Foreigner and Thai woman get into heated argument on BTS (video)

6 hours ago, stoner said:

f**kin* american. see i'm not being rude either you f**k.

Well, your first usage of f*** is similar to the way he used the word, not particularly polite and perhaps rude to some people - debatable. Your second usage, however, is very different than how he used it. He did not swear AT her, as you did, and as the news story claimed he did. He was using it as a modifier (often used as an intensifier - an adverb, or simply to modify a noun), just as you did in your first usage. Your second usage was definitely swearing AT him. I don't think that is as debatable, and would pretty much universally be considered rude. Generally speaking, his telling her to shut up would be considered rude, more so than using "F***" as a modifier. It may be crass, but rude? A very subjective judgement.
And his claiming that she doesn't speak English is a stupid, ill-informed statement. It may or may not have been intended as an insult. Being that he showed already how crass he is, it could be that he was just continuing in that manner, speaking his mind. Telling how he believes things to be, very directly. Although, I can fathom such scenarios... personally, would I have been surprised if that woman's husband or boyfriend cold-cocked him? Nope. And I probably would have liked it. What was going through his head is anyone's guess. I reserve my right to subjective interpretation 😆

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Hey tough guy...

Try pulling a stunt like that on a NYC subway car and see what happens.

I'd say, pretty much anywhere in the US. Probably many other countries would yield the same result.

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thailand needs to clean up, too much foreign trash here now. 

I agree.

China, England and the US are the biggest contributors to that mountain of worthless trash. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If there is room behind you on a train, but you refuse to let people get past you, you are going to be moved by someone who knows how.  It's easy.

You turn your back to the person (or people blocking the way) with your hands down at your sides. You bend your knees, dipping down just 3-4 inches, then simultaneously lean back against the blockage, pressing with your legs as you stand back up. A simple T'ai Chi movement.  A small person can move several larger ones this way. No words, no eye contact, nothing other than pressing oneself into the train. There is always room for one more.

image.png

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thailand needs to clean up, too much foreign trash here now. 

I agree.

China, England and the US are the biggest contributors to that mountain of worthless trash. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Geez...what an utter pric* and total embarrassment for foreigners. 

This piece of ignorant white thrash is just what gives us a bad name.

Apologies calm Thai lady. 

The article said he looked Chinese

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If the guy in the video is actually American, he knows very well it's extremely rude to tell a stranger to "<deleted> off" under those circumstances.  It's  especially bad because he raised his voice to use the worst possible language to a Thai woman when he's a guest in her country.  For him to say it's not rude because she doesn't understand English makes him seem stupid as well as rude.

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

There are no laws anywhere in the world that state you have to be polite or nice to anyone.

It's a matter of interpretation, but Thailand has strict laws regarding lèse-majesté.  There are also laws regading respect towards monks and behavior in temples and religious shrines.  I know of a farang teenager who was arrested and caught a beating from police in BKK for climbing on a Budddha image to have his picture taken.  A few years back there was the case of the gay U.S. couple who were arrested, imprisoned for a week or so  and heavily fined before deportation for "mooning" in front of a temple.

Regardless of legality, a foreigmer who acts in a culturally inappropriate manner may catch a very heavy dose of Thai street justice. I've seen it happen more than once.  For me, it's mostly a matter of common sense.  I find it far more effective in any situation to remain polite and calm than to tell someone to <deleted> off.  I've ridden the Bangkok BTS dozens of times and "Excuse me, please," has always worked well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but swearing in public in and of itself is not a crime.

In some U.S. states and cities/towns, it is a misdemeanor to swear in public, although such laws aren't enforced often.   All over the U.S. and in other countries, swearing can become unlawful if it is used to harass an individual; disturbs the peace or amounts to disorderly conduct.

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There are no laws anywhere in the world that state you have to be polite or nice to anyone.

Correct me if I'm wrong but swearing in public in and of itself is not a crime.

Only if coupled with the threat of violence can it then be construed as assault/battery, which is a crime.

That guy was rude.

So what?

rude people are everywhere. 

Thais are also very rude.

I have had a hell of a lot worse shouted at/done to me by locals over the years..

I think this is just another case of farang shaming and the fact that the woman sent her recorded clip to news agencies just goes to show how petty they really are.

bob.

It took me one day to learn how to say hello, thank you, excuse me, and sorry in the Thai language! You are a guest in THEIR country. Learn their language and their culture. The Yanker was rude, disrespectful, and aggressive in his tone of voice towards the woman.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, zyphodb said:

Yes, lots do, in lots of countries...

