Deny Labour a Majority we can deliver a Hung Parliment - Sunak

Social Media

image.png.2922082ef01474dec351f515f4acce6a.png

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has made a passionate plea to voters, suggesting that a hung parliament could be achieved if only 130,000 people switched their votes to the Conservative Party. This shift, he argued, would deny Labour the majority they are predicted to secure. His appeal came in response to a YouGov survey indicating that such a small shift in voter support could significantly alter the outcome of the upcoming election.

On Tuesday, Sunak is set to emphasize that the election results are not set in stone, saying, “The outcome of this election is not a foregone conclusion. If just 130,000 people switch their vote and lend us their support, we can deny Starmer that supermajority. Just think about that: you have the power to use your vote to prevent an unchecked Labour government.”

This figure is drawn from an analysis of a YouGov Multilevel Regression and Post-stratification (MRP) poll, which suggested that Labour would lose their projected majority if 130,000 voters turned away from the party. The Times reported last month that Labour, predicted to win 425 seats compared to the Conservatives' 108, would lose its 200-strong majority entirely if 132,000 voters in tightly contested constituencies voted for the second-place party instead.

Sunak will further assert, “A huge number of seats in this election will be decided by only hundreds of votes. So, every vote we move will have an impact and make it more likely that your Conservative candidate is returned to Parliament so that they can be your voice, represent your values, and stand up for you.”

Conservative figures are also urging voters not to support Reform UK, led by Nigel Farage, which has seen a surge in popularity. On Monday, Sunak reiterated that a vote for Reform UK would inadvertently aid Sir Keir Starmer in becoming Prime Minister.

Despite these efforts, polls have consistently shown Labour maintaining a strong double-digit lead over the Conservatives. Some surveys predict a significant defeat for the Conservatives, with a recent MRP for The Telegraph suggesting that about three-quarters of the Cabinet could lose their seats.

In light of these challenges, allies of a potential Tory leadership contender have stressed that any post-election leadership battle should not be prolonged. They argue that delaying the contest would leave Sir Keir without effective opposition until January. There is also opposition to any move that would deny party members a vote in the leadership election, with one source calling such a suggestion “insane.”

Meanwhile, Sunak has indicated his commitment to the Conservative Party regardless of the election outcome. He told the BBC, “I love this party dearly and of course I’ll always put myself at the service of it and the service of my country.”

As the election draws nearer, Sunak’s message is clear: a small but significant shift in voter support could prevent a Labour supermajority and ensure a more balanced representation in Parliament. Whether his appeal will resonate with voters remains to be seen, but the stakes are undeniably high for both major parties.

Credit: Daily Telegraph 2024-07-03

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

There is no real difference between Tory or Labour party politics. They are both bad. They don't care about the country or the People. If the tories have to pick a new leader. They we are getting yet another unelected PM. They are both Bankrupt as far as having any real policies.

Peoples best option is to vote reform, which will disrupt the status quo, and give a real opposition party. With the possibility of a reform government in 4-5 years time.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

It was a terrible mistake making Sunak PM. If there is one positive I can take from this it's that he will no longer be leading the country.

Of course, that is far outweighed by the negative that it will likely be the product of a tool maker, Sir Keir. 

There is no excitement at all I can see out there at the prospect of a big Labour victory - this is nothing at all like 1997.  The levels of dissatisfaction within a year for Sir Kneel Starmer will be off the charts unless he actually manages to introduce positive changes for the majority of the country and not just the 1% of the shouty people on social media he constantly tries to appease.   

3 hours ago, James105 said:

There is no excitement at all I can see out there at the prospect of a big Labour victory - this is nothing at all like 1997.  The levels of dissatisfaction within a year for Sir Kneel Starmer will be off the charts unless he actually manages to introduce positive changes for the majority of the country and not just the 1% of the shouty people on social media he constantly tries to appease.   

I agree that there is little real enthusiasm for either Starmer personally or Labour as a party. It's more a case of 'they can't be any worse than the current lot'.

Let's face it, the bar has been set so low by Johnson, Truss and Sunak that it's very difficult to imagine that Starmer can be worse.