NATO Summit Zelensky Urges Immediate Aid “Everyone is waiting for November.”

Social Media

image.png.2aded04a845408a4fa89c005a0bf7303.png

In a passionate appeal during his visit to Washington for a pivotal NATO summit, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky called on international leaders to provide immediate aid to his beleaguered country, stressing the urgency of the situation. “Everyone is waiting for November,” Zelensky declared, referencing the upcoming 2024 US presidential election and the possibility of Donald Trump’s return to power. This uncertainty, he warned, is a waiting game that Russian President Vladimir Putin is also playing.

“It’s time to step out of the shadows, to make strong decisions work, to act and not to wait for November or any other month,” Zelensky urged. “To this end, we must be strong and uncompromising altogether. And first of all, America, and first of all, the leaders of America, and the president of the United States as a leader of the free world, to be uncompromising in defending democracy. Uncompromising against Putin and his country. Uncompromising to every possible terror.”

These remarks were delivered at the Ronald Reagan Institute in Washington, where the summit has prioritized providing long-term support for Ukraine amid its ongoing conflict with Russia. Zelensky's agenda in the coming days includes shoring up and boosting allied support for Ukraine and meeting with President Joe Biden.

Zelensky emphasized the need for America to provide more substantial support to Ukraine and other allies bordering Russia. “We have proven more than once that the more we have, the harder it is for Putin to make war. He still thinks that war might pay. He still thinks that humiliating America might pay,” he said. He further asserted that Ukraine “can significantly limit Russian actions in south Ukraine and push the occupiers out of there if the American leadership assists us with the necessary deep strike capabilities against Russian military and logistics in our Ukrainian Crimea.”

The US has pledged significant announcements regarding Ukraine during the three-day summit, which President Biden inaugurated with plans to supply new air defenses to Ukraine. NATO members have been clear that Ukraine is the main focus of the summit, with a European diplomat noting, “The priority one, two, and three is Ukraine.”

Despite these assurances, concerns remain about whether the shows of support will suffice as the war continues with no clear resolution in sight. The potential impact of the 2024 US presidential election, particularly if Trump is re-elected, casts a shadow over the proceedings. Zelensky expressed hope that a Trump presidency would not alter US policy towards Ukraine. “I hope that if people of America vote for President Trump, I hope his policy with Ukraine will not change,” Zelensky said in an interview with Fox News’ Bret Baier. He noted that while he doesn’t know Trump “very well,” their meetings during Trump’s administration were positive.

Zelensky’s visit to the US follows deadly Russian attacks on Ukrainian cities, including a missile strike on Ukraine’s largest children’s hospital. The attack killed over three dozen people. Addressing Russian officials’ denials of responsibility, Zelensky stated, “Russia always knows where its missiles hit. Always.”

In response to these attacks, the US and some NATO allies announced on Tuesday evening they would provide Ukraine with additional Patriot batteries and other systems to strengthen Kyiv’s air defenses. The US, Germany, and Romania will each contribute a Patriot battery, while the Netherlands will collaborate with other countries to supply an additional battery. Italy will also provide a SAMP-T long-range air defense system.

Zelensky expressed his gratitude on social media: “This is yet another significant step following the US decision to prioritize Ukraine in air defense missile deliveries. I am grateful to President Biden for his leadership and to all partner countries for their commitment to providing us with air defense capabilities as quickly as possible.” He emphasized the importance of a unified and strong response to Russia’s air terror, which includes the brutal strike on the children’s hospital.

Officials believe the timing of Moscow’s assault was deliberate, coinciding with the start of the summit. Ruslan Stefanchuk, the chair of Ukraine’s parliament, described it as “a hello from Putin to all the NATO countries … making fun of us trying to follow red lines.” The attack underscored the urgent need for continued military support for Ukraine and the necessity of being able to strike targets deep within Russian territory.

“This attack, this attack on Ukraine’s future – because children are our future – shall not remain unresponded,” Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said alongside US Secretary of State Antony Blinken. He stressed the importance of strengthening Ukraine’s defense capabilities. Stefanchuk echoed this sentiment, calling for “a stable and forecastable supply of these weapons,” ammunition, and the ability to effectively counter aerial threats, including the need for F-16 fighter jets. He also underscored the necessity of imposing sanctions that would make Russia feel the economic pain of the war.

Zelensky has stated that Kyiv will fight for “decisive actions” from the United States and Europe at the summit. Ukraine is also seeking clear progress toward NATO membership, a matter that caused a diplomatic spat last year. Zelensky had expressed frustration over the lack of a set time frame for Ukraine’s invitation to NATO. However, this year, there has been greater communication with Ukrainian officials ahead of the summit. A European diplomat mentioned “deep and frank conversations” with Ukrainian officials, including a visit by Presidential adviser Andriy Yermak to Washington to work on commitments.

As reported by CNN, Ukraine’s path to NATO was described as “irreversible” in a draft of the alliance’s joint communiqué, although some believe there must be a stronger commitment. A senior European diplomat quipped, “this irreversibility is very much reversible.”

