Trang Schools Ordered to Stop Using Water Coolers After Student Dies from Electrocution

image.jpeg

In a distressing event, a male student died from an electric shock at a secondary school in Nam Ron Subdistrict, Kantang District, Trang Province. The tragedy struck during the school's sports day on Friday, June 21.

On June 23, Chainarong Changruea, Director of the Secondary Educational Service Area Office (Trang, Krabi), disclosed preliminary findings. The malfunctioning water cooler involved had not been used for an extended period. It was connected to a breaker that managed the electrical system located behind it.

During the incident, the victim, who was passing by, was soaked due to heavy rain. The concrete floor beneath him was also wet, leading to a suspected short circuit from the water cooler causing electricity to flow onto the wet surface, resulting in the fatal shock.

Normally, schools are mandated to conduct regular inspections of water coolers. The most recent inspection occurred before the start of the latest academic term, focusing on child safety. Machines in service for a long time were supposed to be decommissioned immediately. Despite these measures, the unfortunate event occurred.

In light of this tragedy, Mr. Chainarong has ordered all secondary schools within his jurisdiction to cease using water coolers immediately. This suspension will remain until a thorough re-inspection is completed, and new, stringent safety measures are implemented.

To support the grieving family, the school has provided an initial sum of 20,000 baht and will also assist fully with funeral arrangements. Mr. Chainarong, alongside the Governor of Trang Province and officials from Social Development and Human Security, paid their respects at the funeral, offering their deepest condolences to the bereaved family.

An investigation committee has been created to uncover the specifics of the accident. If any neglect or fault is found, appropriate actions will be taken while ensuring fairness to all involved.

TOP Picture courtesy: Mono News

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-24

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Please! Do you know how hard it is to find electricians who knows what they are doing. After that, you also want them to follow standards??? You are asking a lot.

They are not hard to find. 

For many years I worked offshore Songkhla, just around the corner from Trang. 

I work for a drilling company as a supervisor, we have strict safety standards. We would employ Thai electricians, Thai's that worked on our rig would comply and obey all of these very strict rules and regulations. 

I'm sure other industries onshore here in Thailand have competent electricians. 

With proper training and supervision lives will be saved. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

22 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I work for a drilling company as a supervisor, we have strict safety standards. We would employ Thai electricians, Thai's that worked on our rig would comply and obey all of these very strict rules and regulations. 

Yeah, it´s different if they are employed by, and work at the same company with the same standards all the time. That might work, but it gets much harder, when you need one for just a single problem.

• Like 1

First the escalator.

And....

Now this.....

I will be drinking bottled water, from here on in.

I have a good water supplier.

My water supplier provides 20-liter bottles of water at extremely low risk.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, it´s different if they are employed by, and work at the same company with the same standards all the time. That might work, but it gets much harder, when you need one for just a single problem.

Thailand education department is a huge conglomerate

I'm sure if they were safety focussed they could enforce qualified electrical maintenance within their departments. 

17 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes it may be difficult but they are available. There are ticketed Thai electricians even in Isan. All schools should have access to an electrician, but the problem, most likely, is calling them for maintenance. The "don't fix it if it's not broke" doesn't apply in this case!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thailand education department is a huge conglomerate

I'm sure if they were safety focussed they could enforce qualified electrical maintenance within their departments. 

Of course they could, but the lack of interest before something happens is the biggest problem. They have no clue what maintenance is and that it can prevent something from happening.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

In light of this tragedy, Mr. Chainarong has ordered all secondary schools within his jurisdiction to cease using water coolers immediately. This suspension will remain until a thorough re-inspection is completed, and new, stringent safety measures are implemented.

Like safety breakers that work?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Normally, schools are mandated to conduct regular inspections of water coolers. The most recent inspection occurred before the start of the latest academic term, focusing on child safety.

🤔saving some faces ? 🙄🤪

3 hours ago, john donson said:

what about maintenance ?

Because there is no maintenance. 🙄
Maintenance of something that is working has no meaning here. When it stops working they will look at it.

Edited by The Theory

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

First the escalator.

And....

Now this.....

I will be drinking bottled water, from here on in.

I have a good water supplier.

My water supplier provides 20-liter bottles of water at extremely low risk.

Not if you drop the plastic bottle and it breaks whilst having your finger in the electrical socket at the same time as wearing no shoes

9 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Well now ,you said it:   With proper training and supervision lives will be saved. 

I would say that that is a big Problem in this country.

And to the Fact that it is very hard to find qualified Tradesman.

There are Many so called Tradesman,No Trade training No Qualifications No Papers.

On 6/23/2024 at 10:26 PM, MalcolmB said:

Dies from Electrocution

Like saying dying from murder. Electrocution always ends in death.

electrocute

verb
elec·tro·cute i-ˈlek-trə-ˌkyüt 
electrocuted; electrocuting
: to execute (a criminal) by electricity

: to kill or injure by electric shock

electrocution