Red wine and hangovers

ChaiyaTH

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

White wine is the least likely to cause a hangover of all alcoholic drinks.....so I have read......doesn't stop me preferring to drink red though.

(Drink fresh orange juice in the night....the vitamin C helps breakdown toxins that cause a hangover)

Yeah I know the best ways for hangovers but that is really not the point. I can easily drink 6 glasses of this good wine and have zero hangover issues at all. I noticed it happening a dozen times now, and yes, this wine place is not cheap, it is the good stuff. 

The cheap place, I went yesterday again, I had the same amount, and I am just paying the price now hardcore.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, ChaiyaTH said:

Yeah I know the best ways for hangovers but that is really not the point. I can easily drink 6 glasses of this good wine and have zero hangover issues at all. I noticed it happening a dozen times now, and yes, this wine place is not cheap, it is the good stuff. 

Yikes......not sure I have ever drunk 'good stuff'.

Just now, Will B Good said:

Yikes......not sure I have ever drunk 'good stuff'.

Yeah crazy right. I not really like paying that much more but I can't deny it is true, hence the post.... I am not sure too, maybe it can be avoided with cheap ones too, if knowing specific ones.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Shiraz typically has it and most cheap wines. Read the label.

What would i be looking for? Most of these labels are Thai besides the fact that they not show the actual boxes or bottles in most places. I never drink at home, ever. Good to know to avoid Shiraz if that is true, you better not be lying to me lol.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Once drank a bottle of very cheap red washed down with two bottle bottles of Newcastle brown......inches from death....555

Yeah I just really want to find out because I love my red wine evenings from time to time, much more than the Chang beers.

These hangovers cost me too much time, I just lost half a day so far already and not expect to be worth much until 2-3PM. This while with these 'magical good wines' that did cost around 250 a glass, I feel absolute nothing after a coffee or 2 and a shower.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

Red wine Headache mostly attributable to histamine content. Southern hemisphere wines higher levels than Northern for reasons unknown. White wines invariably lower level than reds.

Interesting as most of the wine that is cheap here, comes from southern hemispheres (south africa, argentina etc etc). This while the expensive ones are from Europe. So we need basically USA or EU wines then to avoid headaches?

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Interesting as most of the wine that is cheap here, comes from southern hemispheres (south africa, argentina etc etc). This while the expensive ones are from Europe.

True enough. The comment about sulphites as preservative is erroneous. In wine it is naturally occurring as part of/ due to fermentation. And is higher in white wines, even higher in sweet wines.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, 0ffshore360 said:

True enough. The comment about sulphites as preservative is erroneous. In wine it is naturally occurring as part of/ due to fermentation. And is higher in white wines, even higher in sweet wines.

Yeah I googled that out already too hehe. Thanks!

• Confused 2

Just now, ChaiyaTH said:

Yeah I googled that out already too hehe. Thanks!

Many years ago in a different phase of life I was involved in wine making on a commercial scale and  issues such as mentioned here were common in discussions.

European wines are "considered" superior . Meaning higher priced. More expensive hangover, not superior hangover.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, 0ffshore360 said:

Many years ago in a different phase of life I was involved in wine making on a commercial scale and  issues such as mentioned here were common in discussions.

European wines are "considered" superior . Meaning higher priced. More expensive hangover, not superior hangover.

Well the french restaurant that always has French / Italian wines, NEVER gave me a bad hangover.

Histamine and tyramine are biogenic amines. This is a group of chemicals that naturally occurs when fermenting grapes. These chemicals may cause headaches by binding to receptors along the blood vessels in the brain. Activating the receptors causes the blood vessels to widen, which may cause headaches.

Just now, BobBKK said:

No, no, no, the cheap wine has nothing to do with taste but TAX. Most boxed wines are fruit wines (it will say it on the box in small print) and they can give you headaches. Rule of thumb: anything under 500, usually, is a fruit wine.

Yeah dohh. but we are in Thailand hence cheap wine does have everything to do with taste.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

No, no, no, the cheap wine has nothing to do with taste but TAX. Most boxed wines are fruit wines (it will say it on the box in small print) and they can give you headaches. Rule of thumb: anything under 500, usually, is a fruit wine.

The headaches are just as bad with expensive wines from those same countries, to my experience. I am aware that box wine is inferior, should not be allowed to call wine. You can see it by the color on the label of the bottles too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

They are fruit wines with added fruit juice to reduce tax is what I was highlighting - they taste like **** obviously.

Well yeah but to remain on topic; i would be happy to drink some cheap box wine, if that is all there is, and it is cheap. But the hangover part is where it matters hehehe. So the question would be if it really is about the hemispheres as in that case, technically, a local produced (box) wine should be safe.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

The headaches are just as bad with expensive wines from those same countries, to my experience. I am aware that box wine is inferior, should not be allowed to call wine.

Ok That's odd I'm a huge wine drinker with 150 wines in my wine cooler here - never get headaches but I do drink 1.5 liters of water every day.