A senior Biden administration official highlighted the substantial nature of NATO’s commitments to Ukraine, which include setting up a command at Wiesbaden and coordinating training, equipping, logistics, and force development. “We’re not talking about some sort of plan for how they’re going to get from here to there. We’re talking about standing up an entire command at Wiesbaden and we’ll look at how we do these various pieces that I mentioned earlier – training, coordination, equipping, coordination, logistics, force development.

This is a very serious effort to get Ukraine in a position, as I said earlier, where it will be ready to assume its roles and responsibilities within the alliance on day one,” the official said. He added, “I’ll let the Ukrainians speak for themselves, but I think they understand the value of what NATO will be doing for that.”

The urgency of Zelensky’s call for immediate and unwavering support from international leaders is a clear reminder of the high stakes involved in the ongoing conflict. The outcomes of this NATO summit could have profound implications for Ukraine’s future and the broader geopolitical landscape.

Credit: CNN 2024-07-11

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Silly me, I thought they were being serious, but 5 batteries!!!!!!

This isn't a country the size of Singapore, it's quite large, so if they protect the capital, the missiles go elsewhere.

BTW, doesn't matter how many batteries they have if the enemy sends more drones/ missiles than they have defense missiles, and the cost of those missiles is astronomical.

Still, it's all good propaganda to keep the easily impressed OK with sending their tax money to Ukraine.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds like escalation to me. Next step MAD.

If they don't do enough you amuse yourself by claiming they're not being serious, then when they do enough you claim next step MAD. 

The only one not being taken seriously is you.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

What exactly do you mean by "a more direct manner"? Do you want NATO ground forces in Ukraine and at war with Russia? Because that would be idiocy.

Naa I’d like NATO to establish 100% air superiority indirect every bullet every morsel of food nock down putins Kerch bridge and starve the criminals out of Ukraine with that kind of help Ukraine won’t need nato troops 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Silly me, I thought they were being serious, but 5 batteries!!!!!!

This isn't a country the size of Singapore, it's quite large, so if they protect the capital, the missiles go elsewhere.

BTW, doesn't matter how many batteries they have if the enemy sends more drones/ missiles than they have defense missiles, and the cost of those missiles is astronomical.

Still, it's all good propaganda to keep the easily impressed OK with sending their tax money to Ukraine.

Z infected Snark-o-rama.

5 is better than 0. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

So, World War Three to save a country that organizations like Freedom House describe as only "partly free" and rather corrupt.  

Nice one.  You willing to throw YOUR sons and nephews onto the fire? I'm not.  I did my time in the military, as did my brother and my cousin. We all agree that this conflict is best ended ASAP.

Translation-resistance is futile give Putin what he wants or else!

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Tug said:

Nice dodge. Now, care to answer the question , or just toss about more random platitudes?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Z infected Snark-o-rama.

5 is better than 0. 

5 is just enough to give them false hope, and perpetuate the dying.

Zero brings them to the bargaining table (with realistic expectations), the dying stops and the rebuilding starts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tug said:

Give Putin what he's already got?  Look at the battle map from over a year ago, and look at the map today. Tell me what all the death has accomplished.  Zip.  Zero. Nada.  Just a bunch of grieving families.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

Give Putin what he's already got?  Look at the battle map from over a year ago, and look at the map today. Tell me what all the death has accomplished.  Zip.  Zero. Nada.  Just a bunch of grieving families.

They have managed to occupy 17% of Ukraine the orks don’t know from one minute to the next if they are going to get killed.im sure glad FDR didn’t abandon England in the 40s unfortunately we could only send material untle Japan attacked us.putin needs to get out of Ukraine his country will continue to be hemmed in on all sides till the Russian people have had enough of putin

25 minutes ago, Tug said:

They have managed to occupy 17% of Ukraine the orks don’t know from one minute to the next if they are going to get killed.im sure glad FDR didn’t abandon England in the 40s unfortunately we could only send material untle Japan attacked us.putin needs to get out of Ukraine his country will continue to be hemmed in on all sides till the Russian people have had enough of putin

17% is a lot more than Putin expected as occupying Ukraine was never and still isn’t one of his objectives, in spite of the false narratives pushed by western media and leaders. I won’t blame him for not returning it though as it acts as a buffer zone and would go some way towards offsetting the 300 billion they are trying to steal.

As for the Russian people having enough of him, the overwhelming majority supports him as evidenced by the recent election. He will likely go down in Russian history as one of their greatest leaders. Increasing productivity, GDP, growing economy, emerging as a global leader, at a time when the west is either stagnated or falling into a recession.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

17% is a lot more than Putin expected as occupying Ukraine was never and still isn’t one of his objectives, in spite of the false narratives pushed by western media and leaders. I won’t blame him for not returning it though as it acts as a buffer zone and would go some way towards offsetting the 300 billion they are trying to steal.

As for the Russian people having enough of him, the overwhelming majority supports him as evidenced by the recent election. He will likely go down in Russian history as one of their greatest leaders. Increasing productivity, GDP, growing economy, emerging as a global leader, at a time when the west is either stagnated or falling into a recession.

He thought he would have ALL of Ukraine in the bag in 2 weeks stop it lol 😂 

13 minutes ago, Tug said:

He thought he would have ALL of Ukraine in the bag in 2 weeks stop it lol 😂 

If that’s what you think, you obviously have very little grasp of international affairs lol

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1