Biden Tests Positive for Covid the Final Nail in the Coffin?

Social Media

image.png.5e0fef3ac5012dc8f773e23cf10b1d7f.png

President Joe Biden's COVID-19 diagnosis could spell serious trouble for his reelection campaign, with political consultant Jay Townsend suggesting it might be the "nail in the coffin." Biden tested positive for the virus on Wednesday, prompting him to cancel his appearance at a UnidosUS event in Las Vegas, Nevada, and begin self-isolating at his home in Delaware in accordance with CDC guidelines.

This development comes at a crucial juncture in the presidential race, just days after an assassination attempt on former President Donald Trump and amidst mounting calls from within Biden's own party for him to step aside as the Democratic nominee. The timing couldn't be worse, as Trump has recently announced Senator JD Vance of Ohio as his running mate at the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Townsend told Newsweek that Biden's diagnosis "could be the nail in the coffin" for his campaign, particularly if his symptoms linger. "It costs him time," Townsend said. "Time he won't have to be the President. Time he won't have to be a candidate. Time is the one thing in a political campaign you can never get back."

Jeffrey Kraus, a government and politics professor at Wagner College, concurred, noting that Biden's illness comes at a particularly inopportune moment. "At a time when he needs to be countering the message coming out of Milwaukee, he will be unable to," Kraus said. "It is also not helpful at a time when a growing number of leading Democrats are suggesting he should not run because of his performance in the first debate and some of the other episodes of his misspeaking that have recently come to light."

The White House, in response to these developments, referred Newsweek to a previous statement from spokesperson Andrew Bates, in which Biden reaffirmed his commitment to remain in the race. "He is the nominee of the party," Biden said, "and he plans to win."

This latest challenge adds to a series of difficulties Biden has faced in recent weeks. Following a lackluster performance in a CNN debate last month, Biden has been the subject of increasing scrutiny and criticism. His frequent misspeaking and apparent confusion during the debate have renewed questions about whether the 81-year-old is fit to serve a second term. If reelected, Biden would be the oldest president to be inaugurated in U.S. history.

The pressure on Biden to reconsider his candidacy has been mounting, with Representative Adam Schiff of California becoming the most prominent Democrat to publicly call for Biden to step aside. Schiff, who is running for the US Senate, praised Biden's legacy but stressed the need for a change in leadership. "While the choice to withdraw from the campaign is President Biden’s alone, I believe it is time for him to pass the torch. And in doing so, secure his legacy of leadership by allowing us to defeat Donald Trump in the upcoming election," Schiff said.

Despite the growing chorus of voices urging him to withdraw, Biden has remained steadfast in his determination to stay in the race. In a recent interview with BET, Biden indicated that the only factor that might cause him to reconsider his candidacy would be a "medical condition." "If I had some medical condition that emerged, if somebody, if doctors came to me and said, 'You got this problem, that problem,'" Biden told BET host Ed Gordon.

The timing of these comments, just a day before his COVID diagnosis, has led to speculation about whether his illness might be the impetus for Biden to exit the race. Townsend suggested that Biden's diagnosis could provide an "excuse to drop out," potentially framing it as a necessary step for the good of the party and the nation.

Credit: Newsweek 2024-07-18

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Good excuse to stay in bed for a few days after doing a speech reading from a teleprompter.

Could also be the precursor to stepping away, he's changed his tune recently from "Only god can stop me" a few weeks ago to "I'd follow doctors advice if they told me to step down" in the last few days.

Maybe we see a very bad case of "Covid" followed by a dignified exit on doctors orders. I hope not, the Republicans need him front and centre to secure a landslide. 

not true. He said it sould take a train runnig him down in the last few days. I made a joke about it and got baited into debating JT about Antrak. But yeah Joe said it would take a train.

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Maybe. Who would want to run against Trump though ?

I think he’s going to be hard to beat, it’s a very late change and any new candidate will spend the first few weeks purely discussing Biden and the reasons for his withdrawal rather than policy.

So, pretty much a lame duck candidate ? I reckon the next serious Democrat presidential candidate would likely prefer time in opposition to build up credentials/support and run a proper election campaign for 2028. 

The issue with Biden should have been on the table when he took office and agreements reached a couple of years ago. He should have handed his blessing and support to a new candidate for 2024. The Democrats have totally screwed this up. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, realfunster said:

I think he’s going to be hard to beat, it’s a very late change and any new candidate will spend the first few weeks purely discussing Biden and the reasons for his withdrawal rather than policy.

