Iranian Tourist Injured in Motorbike Accident Involving British Man

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya — A British tourist allegedly cut off an Iranian motorcyclist on a Pattaya road, resulting in the latter suffering minor injuries.

The accident took place on Thapphraya Road, opposite of Rita Resort Residence on July 12th, 2024. The incident involved a Honda Click125 motorcycle and a red Toyota Yaris sedan.

Sawang Boriboon Thammasathan rescuers rushed to the scene to find an Iranian man, whose name was not revealed by rescuers, crying out in pain on the median strip. He was suffering from a laceration on his right elbow, swelling on his right wrist, and abrasions on various parts of his body. His motorbike was found damaged nearby.

The red Toyota Yaris involved in the accident had visible damage to its right-side mirror and right door. The driver, a British national, also unidentified, remained at the scene and cooperated with the police. He was unharmed.

By Aim Tanakorn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-07-13

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

A British tourist allegedly cut off an Iranian motorcyclist on a Pattaya road, resulting in the latter suffering minor injuries.

Another silly insecure aggressive farang in a car and Persian on a bike looking for attention and doing stupid things on the road 

Edited by novacova
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, novacova said:

Another silly insecure aggressive farang on a bike looking for attention and doing stupid things on the road 

In which context are you using the word 'farang' ???  - it was the Iranian on the bike and the Brit in the car.

Are Iranians also farangs ? - without wishing to get into the 'farang' debate.. aren't Middle Easterners called 'Arabs' in Thailand ?

But the Translation of Arab.. Kaek is seemingly more offensive than the Farang word as I never see it used in the media.

Edited by richard_smith237

10 hours ago, mikebell said:
13 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver, a British national, also unidentified, remained at the scene and cooperated with the police.

Unlike the average Thai who never accepts responsibility for any wrong-doing. 

It wasn't reported that the Briton accepted any responsibility for the accident!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, novacova said:

Another silly insecure aggressive farang in a car and Persian on a bike looking for attention and doing stupid things on the road 

And you know all this from that dull polluted place way up North?

14 hours ago, Sigmund said:

Both drivers were put through a DUI routine breath test by the Police ? Or was it the routine 1000 THB note test ?

Brit driving in Pattaya there would be a high chance he had had a drink or two.

From witness accounts though it was the sober Iranian who caused the incident.

• Confused 3

20 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:
On 7/13/2024 at 5:15 AM, webfact said:

British tourist allegedly cut off an Iranian motorcyclist

This is incorrect. 

I believe cutting someone off is pulling in front of them, so the damage to the door suggests it wasn't that.

32 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I believe cutting someone off is pulling in front of them, so the damage to the door suggests it wasn't that.

How so? Pulling out from being parked and moving into someone's path is still pulling out in front of them is it not? Not saying that is what happened, I just don't understand your reasoning. Perhaps the bike was in his blind spot when he was pulling out.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, NowNow said:

Pulling out from being parked and moving into someone's path is still pulling out in front of them is it not?

You think the car pulled out at an angle and the bike slammed into the side of the car head on?  I'm not sure if the evidence supports that, looking at the photo.  Given that the car had damage to the mirror and the door, that's the only way that him cutting the bike off could have done that.

It seems more likely that they impacted side-to-side, imo.

40 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

You think the car pulled out at an angle and the bike slammed into the side of the car head on?  I'm not sure if the evidence supports that, looking at the photo.  Given that the car had damage to the mirror and the door, that's the only way that him cutting the bike off could have done that.

It seems more likely that they impacted side-to-side, imo.

You seem to be looking for a problem to fit your solution. Side to side? What is that? 😊  Explain how that works.

There's a whack in the back door with the bike redirected alongside afterwards, where he lost control. That can happen when someone pulls out in front of someone from a parked position.  Hit the side and be redirected if on a bike. 

Edited by NowNow

13 minutes ago, NowNow said:

You seem to be looking for a problem to fit your solution.

Not at all.

Side to side? What is that? 😊  Explain how that works.

The side of the car impacts with the side of the bike.

There's a whack in the back door with the bike redirected alongside afterwards, where he lost control. That can happen when someone pulls out in front of someone from a parked position.  Hit the side and be redirected if on a bike. 

As I said, I don't think the evidence supports this.  The road is small and there doesn't seem to be much damage to the front of the bike.  It seems more likely that the car and bike impacted side-to-side.

5 hours ago, Mason45 said:

What irks me is when I turn my indicator on to turn left they keep passing me on the left side.  I give plenty of warning but they don't seem to care. The ones that cut from right to left behind you at speed are real thrill seekers. I see near misses on a daily basis, since the Dolphin Roundabout was closed to traffic heading towards the beach in Naklua Road. All the motor bikes swerve right so they don't have to go up North Road to the rear of Terminal 21 to do a U turn.

Just make sure you have a dashcam, preferably front and back. The law states they can't overtake you from the left, especially at a junction. The worst is when I get overtaken by motorcycles over a solid yellow line, right before a crosswalk (Zebra Crossing) when pedestrian (mainly children) are crossing.....super dangerous and happens every day near my daughters school......Police? They couldn't care less. Thailand and it's people should be ashamed at this blatant disregard for safety, especially around children.

Section 45. No driver shall overtake other conveyance by the left

side of the overtaken conveyance, except in the following cases:
(1) the conveyance which is going to be overtaken is turning right, or
gives right turning signal;

(2) such road is divided into two or more lanes of the same direction.
The overtaking by the left side of the overtaken conveyance under (1)
or (2) may be done only when there is no other conveyance following behind

Section 46. No driver shall overtake other conveyance in the
following cases:

(1) when driving up a steep slope, bridge, or in a curve, except there is
a traffic sign permitting to do so;
(2) within thirty meters before reaching a pedestrian crossing, junction,
roundabout, man-made traffic island, or crossing railway road;

(3) when fog, rain, dust or smoke makes it invisible within sixty meters

ahead; (4) when reaching a critical point or safety zone.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Not at all.

