New E-Gates for Thai Passports Debut at Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

1 minute ago, retayl said:

E gates at British airports are for UK passport holders  only, I assume it will remain the same in Thailand as foreign passports have to be stamped with the visa expiry date.

No they don't 'have to be'... ...   just because foreign passports are currently stamped, it does not mean at all that foreign passports have to be stamped with an expiry date....

... This already occurs in so many places....  

Its up to the 'Passport holder' to know their permission of stay.

Also, it wouldn't be difficult for the system to 'issue a slip' - showing permission of stay.

All data is logged digitally, so theoretically there is no need for any stamps. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ashkale said:

There seems to be rush everywhere to get rid of manned immigration...suppose big data is super happy!

Who is "big data"? And why would they be happy?

You're saying a traveller putting his passport in to a machine to be scanned and having biometrics taken is somehow better for "big data" than an IO taking your passport, manually putting it in to a machine to be scanned and then taking your biometrics as is done now - it is just a more efficient way of doing it.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, bob smith said:
4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

After a 'testing phase' the new gates will cater to foreigners. 

I'll believe it when I see it!

bob.

I'm not sure what has changed with this new system... 

But there have already been plenty of reports of foreigners using the previous e-gate system (Dec / Jan of this year)...  That brought up the issue of the system recognising the 're-entry permit'...

BUT - I'm sure when it does happen, you will find a way to have a problem with the e-gates and accuse all Thai's of hating foreigners because it 'glitched' when you tried it !!... 

4 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I'll believe it when I see it!

And... no you won't...    On every thread you post in, the only thing you beleive is your own negative bias regardless of the mountain of experiences and information presented to you that contradict your self inflicted broken encounters and opinions. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No they don't 'have to be'... ...   just because foreign passports are currently stamped, it does not mean at all that foreign passports have to be stamped with an expiry date....

... This already occurs in so many places....  

Its up to the 'Passport holder' to know their permission of stay.

Also, it wouldn't be difficult for the system to 'issue a slip' - showing permission of stay.

All data is logged digitally, so theoretically there is no need for any stamps. 

All data may well be logged digitally but realistically TIT!  My visa is applied for and issued “online” but I’m still required to present a paper copy to the IO on entry. You are correct in your assertion that it could all be done automatically but in reality? 

12 minutes ago, retayl said:

All data may well be logged digitally but realistically TIT!  My visa is applied for and issued “online” but I’m still required to present a paper copy to the IO on entry. You are correct in your assertion that it could all be done automatically but in reality? 

Yes... In reality... 

I'm currently resident of a few countries (due to work).

Two of them, I simply scan my Passport In and Out without getting any stamp.

Thus: I think this could be implemented for those on a Resident Visa (i.e. Non-Imm B / O / OA etc)...  or even those on long term Visas (i.e. Thai Elite etc)....

But for regular tourists and those arriving on Tourist Visa's / Visa Exemption stamps I think e-gates would be more difficult to implement, and IMO unlikely. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The AoT will conduct further tests to integrate the system with the Immigration Bureau’s biometric systems before it is opened to foreigners.

How will it work with people having extension of stay ? No stamps any longer ?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Welcomed by Pol. Maj. Gen. Cheeringron Rimphadee, the inspection highlighted the introduction of new e-gates designed to streamline the passport control process for Thai nationals.

Why not all passengers irrelevant of nationality.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

Welcomed by Pol. Maj. Gen. Cheeringron Rimphadee, the inspection highlighted the introduction of new e-gates designed to streamline the passport control process for Thai nationals.

Why not all passengers irrelevant of nationality.

I thought that would be extremely clear to anyone... 

Thai citizens are exempt from passport and visa requirements, so verifying their status is straightforward.

However, individuals from other countries face a complex array of entry permissions, including Permanent Resident, Non-Immigrant, Tourist, Volunteer, and Visa Exemption statuses.

The system is currently being tested for Thai citizens, which is a logical initial step before further updates and developments can be implemented.

