Train collision in Phichit leaves five dead, two injured

image.jpeg

A tragic accident occurred yesterday, July 8, when a train collided with a pickup truck at an unguarded crossing in Ban Ratchachangkhwan, Phichit Province, resulting in five fatalities and two severe injuries. The victims were en route to a relative’s funeral.

The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) expressed its condolences to the families affected by the incident. The collision happened between Phichit and Taphan Hin stations involving a brown Nissan pickup truck. The accident occurred on the Phichit-Taphan Hin route. Despite the presence of warning signs and signals, the crash resulted in two injuries and five deaths.

According to initial investigations, the pickup truck was travelling from Mueang district, Phichit province, to attend a funeral at Wat Ratchachangkhwan. In response to the accident, the SRT dispatched officials to the scene to provide immediate assistance and humanitarian aid to the injured and the families of the deceased.

SRT Office Governor Ekrach Sriarayenpong reported that the incident was officially recorded at 6.07pm yesterday, July 8. The train involved was a train running from Bangkok to Phitsanulok. The train’s locomotive suffered damage and had to return to Taphan Hin station for a replacement before resuming its journey.

The SRT has been actively addressing the issue of accidents at level crossings by educating the public and local communities about safety measures and the importance of adhering to traffic laws. The agency also ensures that warning signs and signals are adequately placed to prevent future incidents.

Immediate measures have been taken by the SRT to address illegal crossings. Officials have been tasked with identifying and mitigating these crossings, either by closing them or collaborating with local government agencies to install automatic barriers.

However, the SRT faces challenges as locals often request the reopening of these closed crossings for convenience or use them without permission, reported KhaoSod.

by Ryan Turner

mage courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-09

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

Thats not a tragic accident - its the consequence of extreme negligence while driving. 

A Tragic loss - but how is it possible for so many drivers here to so frequently ignore signals and not check such crossings ?...   (it happens a lot elsewhere too...)... 

... Is it just normal human behavior and complacency ?? - they make that crossing so regularly not looking becomes second nature as they hardly ever encounter a train so don't expect to so such a degree they don't even think to look...

... But to ignore the signals adds an extra layer of negligence (unless the signals were not working).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Was the RRX  not visible or an ‘illegal’ crossing?  It would help the reader if a photo was seen so we can guard against such crossing!

52 minutes ago, tau152 said:

Was the RRX  not visible or an ‘illegal’ crossing?  It would help the reader if a photo was seen so we can guard against such crossing!

This video is the best I can find, it was a legal crossing with no barrier, but warning signs and signals.

“Train driver Mr. Pinij Waisotikan and train attendant Mr. Nares Mandee recounted that they were departing Phichit Station for Phitsanulok when the pickup truck suddenly crossed the unguarded railway crossing. Despite sounding the train’s horn, the collision was unavoidable.”

Video edit from this Thai news link.

https://www.fm91bkk.com/newsarticle/33025#google_vignette

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

its the consequence of extreme negligence while driving. 

I wouldn't call it negligence, I call it gross stupidity for going around the barriers and ignoring flashing red lights, thinking the can beat a train, usual Thai driving Me First Me Me Me.

• Thumbs Up 2