Legendary Actor Donald Sutherland Dies at 88

Social Media

image.png.8d04272ab650625c392db8068e30b45a.png

Donald Sutherland, the renowned Canadian actor whose illustrious career spanned over half a century, has passed away at the age of 88 after a prolonged illness. His son, actor Kiefer Sutherland, shared the heartbreaking news, stating, "With a heavy heart, I tell you that my father, Donald Sutherland, has passed away. I personally think one of the most important actors in the history of film. Never daunted by a role, good, bad or ugly. He loved what he did and did what he loved, and one can never ask for more than that. A life well lived."

Donald Sutherland's death has elicited a flood of tributes from colleagues, fans, and notable figures around the world. Cary Elwes, who starred alongside Sutherland in the 2001 television film *Uprising*, expressed his sorrow on Instagram, saying, "Our hearts are breaking for you. So grateful to have known [and] worked with him. Sending our love."

Obit Donald Sutherland

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also paid homage to Sutherland, reflecting on their first encounter: "My thoughts go out to Kiefer and the entire Sutherland family, as well as all Canadians who are no doubt saddened to learn, as I am right now. He was a man with a strong presence, a brilliance in his craft and truly, truly a great Canadian artist."

Director Ron Howard, who worked with Sutherland on the 1991 film *Backdraft*, lauded him as "one of the most intelligent, interesting [and] engrossing film actors of all time." Born in New Brunswick, Canada, in 1935, Sutherland initially pursued a career as a radio news reporter before venturing to London in 1957 to study at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. His early career saw him take on minor roles in British film and television, but it wasn't long before he made a significant impact in Hollywood. His breakout role came in 1967 with *The Dirty Dozen*, a war film that set the stage for his future success. 

Obit Donald Sutherland

The 1970s were a prolific period for Sutherland, with notable performances in *M*A*S*H* and *Kelly's Heroes*. He starred alongside Jane Fonda in Alan J. Pakula's 1971 thriller *Klute*, where their on-screen chemistry blossomed into a two-year romantic relationship. During this decade, he also showcased his versatility with roles ranging from an IRA member in *The Eagle Has Landed* to a pot-smoking college professor in *National Lampoon's Animal House*, and the lead in the 1978 remake of *Invasion of the Body Snatchers*.

In the 1980s, Sutherland delivered a poignant performance as the father of a suicidal teenager in the Oscar-winning *Ordinary People*. The following decades saw him embrace television roles in series such as *Dirty Sexy Money* and *Commander-in-Chief*, while continuing to make impactful film appearances.

Obit Donald Sutherland

Despite his extensive body of work, which includes nearly 200 credits, Sutherland was never nominated for an Oscar. However, he received an honorary Academy Award in 2017, recognizing his significant contributions to the film industry. Throughout his career, Sutherland was known for his political activism, particularly his opposition to the Vietnam War, which he protested alongside Jane Fonda. His socio-political beliefs often influenced his choice of roles, most notably his portrayal of the tyrannical President Snow in *The Hunger Games* series. In a 2015 interview with the BBC, he expressed hope that the film's message would resonate with young audiences, encouraging them to become more aware of global issues.

Reflecting on the changes in the acting industry over his career, Sutherland remarked on the increased financial rewards for actors. "I don't think anybody of my generation became an actor to make money. It never occurred to me. I made £8 a week here [on stage in London]. When I starred in a play at the Royal Court, I made £17 a week, that was in 1964," he told the BBC. Even in his later years, Sutherland had no intention of retiring from his craft. "It's a passionate endeavour. Retirement for actors is spelt 'DEATH'," he said.

Sutherland's legacy will continue to be celebrated, with his memoir, *Made Up, But Still True*, set for publication in November. His passing marks the end of an era for a remarkable actor whose talent, dedication, and passion for his craft have left an indelible mark on the film industry.

Credit: BBC 2024-06-22

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

I know he did a million movies, but the 2 that stick out in my mind were Kelly's Heroes and Animal House.

Neither was a huge role for him, but he made the characters great and memorable.  Like so many other movies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

He had one line in "The Dirty Dozen" and his career took off from there.

He was in Fellini's Cassanova, story was he had all his teeth pulled to change the shape of his face for that role -- someone told me this back then but I've never heard mention of it otherwise.

• Like 1