Do people get island fever living on an island?

7 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

Sometimes I feel a little claustrophobic in the island of Australia

That may have little to do with Australia being a large island surrounded by sea & everything to do with being surrounded by Aussies !! 🫣

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

It likely depends on the size of the island, I used to live on Samui and I needed to get off the island every 2 weeks, or I would start going crazy. But that is a very small island and a change of horizon always proved to be very healthy. 

I think that likely applies to nearly anywhere someone is living, but more so on an island. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Hummin said:

As every place in Thailand, do not get stuck.

Islands is better to visit, than living, but if I had to choose one place to live only in Thailand, it would had been an Island.

Make your mind up better to visit or live............:coffee1:

55 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Make your mind up better to visit or live............:coffee1:

I had said before, I do not prefer to live in paradise, because paradise becomes the daily normal, and what then? Better to have places you enjoy visiting, not making them your normal place day by day. Koh Phangan is not in my opinion any paradise anymore, been spoiled by now, but still worth visiting for the reasons listed below. 

But if I did not have too many resources and had the ability to travel as much as I do, I would have Chosen Koh Phangan. There I have everything I like about Thailand for now. 

Cleaner air (or cleaner than most other places, The sea, beaches, hiking possibilities, great gyms, restaurants, off road riding with my motorbike, diving, freediving, kayaking, sup paddling, and hospital. Koh Samui and international airport a short ferry ride away. 

I also like the atmosphere there, and I found more relaxed people visiting and also living there.

But thanks for the confused emotions whoever that was. Great to know you are appreciated when answering something, and people care to give you feedback. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Like what ?

Obvious a smaller island has less to do than the much larger mainland, let's start with golf courses, cycling, I'm sure you could think of some

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Obvious a smaller island has less to do than the much larger mainland, let's start with golf courses, cycling, I'm sure you could think of some

Restaurants, beaches, cafes, gyms, shops. Everything.

Posted (edited)

Yes. Now and then you get island fever.. Its like you want to get out of there suddenly.. However.. The opposite is worse.. Living on the mainland.

Edited by paahlman
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/8/2024 at 9:31 AM, susanlea said:

I hear about this island fever. Is it real? Or just small town itis?

Depending of your life-style – we are all little different – I'm not getting island fever at all; while my Danish ex-girlfriend said that she would, when she was visiting me, if she was going to stay on Koh Samui.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes and none involve golf. 

Koh Chang has most things, Only problem for me is a small hospital with no surgeons, but can be transferred to Trat by a speed boat at night if necessary. And there is a BKH clinic with an ICU ambulance. 

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Koh Chang has most things, Only problem for me is a small hospital with no surgeons, but can be transferred to Trat by a speed boat at night if necessary. And there is a BKH clinic with an ICU ambulance. 

Koh Chang i managed for 3 days, that was enough, you must be easily pleased

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

And you must be easily not pleased, 3 days is not enough to explore Thailand's 3rd biggest Island. I wouldn't live anywhere else especially Pattaya.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I wouldn't live anywhere else especially Pattaya.

Are you trying to escape the drink or maybe on the run? alcoholics often try to move away but of course can't get away from themselves 

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Poor judgement.

I am not easily pleased but I found enough to do on Koh Chang for a week.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just killed 5 days there,  first at a bogus detox spa, and then a return to White Sands Beach after a 27 year lay off.

It's still my favorite island: dramatic scenery, great beaches, all-ages vibe, easy access to other good islands. No flight in has kept it undeveloped.

I recall Koh Wai, which never gets a mention, if B-Thainess has an update, I'd love that.

For comfort (means: with my wife) and air transit, I prefer Samui, but if a person could only visit one island, I'd urge them towards KC -with a Trat overnight. Lovely old town with a lot teak houses still standing.

The Trat seafood restaurant in BKK is in my top 5 Thai restaurants. Cuisine of The Eastern Seaboard is def my favorite Thai-subcategory (see: fishcakes).

There's another Trat-style restaurant in Ari, BKK that gets mentioned in all the "Ari is the BKK mini-Soho" articles (it's not).

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 7/6/2024 at 1:07 AM, Pouatchee said:

555 ok then, taxsin and sreta... that makes two

what a backward thinking country this is. sorry bamnutsak... although i sincerely doesnt happen, i fear the powers that be right now are dead set on re-criminalising it again

i hope they fail. no one should be jailed or branded a criminal for using weed

On 7/8/2024 at 3:31 AM, susanlea said:

I hear about this island fever. Is it real? Or just small town itis?

9 minutes ago, Deputy7 said:

Weed causes many more impaired drivers on the roadway, Thailand has enough now, we don’t need any more!!!

Agreed...  should weed be banned for everyone because some people are irresponsible ayholes and drive while high ?

If so, should booze be banned be banned for everyone because some people are irresponsible ayholes and drive while Drunk ?

Or.. should people who brake the law be targeted and fined heavily ??...    Weed and alchohol are not the problems, people who drive while under the influence area.... 

But, whats that got to do with being on an island ??...   is someone more inclined to smoke and drive on an island than they are in Pai or Khon Kaen ? (for example).

18 minutes ago, Deputy7 said:

Weed causes many more impaired drivers on the roadway, Thailand has enough now, we don’t need any more!!!

excuse me? any stats ort proof of this comment based on ignorance rather than facts?

ill bet that in your life you have driven while under the influence of alcohol and just never got caught. you might still be doing it. one thing is sure, there are far more people boozing up than toking. wow ... may i ask what your bias is based on?

taxin feels the same way. i guess you aint been around long enough. in the late 90's early 2000's he had a shoot first ask questions later war on drugs. he even got reprimanded internationally.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2008/03/12/thailands-war-drugs

In the first three months of the campaign there were some 2800 extrajudicial killings.

but i guess your ok with that