This New Prospective Income Tax for us British ex-pats

So from now on from 28th June, we are classed as  a resident of Thailand.
Income tax returns have to be completed from Jan 1st, 2025 until 31st March 2025.

I have asked several people and friends who are Thais who knows people in the local tax office and have not heard of this issueas of yet and I think that it is not on the Stature Book.
The forms were only in Thai but led to believe that there is an English version of it and if so can anyone give me and us a link please.

However, yes indeed many months to go and advised to just sti back and believe the forms might be revamped in some ways.
I know there is a long thread  but again many people and the tax experts stating just hang fire for now.
Thanks all

John West

Edited by jwest10
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, jwest10 said:

So from now on from 28th June, we are classed as  a resident of Thailand.

Not me, I took a 3 week trip out of Thailand last month and I'm going again this weekend for the rest of the year.

The first trip for me was what I might call a 'gain a foothold' trip - I sorted out a long term visa for me and the Mrs and rented an apartment for a year - that took me 1 week to complete so it was very easy to do.

Now I'm tidying up my affairs here in Thailand and leaving again in a couple of days.

The thing about the 'change' is that it wasn't a law that was changed, it was a memo that introduced this 'remit next year' rule 40 years ago back in the 1980's and it was a memo that removed it late last year.

That is alarming - that's all it takes to change something that affects millions of people here - a memo issued by the right person in the right government department. No debate in parliament, no vote - just a memo by someone who is no longer in their job at the Revenue Department - this memo came withing the Prime Ministers first few weeks in the job - then the Revenue Department head changed to someone else who is also talking about global taxation.

Something to consider before moving to Thailand, we're one memo away from massive change at any moment.

I may purchase an apartment while I'm in Cambodia, haven't decided yet and make this a more permanent arrangement but that depends on how I feel about the place after an extended stay (I like it down there so far) and how they proceed with the global taxation rules.

For the next couple of years I will watch and see what else they change, specifically regarding global taxation....that will determine whether I ever become tax resident again.

Right now I'm considering doing the full 10 years non resident covering any possible auditing period. I don't have a TIN and want to keep it that way as legitimately as possible - if I never stay more than 180 days then I won't ever need one.

There will never be any visa renewal in country for me either as I already have a Thailand Elite membership which is good until 2040 so I believe I've covered all my bases for a long time to come..

I'm treating this issue very seriously and will consult with international tax advisors whilst in Cambodia - there are a few international companies who have offices there and I will use one of them at some point in the next month or so.

Edited by ukrules
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2024 at 10:06 AM, topt said:

I really do not understand why you have created yet another topic on this?

The links have been posted before. Here is one -

https://www.rd.go.th/english/65308.html

Click on the first pdf

If you are talking taxing world wide income then no it is only a suggestion at the moment as has been clearly stated in multiple other threads.

Just askin a question as you right so many posts ok

Click on the first pdf

If you are talking taxing world wide income then no it is only a suggestion at the moment as has been clearly stated in multiple other threads.

Yes precisely my point only 2023 latest ok and only asking a question and no need to be rude about it ok

Click on the first pdf

And the forms at present do not show all the allowances and can you be a bit polite with your replies thanks

9 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The advice remains the same DO NOTHING.

Nothing has changed, unless you want it to.

Yes, we have been told just that from Mike Lister and indeed the expat income tax expert Carl Turner and the forms only go to 2024 and does not show the allowances.

Edited by jwest10