To AI or not to AI, the ongoing debate...

RSD1

43 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

A person could write something themselves that is complete fiction and post and present it as a true story, thus misleading you.

It’s safe to assume most of what presumed individuals post about themselves on any anonymous forum is fanatical. Starting with the ones with the most verbiage. 

1 minute ago, novacova said:

It’s safe to assume most of what presumed individuals post about themselves on any anonymous forum is fanatical. Starting with the ones with the most verbiage. 

I think it's hard to generalize based on verbiage, but, sure, there is probably a lot of fictional accounts. That's the inherent nature of the internet. You have to expect that. But that isn't my point. I am talking about text generation, I'm not speculating about how much is fake or how much is reality. That's a separate discussion. 

OK... so I'm not sure if people will get my point.

I thought people would be able to identify that my earlier comment was 100% AI generated.

I hadn't even fully read the Op at that point.

The "ech-hmmm... :whistling: :ninja:" comment at the end was intended to indicate the element of irony.

The only human input was:

- GPT Prompt - Provide a 200 word response to the following

- Paste the Op into GPT

- Copy and paste the GPT response into here

Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 16.24.31.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I thought people would be able to identify that my earlier comment was 100% AI generated.

The "ech-hmmm... :whistling: :ninja:" comment at the end was intended to indicate the element of irony.

- Paste the Op into GPT

And I bet it wrote it 10x faster than you probably would've taken to compile edit and post it.👍

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's say an idiot has a stupid thought. And then he uses AI (LLM) to make that stupid idea sound somehow better. It doesn't work.

Let's apply some realness to the situation. You and I know nothing about the real people behind our respective AN user names. And we are most likely never going to meet each other in real life either. So we don't really know each other and probably never will. But let's say I have some deeply interesting ideas to share that might inspire you, but I would be hopeless at writing them out. Would you really care if it's the real me (whom you don't know anyway) writing out these thoughts to you in some unintelligible text that I wrote myself or if I'm using an AI tool to assist me to articulate them?

At the end of the day, AI is just another tool controlled by humans, not a sentient being with its own ideas. So all it's doing is taking my ideas and spelling them out, literally. Thus, this notion about authenticity goes out the window unless we really know each other and there is a need for there to be personal authenticity.

If you talk about people who work in creative arts fields, they all use tools to create the media you consume and enjoy. You don't really know the real them either, but you're still happy to enjoy what they create without questioning or knowing how they created it. Whether it's film, music, art, photography, etc, they all have their own tools and techniques and often how they create stuff isn't shared with the public. Does that make their work any less authentic on how they got from point A to point B any more important? So writing is really no different. It is, in a way, just another form of creative ants and AI is just another tool used to actualize their work. 

"Do you think that's air that you're breathing now?"

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

- Paste the Op into GPT

I didn't realize your post was AI, nor do I really care (and that's my point) but I left a thanks on it because I thought you well understood the concept I was trying to convey.

Though, when I read the post I did think it was overly redundant on the points I already made and didn't really see the point of why you posted it. So I don't think the AI failed, but you could have certainly put some better effort into your prompting to add some of your own real thoughts and ideas into the post rather than just regurgitating what I already said. 

This proves my point that to get something useful from the tool you really need to add some effort via human input and intervention and it isn't a matter of just giving it a short prompt. Garbage in garbage out. 

Edited by RSD1

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Well, let's just do away with all human posters on this forum and give the AI bots an online wallet to purchase anything 'they' want from the click-through adverts 🙂

Isn't that what's already happening here? Do you think I really even wrote any of this? Or that I am even real? 

You take the blue pill and the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. Remember; all I am offering is the truth, nothing more.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your perspective on AI-generated content is thought-provoking and highlights several important considerations. The authenticity and value of content should indeed be measured by the quality and relevance of the ideas presented, not necessarily by the method of its creation. Whether a post is written by a human or an AI, the essential factor is the genuineness of the thoughts and the effectiveness of the communication.

It's true that humans can mislead just as much as an AI could be used to convey true, coherent ideas. This blurs the lines between traditional notions of authenticity. A well-written, AI-generated piece based on true events can be more valuable than a poorly written, fictional human account. The advancement of AI has made it possible for individuals who struggle with writing to express their ideas clearly and effectively, ensuring that valuable insights are not lost due to linguistic barriers.

Focusing too much on the origins of the content rather than the content itself can distract from the substantive discussion. By dismissing posts based solely on their potential AI origins, we risk overlooking meaningful contributions. It's important to engage with the ideas presented and evaluate them on their merits rather than their source. Ultimately, respecting and considering the message should take precedence over speculating about its creation, fostering a more inclusive and thoughtful discourse.

ech-hmmm... :whistling: :ninja:

For the first time ever I agree with you.

Well said.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

I didn't realize your post was AI, nor do I really care (and that's my point) but I left a thanks on it because I thought you well understood the concept I was trying to convey.

Though, when I read the post I did think it was overly redundant on the points I already made and didn't really see the point of why you posted it. So I don't think the AI failed, but you could have certainly put some better effort into your prompting to add some of your own real thoughts and ideas into the post rather than just regurgitating what I already said. 

This proves my point that to get something useful from the tool you really need to add some effort via human input and intervention and it isn't a matter of just giving it a short prompt. Garbage in garbage out. 

Valid counter, the quality of output most certainly dependant on the quality of input / prompt - I was lazy, ergo the response, as you correctly pointed out was somewhat redundant.

The issue I see with AI is that some of us consider we are being taken for a ride with some of the topics designed provoke us, lure us in, to trigger us, to cause debate...  are we fools for responding to an AI generated OP ?.... 

Personally, I would much rather discuss, debate, argue and throw around ideas based on someones genuine input rather than a post designed purely to trigger clicks - thus I consider the use of AI from this perspective somewhat deceitful. 

That said, some people write so poorly, using AI could make their content (responses) more readily understood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think I could identify a fair few posters from the text alone. Or get close. There is one poster who has taken on several identities, and others too, and it doesn't take long to work that out. I don't come here for facts except the rare occasion I have a visa question or something. You come here to read different personalities express themselves and interact and AI is a poor substitute for that. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The advancement of AI has made it possible for individuals who struggle with writing to express their ideas clearly and effectively, ensuring that valuable insights are not lost due to linguistic barriers.

Maybe I am wrong, but I prefer a bad written original post compared to an AI enhanced post.

Because the AI might enhance it, and make it sound better, and add some details, but all of that is not authentic.

The original information might be from someone who was in a fire of a big building. With few information. Put that in an LLM and that will be able to add additional information which the LLM found on the internet. This information might be right, or it might be wrong. We don't know.

I know we won't read all accurate information from real people in an anonymous forum. But we can/do filter what we read. That is more difficult after AI "enhanced" whatever was originally written.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, RSD1 said:

Perhaps if they were better orators though you might be more willing to at lead read a bit of their rubbish.

Maybe I would read more.

But if I see rubbish, then I don't read it.

If I see AI enhanced rubbish, then maybe it will be a little longer before I stop reading. So, I wasted more time. I don't want to waste my time. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, RSD1 said:

Think about all the great fictional novels out there that are well written and enjoyed and then the poorly written news articles about important topics. Which would you rather read? 

I want to know if it is news or fiction.

If I want the news, then I prefer authentic information, that means mostly no AI.

If I want fiction, then I like to enjoy that. If AI makes it better, then that is fine with me. It's fiction.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1