I got scammed by a taxi driver!

MichaelJackson

3 hours ago, MichaelJackson said:

The moral of the story is always to check the meter box of the taxi driver when starting. Some drivers started their meter box long ago, even before a customer was there.

The moral of the story is do not get into a taxi unless the red or green "For hire" sign is illuminated, which goes off as soon as the meter is activated, if the meter was already running, the light would not have been showing.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What's all this "box" stuff..."meter box", "car box"?  A taxi's meter is not in "a box", neither is the "meter box" kept in "a box" in the taxi, they're fixed to the dashboard.   The OP reads like a box of cobblers.

My last taxi ride from CW immigration had a digital meter small enough to attach to the sun visor. I was surprised that the fare was lower than normal,as the display was so small I could not read it easily.

On 6/28/2024 at 9:32 AM, MichaelJackson said:

A few days ago, I was visting around Samut Prakan with one of my friends. And in the afternoon I decided to take a fare taxi nearby. At first it was all normal, the driver looks fine and all. But we both didn't pay attention to one thing... that is the meter box that tells how much it is costing! We both are just talking and didn't care much about the driver.

After some time, we arrived at our destination (Bangkok), and when we were about to pay, the taxi driver opened the meter box in his car box while also smiling. The cost was about 700 baht! Usually it cost about 300 baht. As we don't have any evidence at the moment, we had no choice but to pay! 

The moral of the story is always to check the meter box of the taxi driver when starting. Some drivers started their meter box long ago, even before a customer was there.

the meters are clearly visible on the dash and not inside some box or hidden from view. They some times cover them with a cloth but never inside a box.  If you felt you were cheated then you could have copied his taxi card id and made a complaint. If the meter was hidden from view or inside a box then it was not a real metered taxi

It's a rite of passage here. 

I like the one where they "accidentally" don't hear or see you gesturing wildly from the rear seat in an attempt to let them know "turn left here, here! sai sai"  

It's an Oscar-worthy performance every time.    the look of fake confusion  "what, waaaaaa? sorry I not hear you for last 2 minutes, sorry, we have to go all around again."

cheeky rascals

On 6/28/2024 at 9:32 AM, MichaelJackson said:

A few days ago, I was visting around Samut Prakan with one of my friends. And in the afternoon I decided to take a fare taxi nearby. At first it was all normal, the driver looks fine and all. But we both didn't pay attention to one thing... that is the meter box that tells how much it is costing! We both are just talking and didn't care much about the driver.

After some time, we arrived at our destination (Bangkok), and when we were about to pay, the taxi driver opened the meter box in his car box while also smiling. The cost was about 700 baht! Usually it cost about 300 baht. As we don't have any evidence at the moment, we had no choice but to pay! 

No!!! You can write the day, time, way, taxi no. etc. down & report it to the police. Specialy if you know the normal fare is just 300THB. Police know the fares to. They try to catch the taxi driver and will check the taxi meter for manipulation.

• Haha 1