Bangkok launches major drug prevention initiative with urine tests

webfact

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

amphetamine use is a huge problem for families, medical staff and society in general.

ย 

And so is drink driving you raging hypocrite.

ย 

ย 

i donโ€™t condone drink driving universally, although same people are perfecting fine doing it.

ย 

You 'don't condone drink driving universally'...ย  ย you just condone it when you do it yourself...ย  hypocrite...ย  ย 

ย 

But not you Young Richard, anything more than two beers and you are affected.

ย 

Quite possibly.. thats why I don't drink and drive...ย  You mention this point score as if there is something wrong knowing I shouldn't drive after two beers... Pathetic hypocrisy again.

ย 

ย 

I do agree that amphetamines is an issue for 'some of society' and that needs to be dealt with.

Just as drink driving is an issue for ALL of society, and people like you need to be dealt with.

ย 

However, testing children (12 year olds) would contravene various laws (Child Protection Act 2003), the police in Thailand are not even allowed to question children without a parent present.

ย 

But...ย  it seems you only care about the laws that suit you, others you can ignore.ย 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dart12 said:

As for "who" won'tย  get the tests.ย  Idk.ย ย 

But I know who definitely WILL.ย  Non asian foreigners.

Absolute nonsense you have imagined.ย 

ย 

ย 

Not imagined at all..ย  ย Had you not been a newbie to Thailand you'd know about this.

ย 

The Thonglor Police were notorious for stopping foreigners in the street and forcing them to take a urine test - thisย  became such an issue and drew such publicity embassies got involved and the corrupt police had to back down.

• Sad 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

They did this in our village two weeks ago. The Wife simply said She was off for a drug urine test. When I asked why She said everyone in the village has to be tested.

But not you.

being a non Asian foreigner has its perks.

ย 

They're possibly going off the 'house registration'....ย  ย ย 

ย 

BUT... this is a huge contravention of rights - the Police cannot drug test people without reason (The Narcotic Control Act)

ย 

While police have certain powers, they must also operate within the legal framework and respect individual rights. Arbitrary or unjustified drug testing without reasonable suspicion could be challenged legally.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

this is a huge contravention of rights - the Police cannot drug test people without reason

They can, and do.

i suggest if you donโ€™t like it here pack your bags and head to Don Mueang.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Says the bloke who has just got here.......................๐Ÿคซ

As you know mate, back in our country there is a lot of push back against immigrants who show up and demand everything to be same in their countries WHEN it suits them.ย 
ย 

Nothing worse. Locals hate them

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:
17 minutes ago, transam said:

Says the bloke who has just got here.......................๐Ÿคซ

As you know mate, back in our country there is a lot of push back against immigrants who show up and demand everything to be same in their countries WHEN it suits them.ย 
ย 

ย 

Another flawed response - no one is demanding everything to be the same as the countries from which we originate...ย 

ย 

...ย  The statement is that there are Thai laws which would be contravened if enforcing drugs tests on the general population and children without reason...ย  ย 

ย 

Thats not an overseas law - its a law in Thailand....

ย 

ย 

It suits me perfectly that more of society are drugs tested - its safer for my family and I to be travelling around with fewer people on the roads who are under the influence on amphetamine...ย  ย the same goes for alcohol... So, I'm all for the testing....ย 

ย 

But I am not all for the police abusing their own powers - drugs testing any member of the public without a valid reason is illegal...ย  ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Marco51 said:

Mnors down to 12 years, elderly up to 65, women pee in cups probably under the observation of male cops , farang too?, male and female?, all ages? where will this happen? In the streets , pubs, restaurants, bars, cinemas.....daytime or only for people who dare to walk the city at night?ย ย 

You need to read the OP more carefully.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

ย 

They're possibly going off the 'house registration'....ย  ย ย 

ย 

BUT... this is a huge contravention of rights - the Police cannot drug test people without reason (The Narcotic Control Act)

ย 

While police have certain powers, they must also operate within the legal framework and respect individual rights. Arbitrary or unjustified drug testing without reasonable suspicion could be challenged legally.

I have been reading your posts and replies Richard. Other than your arguments with another person here. Your posts seem like either you do not live in Thailand or that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Police operating within their legal right? Arbitrary or unjust drug testing? You do not know Thailand police that well i can safely assume. They do what they want. Most people would never challenge them knowing it could get worse for them. As for arbitrary and unjust? If you are sitting at a bar with your gf having a beer. i would like to see what happens to you when you throw those words back at the police who came in to test everyone and you refused. Surely it will not be pleasant. The same could be said if they stop you on the street walking around shopping. Haha! You will be screaming rights all the way to the police station in handcuffs.ย 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

ย 

Thought you were from Australia..........๐Ÿ˜‰.........Mate.........:whistling:

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Thought you were from Australia..........๐Ÿ˜‰.........Mate.........:whistling:

The three stooges all on the same thread with absurd, off topic replies.

Join in the chorus.ย 
Havenโ€™t you men got anything better to do.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

I have been reading your posts and replies Richard. Your posts seem like either you do not live in Thailand or that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.ย 

I thought he lived here but didnโ€™t know what he was talking about.

ย 

But now ย think about it, I think you might be right.ย 
ย 

Always harping on but usually with statements that are wrong. Similar to the other two. They donโ€™t mind misquoting either when it suits them.