WOW! Really? Family gatherings must be so enjoyable and pleasant.

Never realized until today such pleasantries existed!

Lovely countries, lovely people...I wish I had the blessing to experience those before!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, twizzian said:

I noticed there were mostly women amongst this buffoon.

Thai men around him, different outcome probably.

That's how these Rambos and their accomplices act.

5 hours ago, mr336 said:

I could swear I hears slight French accent🤣. That is one big A hole. Don’t think he’d be talkin to another dude that way. 

Might be Canadian would explain the French language !

7 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

I predict next year Thai's will be protesting at the open door policies for visitors. 

With A....holes like that American would you blame them. 

1 hour ago, Sig said:

Well, your first usage of f*** is similar to the way he used the word, not particularly polite and perhaps rude to some people - debatable. Your second usage, however, is very different than how he used it. He did not swear AT her, as you did, and as the news story claimed he did. He was using it as a modifier (often used as an intensifier - an adverb, or simply to modify a noun), just as you did in your first usage. Your second usage was definitely swearing AT him. I don't think that is as debatable, and would pretty much universally be considered rude. Generally speaking, his telling her to shut up would be considered rude, more so than using "F***" as a modifier. It may be crass, but rude? A very subjective judgement.
And his claiming that she doesn't speak English is a stupid, ill-informed statement. It may or may not have been intended as an insult. Being that he showed already how crass he is, it could be that he was just continuing in that manner, speaking his mind. Telling how he believes things to be, very directly. Although, I can fathom such scenarios... personally, would I have been surprised if that woman's husband or boyfriend cold-cocked him? Nope. And I probably would have liked it. What was going through his head is anyone's guess. I reserve my right to subjective interpretation 😆

thanks for pointing out that he is an expert in English grammar usage, most would not have picked up on that point and just considered him to be rude, crude and ignorant. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

They should just move on the train to let people on, instead of being selfish.

But in Thailand people don't say anything. You don't get confronted for your rude behavior, so people get away with this crap all the time.

It never occurs to them that someone will say something and bruise their little ego.

You hit the nail on the head, this is Thailand and it’s Thai behaviour, if you don’t like it or it upsets you move on, there is no need to carry on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

All over the U.S. and in other countries, swearing can become unlawful if it is used to harass an individual; disturbs the peace or amounts to disorderly conduct.

In Thailand that is actually a criminal code too. You can file a police complaint if someone does that to you.

Edited by BakedPanda

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Others agreed with the foreign man that many Thai passengers ignore others and always stand at the door for their convenience when getting off.

I think that Thailand should do what The Japanese do in Tokyo and Osaka, and other stations:

Problem solved.

And...

No bad language, either!

8 hours ago, Mason45 said:

The guy is a total a** hole but again if a Thai guy were to do the same thing the media wouldn't have a thing to do with it.

I think it would have been on the Thai media. Thai media is full of Thais behaving badly. But foreign controlled media would only show the most extreme of it.

2 hours ago, Owiee said:

You hit the nail on the head, this is Thailand and it’s Thai behaviour, if you don’t like it or it upsets you move on, there is no need to carry on. 

Yeah, it seems like he didn't want to get into an argument with her.

According to the OP he was "muttering complaints" as he walked into the train.

It doesn't sound like he was complaining to her specifically or any particular person, just in general complaining about all the people not moving inside. 

But she heard his mutterings (knowing it was about her and her people) and decided to confront him and film it to post online.

They got into a heated argument at that point.

Honestly, I don't think this guy did anything wrong whatsoever.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The foreign man, who spoke in an American accent but had the look of a Chinese man

Koran descent from somewhere in the northern mid-west, Chicago or Detroit or whatever. Why didn’t anyone toss him off before the next stop?

3 hours ago, Lopburikid said:

It took me one day to learn how to say hello, thank you, excuse me, and sorry in the Thai language!

He said he did ask in Thai first, but nobody moved to let them on

You are a guest in THEIR country.

Some of us actually contribute to this society.

Learn their language and their culture.

I'd rather throw a viper down my shirtfront than study them any more.

I used to really like it here before I learned the language and culture.

The Yanker was rude, disrespectful, and aggressive in his tone of voice towards the woman.

No wonder!

She confronted him aggressively and disrespectfully while recording. 

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, 123Stodg said:

he will likely be tracked down by the authorities and expelled from the country to make the locals feel good

"...he will likely be tracked down by the authorities..."

Cobblers.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1