Pla Too

Maybole

My family often eat Pla Too (ปลาทู). Curious as to its english name, I put it to Google Translate. It came up with Mackerel, which the fish is obviously not. Can any member give me an english or even better a zoological name for it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maybole said:

My family often eat Pla Too (ปลาทู). Curious as to its english name, I put it to Google Translate. It came up with Mackerel, which the fish is obviously not. Can any member give me an english or even better a zoological name for it?

My missus calls it tuna, which it is not.

Seems it is "short mackerel" https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=ปลาทู

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Are you possibly being confused by the angle of the head? Traditionally in Thailand the neck is broken and the head forced downwards.

ปลาซาบะ Pla Saba is what a lot of people will know as mackerel. But I think it's the same family as Pla Too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pickwick said:

Back in the day, after having just moved here, I was eating them at the wife's family home. I suddenly felt like I had swallowed a bone and told my wife. She immediately informed everyone and my brother-in-law nodded and left the table quickly. Off for a doctor I reassuringly thought and tried to remain calm. A minute later and he returned with a cat and rubbed its paw three times across my throat!

Oddly, it worked 🙂 

Fantastic story Pickwick.

Nature has the answers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pickwick said:

Back in the day, after having just moved here, I was eating them at the wife's family home. I suddenly felt like I had swallowed a bone and told my wife. She immediately informed everyone and my brother-in-law nodded and left the table quickly. Off for a doctor I reassuringly thought and tried to remain calm. A minute later and he returned with a cat and rubbed its paw three times across my throat!

Interesting. A fish bone in the throat in Peru requires you to rotate your plate clockwise three times in order to confuse the spirit of the fish and make it fall into your stomach. In Brazil you remove three sticks from a campfire, turn them around, and put the opposite ends of the sticks back in the fire.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Foxx said:

Are you possibly being confused by the angle of the head? Traditionally in Thailand the neck is broken and the head forced downwards.

Nah , your Wrong the fish Grows like that and it is a Thai  mackerel.   https://pulitzercenter.org/projects/thailands-favorite-fish-vanishing-our-appetite-blame