Monthly budget in Thailand

susanlea

2 hours ago, susanlea said:

One guy said he lives off 15,000 baht. The cheapest budget I can manage is 31,000 and that is it. How much do you spend? Could you have fun on 20,000? 

id wager i do about 10000/month...my rent is due today so thats 4500....i take 500 bt out a day to spend but rarely spend that so maybe min wage...300 a day.....just ride my bike and listen to spotify and get some food..one meal a day aka 100 bt...

exercise...listen to my fav tunes...get outside..drink some iced teas....get watermelon--yogurt..grill some chix...=100/200/day

lost 5kgs already.....come home watch news/movies on my chromecast.......keeping it simple and no complaints....sabai sabai

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

which is more than enough [sarcasm alert] to cover all your clothing, footwear, eyewear, internet, entertainment, medical exams, emergency medical expenses, medications, health insurance, dental checkups, cavities, crowns, toiletries, cosmetics, haircuts, casualty losses (theft, mysterious disappearance), cleaning supplies, laundry, household appliances, cookware, computer replacement, cell phone upgrades and repairs, kitchen utensils, postage, import duties, and shipping fees for overseas purchases, visa renewals, visa photos, passport renewals, ATM fees, books, subscriptions, gifts, travel, public transportation, motor vehicle insurance and maintenance, vehicle registration, driver's license renewal, language courses, continuing education, recreational equipment maintenance and repair, cable TV, Netflix, streaming services, artwork, electricity, water (both drinking and municipal), bedding, pets, etc.

31,000 may look reasonable on paper, but I am pretty

One guy just said 10,000 total is a lot for him.

Half those things listed would never use.

6 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

id wager i do about 10000/month...my rent is due today so thats 4500....i take 500 bt out a day to spend but rarely spend that so maybe min wage...300 a day.....just ride my bike and listen to spotify and get some food..one meal a day aka 100 bt...

exercise...listen to my fav tunes...get outside..drink some iced teas....get watermelon--yogurt..grill some chix...=100/200/day

lost 5kgs already.....come home watch news/movies on my chromecast.......keeping it simple and no complaints....sabai sabai

Thanks for the reply. That's 2 guys now at 10,000 or less.

Hang on 300 times 30 is 9000 plus rent is 13,500.

Edited by susanlea

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

my studio in CM has always been 3500     going on year 16 and have always stayed in that budget and rate...

that link is BS imo

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

And just imagine if you ever were able to live a privileged life. 

This is a normal expense for many families with kids on the dark-side in Pattaya.

I know people with more than 1 kid at an international school, their monthly expenses are a lot more than mine.

Lucky I don't play golf anymore. I would have to add another 40,000 baht a month to that total.

Yes, its a lot of money but that is the cost of living here for me. I would rather pay that than live in the UK.

Each to their own.

2 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I cook every meal and don't pay rent as well. Would you be kind enough to advise what your monthly expenses or at least monthly average food expenses are? 

I spend a lot on my diet, including high end coffee, nuts, imported canned seafood, blueberries, strawberries, cherries, durian, grapes, chocolate, dried fruits, shell fish, salmon, imported cheeses, etc. In calendar year 2023 I spent 183,752 baht on foot (no alcohol, but includes sundries such as household cleaning items). This was also offset by extensive fruit orchards and vegetable garden production.

A lot of new comers to Thailand think wow, a bowl of noodles only cost 35 baht, I can feed myself for 100 baht easy peasy, without stopping to consider that that is not a very healthy diet over the long term. As @Hummin said, [living] eating healthy in Thailand is not that cheap.

Your diet is ridiculous to be honest. Eggs, peanuts and blueberries contain 95% of the nutrients you need. Add in 2 meats you got everything.

You don't need to eat 30 different things to be healthy. 

1 minute ago, susanlea said:

Your diet is ridiculous to be honest. Eggs, peanuts and blueberries contain 95% of the nutrients you need. Add in 2 meats you got everything.

You don't need to eat 30 different things to be healthy. 

Don't tell me how to eat Mr. 'I'm-gonna-live-happily-ever-after-in-a-shoebox and enjoy my microwaved MaMa noodle-in-a-cup diet. I've been nutritionally aware since early childhood. Any nutritionist will tell you eating a varied diet rich in anti-oxidants is important. Where'd you get that morsel of misinformation? From the back of a Fruit Loop cereal box?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

Don't tell me how to eat Mr. 'I'm-gonna-live-happily-ever-after-in-a-shoebox and enjoy my microwaved MaMa noodle-in-a-cup diet. I've been nutritionally aware since early childhood. Any nutritionist will tell you eating a varied diet rich in anti-oxidants is important. Where'd you get that morsel of misinformation? From the back of a Fruit Loop cereal box?

Years of study. Varied diet is a myth. Anti-oxidants :cheesy:

• Haha 1