Joe Biden has COVID-19 AGAIN

19 minutes ago, impulse said:

Here's a dangerous thought.  Why don't we let the voters decide who's the threat?

To the Dem elite, that's sacrilege. Letting the voters decide...

Originalists are well aware the electoral College was meant as a "check" on the electorate. The Republican Party Presidential Nomineee has not won the popular vote in 20 years - source, PBS Newshour July 19, 2024.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2024 at 7:43 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

He is not going to be the candidate.

And this "positive test" was just a precursor to the ecuse that's about to unfold

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2024 at 8:19 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Well if he hadn't been vaccinated and boosted, he'd probably be much sicker or dead!

I was noting today trump is not campaigning on his operation warp speed. He saved all these lives in record time with a safe and effective vaccine, but he doesn’t mention it? 

I guess that can mean one of 2 or 3 things. I know why I think he doesn’t mention saving us from covid. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Wrwest said:

Originalists are well aware the electoral College was meant as a "check" on the electorate. The Republican Party Presidential Nomineee has not won the popular vote in 20 years - source, PBS Newshour July 19, 2024.

But that's a straw man argument.  Using a sports analogy, if the NFL started counting field goals as 6 points and touchdowns as 2 points, the teams would spend more on kickers and less on QBs.  They'd adjust their strategy for the new rules.  The best teams would still win.

It's the same with the electoral college.  If they eliminated it, the parties would change their strategies for the new rules and the best candidates would still win.  Bottom line, you play according to the rules as they are, not as you wish they were.

I always thought the electoral college was a throwback to the olden days when it took 6 weeks (?) around S America to get from California to DC.  No way a popular vote could work if you had to wait 6 weeks for the results (and wonder if they had BIC pens on the schooners).

• Like 1

Democracy -Law -Justice will be back again to the United States with Donald Trump and the regime of elderly Biden -Kamala Haris will be over.

Donald Trump to stop the war in Ukraine and Israel 

Donald Trump to stop illegal immigration to the States

Donald Trump to make America great again

Watch: Trump Dances To ‘YMCA’ At His Campaign Rallies | NBC News NOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zph7YXfjMhg

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2024 at 10:51 PM, impulse said:

The only sure thing is that Dem voters won't be making the decision.

So who is the real threat to democracy?

If the Dem voters had had their way, he would never have been a candidate. 

It's pretty clear that the threat to democracy is the guy who tried to enact a coup but he can't do much right so it failed. In the end, he's an idiot and can only do short-term damage to the country but to the Republican Party, it's a nightmare scenario. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paris333 said:

Democracy -Law -Justice will be back again to the United States with Donald Trump and the regime of elderly Biden -Kamala Haris will be over.

Donald Trump to stop the war in Ukraine and Israel 

Donald Trump to stop illegal immigration to the States

Donald Trump to make America great again

Watch: Trump Dances To ‘YMCA’ At His Campaign Rallies | NBC News NOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zph7YXfjMhg

How much you want to bet that not one of those things happens? It's the Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, impulse said:

I always thought the electoral college was a throwback to the olden days when it took 6 weeks (?) around S America to get from California to DC.  No way a popular vote could work if you had to wait 6 weeks for the results (and wonder if they had BIC pens on the schooners).

You are IMO wrong. Even back then they recognised that some states would have larger populations and dictate the election.

Just California and the East coast states, lefties all, would probably win a popular vote.

Hooray for the electoral college levelling the election.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are IMO wrong. Even back then they recognised that some states would have larger populations and dictate the election.

Just California and the East coast states, lefties all, would probably win a popular vote.

Hooray for the electoral college levelling the election.

I don't think it was that complicated.  Keeping in mind that the US is not, constitutionally, a 2 party country, they just saw the logistic nightmare of having to go back and do runoffs in case no candidate got a majority.   That's not the case for local or even statewide elections where they can get it done in a few days.  But when it takes months and months to collect ballots in a runoff, that would cripple the country.

For example, what would happen if Trump got 40%, Biden got 40% and Kennedy got 20%?  With today's tech, they (maybe) could have a runoff done and dusted in a few weeks.  In the past, that would take months.  With an electoral college, it can be done on the spot, even with 1800's tech.

Edited by impulse

On 7/19/2024 at 9:06 PM, spidermike007 said:

He needs to drop out of the race. What he is doing now is purely selfish. He cannot win. And in my opinion they should not run Harris. But they likely will, and Shapiro would make a good VP candidate on the ticket. 

Anyone but Trump! 

If the DNC powers that be  can't get Biden to withdraw voluntarily and publicly, they have leverage they can use to coerce him to involuntarily. They may then have to make up a "mini primary" of sorts to force Kamala to compete. Otherwise, it's hard for them to maintain the illusion to their base that they are the "party of democracy" 

4 minutes ago, nattaya09 said:

Otherwise, it's hard for them to maintain the illusion to their base that they are the "party of democracy" 

Between what they did to Bernie and RFK, hiding Joes condition, the lawfare against Trump and his supporters, and their fight against border security and voter ID laws, I think that ship has sailed. 

Impunity is the order of the day for the Dem elite. 

4 hours ago, impulse said:

Between what they did to Bernie and RFK, hiding Joes condition, the lawfare against Trump and his supporters, and their fight against border security and voter ID laws, I think that ship has sailed. 

Impunity is the order of the day for the Dem elite. 

And from your point of view that's not the case with the GOP and Trump? Really? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2024 at 9:41 AM, impulse said:

Here's a dangerous thought.  Why don't we let the voters decide who's the threat?

To the Dem elite, that's sacrilege. Letting the voters decide...

As I recall the founders also, while embracing a participatory democracy, built in safe guards. Many examples in history that the majority is not always right. Ironically, it is the Republican Party acting to try to restrict the popular vote eligibility. Sending my Absentee Ballot from abroad, those votes are not counted in many places until then-person votes are counted. I am reading that there are some now wanting no votes counted after the polls close.

On 7/20/2024 at 4:53 PM, impulse said:

But that's a straw man argument.  Using a sports analogy, if the NFL started counting field goals as 6 points and touchdowns as 2 points, the teams would spend more on kickers and less on QBs.  They'd adjust their strategy for the new rules.  The best teams would still win.

It's the same with the electoral college.  If they eliminated it, the parties would change their strategies for the new rules and the best candidates would still win.  Bottom line, you play according to the rules as they are, not as you wish they were.

Uh, the founders dealt with 13 colonies becoming states.

2 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Uh, the founders dealt with 13 colonies becoming states.

The Framers envisioned Manifest Destiny (though I'm not sure when that moniker was coined)  And if conditions on the ground change, they've had almost 250 years to Amend the Constitution.  And change the way the Supreme Court works. And... And...  Funny how they now want it all done before the election...  It's almost as if they have a specific political target.

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

The Framers envisioned Manifest Destiny (though I'm not sure when that moniker was coined)  And if conditions on the ground change, they've had almost 250 years to Amend the Constitution.  And change the way the Supreme Court works. And... And...  Funny how they now want it all done before the election...  It's almost as if they have a specific political target.

No, I have not come across the idea of Manifest Destiny at the time of the founding. Please enlighten me as to any founders expressing this. I seemed to have missed it in my study and teaching of American History for over four decades.