25 minutes ago, daejung said:

How will it work with people having extension of stay ? No stamps any longer ?

If being checked by a 'digital system' and your records are all online...   

Why would it even be necessary to go back to an 'analogue' system (i.e. a stamp?)...  it would just be superfluous to the system.

The necessary information is stored your Immigration Profile (Immigration database) and compared to your passport biometrics.

Edited by richard_smith237

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I thought that would be extremely clear to anyone... 

Thai citizens are exempt from passport and visa requirements, so verifying their status is straightforward.

However, individuals from other countries face a complex array of entry permissions, including Permanent Resident, Non-Immigrant, Tourist, Volunteer, and Visa Exemption statuses.

The system is currently being tested for Thai citizens, which is a logical initial step before further updates and developments can be implemented.

I thought the post stated these gates are based in departure areas? Not arrivals

So passengers would have already been processed at the check-in desk, prior to going through immigration to the departure area airside.?

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I thought the post stated these gates are based in departure areas? Not arrivals

So passengers would have already been processed at the check-in desk, prior to going through immigration to the departure area airside.?

Quite possibly....  I imagine its all part of a plan, progression.

Its obviously easier for out bound passengers.... and indeed, some Non-Thai's (on this forum) have reported using the e-gates already...  though has they are being trialed, I suspect they 'slipped through the gaps'... 

I think its only a matter of time before they are used for both Thai's and Foreigners upon departure.

And for Thai's and Non-Thai longer term residents on arrival.

Its just natural progression - it happens slowly here, but it happens.

6 hours ago, isaanistical said:

Used to be that I could go through the "Thai" section with my wife (usually making the process a lot faster). Anyone know if that has been discontinued now?

Yes you can still go to the Thai line, you won't be able to use the e-gate and neither will your wife, but those lines are still really short and very convenient for those of us who are married to a Thai woman. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

My oh my.

How different

Good they're testing it out on Thais first and iron out the bugs using them. was the different and unique idea in this thread, in case you missed it. Nonetheless, we did get the usual xenophobic whinges about Thais going first and sneers that the new system wouldn't work.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1

Just now, BigStar said:

Nonetheless, we did get the usual xenophobic whinges about Thais going first. 

A bit like lemmings?

There is, I think, the use of biometrics which seems to be fairly new. 

It could be that the Thai system is easy for the powers that be to sort out and, once they get that right, the foreign passports might be problem free.

Not a good idea to be seen to cock-up foreign passport control I think.

9 hours ago, isaanistical said:

Used to be that I could go through the "Thai" section with my wife (usually making the process a lot faster). Anyone know if that has been discontinued now?

They will still need manual Thai gates for Thais who can’t be read by the electronic system or those too young or too old to use it. You should be OK.

51 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

A bit like lemmings?

No, quite like travelers who'd like to get through passport control as quickly as possible. Normal and understandable.

52 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

There is, I think, the use of biometrics which seems to be fairly new. 

New here, yes. But Thais managed to take to electronic payments via QR codes, and fast transfers, quickly, seem to upload their photos easily when registering for this or that, so they'll no doubt get used to the new system fairly easily. On the forum we hear posters complaining about all this newfangled stuff that doesn't work for them or is incomprehensible--for some reason.😉

59 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

It could be that the Thai system is easy for the powers that be to sort out and, once they get that right, the foreign passports might be problem free.

That is, ironing out the bugs as I said. 

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Not a good idea to be seen to cock-up foreign passport control I think.

The stereotypical assumption about being seen has little to do with it, but rather the reality of avoiding unforeseen delays at foreign passport control, inconveniencing travelers, and needing emergency workarounds and troubleshooting. It's all boringly reasonable and understandable by anyone who's tried to implement a new system in the West.

10 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

I thought the original article some time ago was a great initiative....now reading it's only for Thais, it's so damn backward.

The long queues to enter will prevail...as will the queues to leave.

"Once these tests, conducted in collaboration with AOT, are successful, the new gates will also cater to foreign travellers."

• Like 2