Tourist Rescued from Tree Following Parasailing Accident on Phuket Beach

webfact

18 hours ago, webfact said:

"The rapid change in wind direction likely caused the parasail to lift the tourist into the tree," Wandee explained. This mishap serves as a stark reminder of the importance of safety and preparation when engaging in extreme sports.

Is that a message for tourists or for the parasailing outfit?

28 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Wonder if they made him pay for damage to the gear, like they do for jet skis?

Risk assessment is not a developed skill in Thailand when money is involved.

and the cherry picker truck rental,  and damage to the tree .....

They're calculating the bill as we speak  ....

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

I too had a parasailing adventure gone wrong in Pattaya decades ago.  Thought I was going to drown, close call.

After becoming initially airborne the speed boat driver slowed due to an obstacle in the water.  I was dropped and dragged through the water, encumbered by the attached parachute, unable to get a breath.  Time slowed, felt like forever.  I still remember it very vividly, terrifying. :shock1:

Never did it again, always recommend against it. Be safe out there :jap:

Did it myself once, 25 years ago also on Pattaya, must not think about it now.
Anyway, you were lucky.

• Agree 1

Just driving on the roads in Thailand is an extreme sport i suggest, without having these beach add ons which are also clearly dangerous as well( remember the Aust guy plunging to his death from a parasail harness a couple of years ago in Thailand)

4 hours ago, Frankie baby said:

I watched them try and bring down a guy on the parasail in the wind a couple of days back (Karon Beach). Took about an hour to get him down. In the end a lull in the wind did the job.

They probably charged him for the extra time aloft. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

I thought there was an official list of things "not to do" in Thailand. I'm sure paragliding comes right after bungy jumping, riding in a mini-van, and arguing with ladyboys on Beach Road at 3am.:coffee1:

You forgot "Hiring a jetski without a lawyer in attendance"  🤔

But seriously, the operators of this parasailing outfit SHOULD know not to go near trees such as this just in case the wind change - but TIT!

Quite frankly it terrifies me but i get dizzy if I stand on a beermat 😮

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, kidneyw said:

I remember in 1980 I thought I would give this a go. The guy, who they were just bringing back, crash landed on top of two beach umbrellas. I turned around.

Still have never done it.

I had a go once in Greece many years ago and loved it - but they seemed a bit more safety conscious there!

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

So maybe standards have slipped since I was in my 30's - 40 years ago? I did say "many years ago"!!!

(I haven't read the link, but it appears to be dated Oct 2020, 3 - 4 years ago)

On Jomtien beach about 10 years ago a parasailor customer got stuck hanging from a 10 meter tall circular lighting pole.  Parasail wrapped around lights completely entangled.

The fire truck arrived after about 20 minutes to extract the tourist but none of the firemen knew how to work the extending ladder boom mechanism.  When the group of onlookers started yelling for the man to be saved all the firemen ran away like children.

Finally a properly trained employee arrived who knew how to work the ladder and extracted the victim after 1 hour.  He appeared to have lost consciousness while hanging for so long.