So, pretty much a lame duck candidate ? I reckon the next serious Democrat presidential candidate would likely prefer time in opposition to build up credentials/support and run a proper election campaign for 2028. 

The issue with Biden should have been on the table when he took office and agreements reached a couple of years ago. He should have handed his blessing and support to a new candidate for 2024. The Democrats have totally screwed this up. 

I am amused by this political miscalculation everyday. They screwed the pooch.

17 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Totally agree. The issues with Biden have been obvious for at least 2 years now. They thought they could gaslight everyone until November, but it's staring everyone in the face and they have no idea what to do.

Up the creek without a paddle. 

To admit he's unfit for the job now (after everyone else has been saying it for so long, and all their subsequent denials) would be a massive rollback, hugely embarrassing. That's why I suspect this case of "Covid" might be the "unexpected turn of events" that forces them to change. An attempt to pick someone else while saving face. Trouble is, Harris is VP. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I wouldn't be so quick  to write him off. He is working from the foundation of one of the most historical presidencies of all time. 

Historical yes, but I'm sure not in your intended sense.

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Good excuse to stay in bed for a few days after doing a speech reading from a teleprompter.

Could also be the precursor to stepping away, he's changed his tune recently from "Only god can stop me" a few weeks ago to "I'd follow doctors advice if they told me to step down" in the last few days.

Maybe we see a very bad case of "Covid" followed by a dignified exit on doctors orders. I hope not, the Republicans need him front and centre to secure a landslide. 

Republican landslide & red wave. Haven't we heard that before only to be disappointed. 

Biden: "....I'm staying in the race & I'm gonna win again..."

He certainly must be referring to the pudding eating contest after he's settled into his new home, a geriatric care facility for cognitively challenged seniors. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, impulse said:

But today is a terrible day. If you just — if you pull back and look at this thing, strength versus weakness a bullet couldn‘t stop Trump, a virus just stopped Biden,”

The Democrats are coming apart. The Republicans are coming together. That‘s what‘s happening.

https://dailycaller.com/2024/07/17/van-jones-calls-out-biden-stopped-covid/

That, coming from Trump hater Van Jones.

The fat lady may not have sung, but she's all warmed up.

Just few blocks from the RNC convention at the Fiserv Forum, the Republican politically homeless are hosting an event blasting Trump a freaking lunatic that has narcissistic disorder. So much for Republicans coming together. 

Biden must be hallucinating now, perhaps hearing many voices in the massive void between his ears based on his mumbling irrational and delusional comments, statements, ramblings etc of a person in serious mental decline.

"The California congresswoman referred to several polls showing that Trump would beat the incumbent during their private conversation, the report said."

Biden reportedly pushed back — telling Pelosi that all polling he’s seen has pointed to a successful re-election bid.

Biden can't function coherently now often making and repeating the same outrageous, nonsensical lies.

Edited by illisdean
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Just few blocks from the RNC convention at the Fiserv Forum, the Republican politically homeless are hosting an event blasting Trump a freaking lunatic that has narcissistic disorder. So much for Republicans coming together. 

You may want to call Van Jones and tell him how wrong he is.  I didn't write this stuff.  I just quoted it.

Edited by impulse

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

So much for Republicans coming together.

Wakeup, read the polls for an update and refresher, concentrate how MAGA is crushing the life from pip-squeak imbecile Biden in ALL key battlegrounds and oh...how about the latest poll showing Trump leading Biden in VA.

You got nothing, as usual except butt-hurt for the soon to be ousted and mentally addled Biden. Then what, .....kamala? LOL

Reference for context and further reading 

RNC Unity

• Like 1

3 hours ago, realfunster said:

Well Democrat rules clearly states it would be laughing gas Kamela.

Even Biden would be better than her and he has no chance in hell of beating Trump unless they give 20 million illegals the vote which I wouldn't put past those Democrat crooks.

Democracy...... Bwahahahaha...... It doesn't exist in the west.

• Like 1

Biden's decline is so rapid, the debate in September is going to be a complete howler... As if the first debate wasn't hilarious as it was, this next one will take the biscuit.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

He's gaslighting just like his supporters.

The whole "Democrat" facade is crumbling. 

I very much doubt he has Covid, probably just needs a week in bed. 

Just an excuse to hide "in his basement" perhaps like he did in 2020. but by not campaigning now, and why would Biden campaign knowing the disheveled and panicking dems are going to end your campaign in humiliating fashion. I hope he stays on as long as possible, will be good entertainment watching liberals bouncing off the walls in their ongoing gong show, meanwhile Biden supporters can sit and console themselves while watching reruns of Hee Haw.

• Thanks 1