away from the immigration counter and taken to a little room where the officers did a bit of admin, so factor in a little additional time for that especially if you're the type of person who usually cuts things fine time wise.

they will transfer nothing with a visa exempt entry or even tourist visa

Take both passports an show them <
You will be stamped out on new one, turn around and enter on new one

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/17/2024 at 11:38 AM, grav said:

My old passport is already full, so I applied for a new one at my embassy, and it's now ready for pickup. Obviously, the embassy will somehow invalidate the old passport by cutting or marking it, except for the pages with my existing long-term visas, (like the 10-year American visa). However, I have a question about leaving Thailand.

Currently, I'm on a 30-day extension of the initial 30-day exemption stamp, which technically isn't even a visa but rather a "permission to stay" under Thai law, if I'm not mistaken. What should I do in this case? I plan to do a "visa run" next month, traveling to another country for a few days and then returning. But before that, should I transfer those stamps somehow? Or should I just present the old passport with the page containing my current stamp (assuming it's not destroyed) and return using the new passport?

Just show both passports when leaving; valid "visas" are still valid in a cancelled passport.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1