The side of the car impacts with the side of the bike.

As I said, I don't think the evidence supports this.  The road is small and there doesn't seem to be much damage to the front of the bike.  It seems more likely that the car and bike impacted side-to-side.

The bike is not travelling sideways 😊 The bike is going forward. For it to impact the back door with force, the car had to be at an angle.

Just now, NowNow said:

The bike is not travelling sideways 😊

How do you know?  Vehicles change position and move sideways (as well as forwards) all the time.

Just now, NowNow said:

The bike is going forward. For it to impact the back door with force, the car had to be at an angle.

It was the side door that it impacted with.  Which means the car would need to be at a pretty tight angle to be in front of the bike.  First, this seems unlikely based on the size of the road, second it seems unlikely as there doesn't seem to be much damage to the front of the bike.

Side-to-side seems like the more likely impact.

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

How do you know?  Vehicles change position and move sideways (as well as forwards) all the time.

It was the side door that it impacted with.  Which means the car would need to be at a pretty tight angle to be in front of the bike.  First, this seems unlikely based on the size of the road, second it seems unlikely as there doesn't seem to be much damage to the front of the bike.

Please shows us any video of a motorbike travelling sideways 😊 You are being silly now.

It's already been stated that the car was parked and pulling out. Are you stating that the motorcycle deliberately turned left into the car? 😊 The car pulled out into his path.

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm willing to bet it's a combination of things, car changing lanes maybe a little too quickly (or maybe not), and as usual....a biker gunning it to scoot past the car he sees changing lanes. I lost count of how many bikers see my blinker on, with me more than 3/4's of the way into the other lane, then they punch it to fly by the shrinking lane at Mach 1 speeds.....Suicidal! Here's a hint to bikers, don't pass a car on the side with the blinker on, and If you choose/must pass? Pass on the side without the blinker....DUH!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

I'm willing to bet it's a combination of things, car changing lanes maybe a little too quickly (or maybe not), and as usual....a biker gunning it to scoot past the car he sees changing lanes. I lost count of how many bikers see my blinker on, with me more than 3/4's of the way into the other lane, then they punch it to fly by the shrinking lane at Mach 1 speeds.....Suicidal! Here's a hint to bikers, don't pass a car on the side with the blinker on, and If you choose/must pass? Pass on the side without the blinker....DUH!

Try again. Look at the picture and how close they are from the 7-11.  Perhaps less than 50 metres.

The claim is that he pulled out from parking at the 7-11. So how many lanes do you think he can change in that distance? 

The evidence shows that he was at an angle on the way to pulling out. Your scenario does not fit with the evidence.

15 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Try again. Look at the picture and how close they are from the 7-11.  Perhaps less than 50 metres.

The claim is that he pulled out from parking at the 7-11. So how many lanes do you think he can change in that distance? 

The evidence shows that he was at an angle on the way to pulling out. Your scenario does not fit with the evidence.

The problem is the illegally parked cars on the side of the road (notice the red and white curb?), try pulling out in the first lane, it doesn't exist.

Just now, lordgrinz said:

The problem is the illegally parked cars on the side of the road (notice the red and white curb?), try pulling out in the first lane, it doesn't exist.

THE problem? So was the Brit illegally parked? I see ONE parked car in the picture and I don't see a red and white KERB outside the 7-11. Another one fabricating unlikely scenarios to fit their solution?

Driver pulled out into someone's path. Of that there is little doubt. Perhaps that's why @SAFETY FIRST has not come back with the explanation of how it was the fault of the bike rider and why the car driver was silent as to the cause of the accident and why he ended up at the police station.

6 minutes ago, NowNow said:

THE problem? So was the Brit illegally parked? I see ONE parked car in the picture and I don't see a red and white KERB outside the 7-11. Another one fabricating unlikely scenarios to fit their solution?

Driver pulled out into someone's path. Of that there is little doubt. Perhaps that's why @SAFETY FIRST has not come back with the explanation of how it was the fault of the bike rider and why the car driver was silent as to the cause of the accident and why he ended up at the police station.

Entire lane blocked all the way down, and you can see the red and white on the Kerb in the photo. You can also tell by the damage that the bike and car hit as a sideswipe motion, the bike hit the back door, then the front door, then the mirror.

messageImage_1720774327065_new.jpg

Edited by lordgrinz

26 minutes ago, NowNow said:
34 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

You both seem to be saying similar things... 

...  Looking at location of the damage on the car - it looks as though 'changing lanes' actually means pulling out from the parking spot at on front of the 7-11.

...  Looking at the extent of the damage to the car, the motorcyclist was travelling quickly ('gunning it' as lordgrinz mentioned).

-----------

One of the issues here is the way motorcyclists ride - I see many examples of them not looking ahead up the road, they ignore indicators...

In this case it seems we have a driver pulling out of a parking spot into a busy road... 

He'd be waiting there all day if waiting for someone to give way and let him out, or, he can be a little assertive and nudge out into traffic.

The only way to drive in Thailand is to be assertive and 'nudge out' into traffic in such situations. 

Motorcyclists will 'usually' flow around you - In this case I doubt the motorcyclist was paying attention to the road ahead - but ultimately, it appears the car driver would be at fault for pulling out in the first place.

... and this is the issue with driving in Thailand - because of the manner in which people drive and ride, driving requires some assertiveness that compromises our position of blame when having no option but to 'nudge out' into traffic and getting hit by someone who hasn't paid attention. 

• Agree 1