• Confused 3

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

Boy, that is a LOT of urine, so what now? they gonna stop people in the street and ask them to pee into a testing tube

or drag them to the police station to do it? either way, too little too late and it's not a workable method to control

the use of drugs...

ย 

Sounds like it's a community project, so presumably they'll house-to-house.

19 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Haha! You will be screaming rights all the way to the police station in handcuffs.ย 

Some people just are not cut out for life here.

Luckily for them Bangkok has two airports Suvarnaphumi and Don Mueang.

ย 

ย 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

I have been reading your posts and replies Richard. Other than your arguments with another person here. Your posts seem like either you do not live in Thailand or that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Police operating within their legal right? Arbitrary or unjust drug testing? You do not know Thailand police that well i can safely assume. They do what they want. Most people would never challenge them knowing it could get worse for them. As for arbitrary and unjust?

ย 

I've been here for over two decades...ย  ย  I know very well what I can and cannot get away with when dealing with those in positions of authority.

ย 

I've had dealings with the police here, I have friends well placed with the police force here.ย 

ย 

I know exactly what I am talking of - when a lowly police officer tries to 'pull a stunt' and you politely but calmly hold firm, they very quickly recognise that you are not a fresh arrival.

ย 

I've been stopped on a handful of occasions over the years in Bangkok...ย  on all but one occasions the police quickly backed down... on one of those occasions the group of police did not back down and the stop seemed like an obvious attempt at extortion (corner of Asoke in Bangkok - the area at the time was notorious for this)... I refused to get out of the taxi, called a police friend and handed the officer my phone - I was on my way again within minutes.

ย 

Regardless of how you or others think on this forum - I've been here long enough to know exactly how to deal with these situations.

ย 

If you are sitting at a bar with your gf having a beer. i would like to see what happens to you when you throw those words back at the police who came in to test everyone and you refused. Surely it will not be pleasant.

ย 

You may sit at bars with your girlfriend... but that sounds a bit sexpatty-soi-sixish / nana-ish...ย 

... Its not something my Wife and I do...ย 

ย 

It seems you've projected from your limited world here...ย  you've perhaps yet to come full circle in here Thailand and understand what its really like.

ย 

The same could be said if they stop you on the street walking around shopping. Haha! You will be screaming rights all the way to the police station in handcuffs.ย 

ย 

On this - IF the police have just reason to drugs test a person - it has to be done at the station, they are then within their rights and your rights will not have been violated - but they have to give you a reason (which to a friend of mine was, you fit the description of a foreigner who was reported dealing drugs in the area - then there is not much that can be done).

ย 

Nearly always with the police, I'm polite and comply, while driving at a police check-point I'll open my windows so they can see in easily, at night I'll turn on the interior light...ย  I'm happy to make it easy for them to see me etc.. But I won't pi$$ on the side of the road for them and if they push for that or indicate something untoward they will be met with resistance.

ย 

... and on that last point, I do agree - while its easier and probably better to simply comply, especially for someone who is unable to communicate effectively here, there remains a line.

... If people such as yourself are easily intimidated, then you'll allow the police to cross that line...ย  other's have more spine and know how react in such situations.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

I thought he lived here but didnโ€™t know what he was talking about.

ย 

But now ย think about it, I think you might be right.ย 
ย 

Always harping on but usually with statements that are wrong. Similar to the other two. They donโ€™t mind misquoting either when it suits them.

ย 

An amusing statement from someone who's been here for such a short time...ย  ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Deputy7 said:

This is a great program, it will prevent many future drug addicts and reduce the number of traffic fatalities!!! Drugs Kill.

ย 

Its flawed... Go after the dealers...ย  Go after those bringing it into the country and producing it in country...ย 

ย 

Ever thought about how all these drugs get into Thailand, how they are distributed within Thailand?

ย 

A lot of very powerful people make a lot of money on the back of all this...ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

ย 

Its flawed... Go after the dealers...ย  Go after those bringing it into the country and producing it in country...ย 

ย 

Ever thought about how all these drugs get into Thailand, how they are distributed with in Thailand ?ย  ย ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

They are already patrolling along the borders for incoming drugs. I agree, always go after the dealers, but these addicts will turn in the dealers in a lot of cases. Itโ€™s a start!

ย 

ย 

9 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

They already do that in Thailand, usually around factory areas at going home times.

it is an effective deterrent.

a lot of employers also have unannounced random tests for workers which is also a good deterrent.

ย 

they should do it at schools also.ย 

ย 

you must really have been bullied by some really bad pot heads as a kid. your attitude towards freedom of rights borders on neo-fascism every time there is a report on drugs. bet you dont dink and dive... right?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Deputy7 said:
7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

ย 

ย 

Ever thought about how all these drugs get into Thailand, how they are distributed with in Thailand ?ย  ย ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

They are already patrolling along the borders for incoming drugs. I agree, always go after the dealers, but these addicts will turn in the dealers in a lot of cases. Itโ€™s a start!

ย 

Much higher than that - those 'allowing' the product across the borders are closer to the issue, they're following orders.

ย 

We'll see someone get caught from time to time - this plays the media game for the public...ย ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Thumbs Up 1