Everybody is born and dies the same way

15 minutes ago, susanlea said:

The opposite is true. A self assured person doesn't need material items to feel good about themselves. This is the essence of buddhism.

Are you a buddhist?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Gottfrid said:

How does that matter? Do you think he was forced? 🤣

Fake monk images are your source of info? There's a million dumb images out there. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

You think? Ok, then just answer what was wrong with my first post, in you second topic today. That might be a reason. 

I also think you know where the blocking possibilties are, right? Stop your nonsense.!

I think you are rambling on. Those 4am starts are no good for you. 

• Sad 4

19 minutes ago, susanlea said:

The opposite is true. A self assured person doesn't need material items to feel good about themselves. This is the essence of buddhism.

I wonder why it is then that Thais are, in my experience, the worlds worst accumulators of junk.

• Agree 2

Just now, susanlea said:

I think you are rambling on. Those 4am starts are no good for you. 

Why do you have a problem with my schedule? I am ok with it.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Fake monk images are your source of info? There's a million dumb images out there. 

It was you that took it as an example, right?

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Buying things you do not need, is a poor substitute for something missing in life, like hang out here to much. Im going to make changes, and quit my present job, and move. To much time to do nothing like being here way to much. 

I notice how 90% of responses are people attacking the op. Happens on every topic. Lots of really uptight defensive people. Very strange.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

3 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Posted this before from The Onion. For those who can be bothered a message from The Buddha:

When I think back to my time on earth, I have few regrets. The path I took, the simple life of a monk, allowed me to achieve the highest state of enlightenment. As one who renounced worldly attachments, I was free to lead a contemplative existence and to then share my wisdom with others. That said, I have to admit that if I were to do it all over again, I would probably choose to have at least a few possessions.

Not too many, of course. Maybe 10 possessions—20, tops.

To be sure, desiring earthly possessions only binds one to this life, and all beings must free themselves from the shackles of materialism to reach nirvana. That’s why, if I were to have a few belongings, I’d limit them to just some essentials: a fan, perhaps, to cool myself with, or a candle, so I could continue my study of ancient texts when the sun goes down. It’s not as if owning a candle would’ve halted my spiritual awakening. How could it? It’s just a candle, right?

I’ve always said that it is not objects themselves but our unwavering devotion to them that stands in the way of karmic progress and, ultimately, true awakening. With that in mind, I can’t help but wonder if it really would’ve been such a big deal if I’d had a pen or two to write with—not coveting pens or obsessing over them or anything like that, just having a reliable writing implement that’s great for copying down spiritual insights. If I lost the pen, I’d be absolutely fine with that, but there’s nothing about being liberated from the stranglehold of temporal attachment that says I shouldn’t be able to make a mark on a piece of paper.

And come to think of it, a canteen would’ve been a huge help. I probably would’ve attained perfect enlightenment sooner—a lot sooner—if I hadn’t had to stop meditating beneath the Bodhi tree and walk to the river Niranjana every single time I got thirsty.

I understand, perhaps better than anyone, how vital meditation is to finding the freedom that awaits us at the end of the eightfold path. And you know what would’ve made meditating a hell of a lot easier? A tent. Nothing big or ornate, just a humble cloth shelter to help keep the rain and wind off my body. It’s not as though a tent would’ve stopped me from teaching my disciples to forsake earthly things. I would just say, “Dispossess yourself of all things, except a tent. And maybe a blanket.” Pillows, an obvious worldly luxury, would be forbidden.

Oh, you know what else would’ve been great? A tea kettle. I would have killed for a tea kettle.

A sweater or a jacket really wouldn’t have been the end of the world either, and there’s also a lot to be said for a decent pair of shoes. And what harm would there have been in having, say, a flute? It’d be nice to unwind with some music at the end of a long day of rigorous reflection. Again, I’m talking about very modest possessions here. Nothing you couldn’t easily fit in a satchel, which, yes, would’ve been nifty as well.

How about a little carving of a monkey? Honestly, I think it would’ve been fun to have had that to look at from time to time—a wooden one, nothing carved from precious stones or anything. I can’t imagine not being able to break free from the eternal cycle of death and rebirth because of a tiny monkey figurine, can you?

If I’m being completely honest, it’s not just the lack of possessions I regret. I also probably spent way too much of my time on earth meditating. Just sitting there on the hard ground doing nothing but pondering the infinite day after day when there are so many wonderful things to see and do in the world. I could’ve meditated just once a week and probably been perfectly fine. What a waste. I lived 80 years, and frankly, I blew it. I should have just tried to enjoy myself.

Seriously, why suffer?

20 sounds about right.

1 minute ago, 123Stodg said:

My house is shelter and refuge that keeps me safe and protects me from the elements. It is filled with things that keep me healthy and strong. Food, a bed to get good sleep. Clothes to protect me from the weather and sun. It is also filled with tools that I use to create my artwork and I use them to create the art that gives me and my viewers pleasure. It is also filled with things that inspire and make me more creative. They create passion and joy. You are in way over your head. This whole discussions is based on ignorance and is so silly and mindless. 

You must be really unhappy.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, susanlea said:
1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

I wonder why it is then that Thais are, in my experience, the worlds worst accumulators of junk.

8 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Because most don't understand buddhism.

A candid answer which I totally agree with.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, susanlea said:

I notice how 90% of responses are people attacking the op. Happens on every topic. Lots of really uptight defensive people. Very strange.

90% of the people here are unsatisfied. Simple as that. Not even trying to do something about it, neither try to understand why. Always an excuse 

Edited by Hummin
  • Sad 1

I guess the OP is very quick to post when it doesn´t matter, but not very eager to deal with the opposition. Maybe stayed in Thailand to long and learned from the elite. 😉 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Gottfrid said:

I guess the OP is very quick to post when it doesn´t matter, but not very eager to deal with the opposition. Maybe stayed in Thailand to long and learned from the elite. 😉 

4am :cheesy: 

Good luck.

• Confused 1

Just now, Hummin said:

90% of the people here are unsatisfied. Simple as that. Not even trying to do something about it, neither try to under why. Always an excuse 

Yeah, and the other 10% is a happy bunch of people, that do not need to hear or listen to BS!

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

90% of the people here are unsatisfied. Simple as that. Not even trying to do something about it, neither try to under why. Always an excuse 

I think so. Everytime somebody starts a topic loads of people go on the rage.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, and the other 10% is a happy bunch of people, that do not need to hear or listen to BS!

Most people are unsatisfied at one point or more in life, but do something about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1