What happens if not pay a speeding camera fine?

Keith5588

I bought my car in Khon Kaen 3 years ago. After that I relocated to Hua Hin in Prachuap Kiri Khan province. I went to the Transport Office in Pran Buri (the closest one to Hua Hin) and asked to change my address that is in my registration book. They said that they cannot do that because I have Khon Kaen number plates, and that I would have to first go to Prachuap Kiri Khan town to have my car number plates changed.

I also have a scooter with Khon Kaen number plates. I left it with the thought that I might have my car number plates changed in the future but I’m not riding my Honda Scoopy all the way to Prachuap Kiri Khan town, nor paying to have it transported there and back.

My Khon Kaen address in my car registration book is just an apartment I rented so if ever I had a speeding fine to pay I would never know. I thought this was not important as I am very unlikely to be speeding but even if I was I thought that when I next go to renew my car tax they would / maybe say I not pay the fine and so then I need to pay double. I can live with that.

This morning a friend said that it has changed in that if I not pay a speeding fine I would have to pay more but also they would refuse to issue a tax disc, basically not allow me to drive the car for 1 year!

Can anyone please confirm if that is the case?

If not paying a speeding fine means not being able to drive my car for 1 year then I will have my number plate changed (probably a good thing to do anyway as I like Hua Hin) and then my address, so that I would know I had a speeding fine and so would pay it.

Thanks in advance

Keith

• Confused 1

A bit too much of fear mongering about 1 year ban. Never heard before.

Since years they tell that you won't be able to pay tax/insurance with an open ticket.

Since years others tell you it's just hot air, don't care, don't pay.

I will not try to find the truth tentatively.

I think it is worth to change the address in the book.

Might be a PITA with certificate of residence.

There is website in Thai to check for outstanding tickets.

But only usable with Thai ID, so not worth linking,

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

A bit too much of fear mongering about 1 year ban. Never heard before.

Since years they tell that you won't be able to pay tax/insurance with an open ticket.

Since years others tell you it's just hot air, don't care, don't pay.

I will not try to find the truth tentatively.

I think it is worth to change the address in the book.

Might be a PITA with certificate of residence.

Yes I tend to think it is fear mongering, Thailand usually have a way to resolve matters.

I have made a note to change my car number plate and then able to change address. I will do that.

Can I ask what is a PITA?

42 minutes ago, swissbie said:

No need to change the adress in the car book or change number plates. You'll have to change the adress on your driving license though. Normally you would do that at the next renewal, but when you're afraid of unpaid speeding fines you can do it immediately.

Wow, thank you. I actually never thought of changing my address associated with my Thai Driving Licence. I will also ask about that. 

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Can you post the URL anyway please? Would like to check my wife's car and piss her off ^^

Edited by Sandboxer

There was a guy on here the other day asking how to pay tax on his Thai gold. 

If you’re not reading between the lines, you don’t have to pay tax on thai gold. People are so brainwashed by the system, it’s so engrained into them, they can’t just simplify and make life easier for themselves. 

Same thing here. They are brainwashed. Nothing happens when you do not pay traffic fines in Thailand. 

• Like 1

Basically an unpaid traffic fine will result in non-issue of the 1 year tax sticker.   A temporary 30 day sticker can be issued if the person wishes to contest the ticket.  See below for more info.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/unpaid-traffic-fine-means-no-road-tax-renewal-confirms-plto -87761.php

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40026076

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Basically an unpaid traffic fine will result in non-issue of the 1 year tax sticker.   A temporary 30 day sticker can be issued if the person wishes to contest the ticket.  See below for more info.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/unpaid-traffic-fine-means-no-road-tax-renewal-confirms-plto -87761.php

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40026076

Thanks a lot @Pib I feel satisfied now that I can just pay the extra amount if I have a fine and the Thai system actually does track it.

Just to clarify previous comments. I have purchased the yearly tax disc from Hua Hin Transport Office, no problem. But they would not change my address in my blue book. I could however go to the Transport Office in Khon Kaen and they would change my address that is in my blue book, but that is a long way away.

Maybe some Transport Offices will change the address even if the number plates are not of their province?

I am now not concerned about it but as I plan to stay in Hua Hin I might tidy  things up and change the plates, have a short holiday in Pretchuap KK and say hello to the leaf Monkey's.