Journalist in Samui Threatened with Violence Over Luxury Villa Report

webfact

4 hours ago, n00dle said:

10 to 15 million seems to be the sweet spot and has been for a number of years. Iys pretty hard to flog a property that goes into the 20's unless it beyond spectacluar 

These were on the market starting at 25mil and went to down to 23 or something over the course of 10 years. I think they sold but I've never seen a light turned on so it may be just another investment scam.

I don't know the size of that but it's a complete ripoff at 25 million. Property developers are scum. Anywhere they operate will be wrecked.

image.thumb.png.b88d0a28fde908f873095be6cf5ca2ad.png

6 hours ago, newnative said:

Plenty of retired expats in Thailand with money.  Pattaya has lots of housing projects with starting prices of 10MB or more.  Many houses at the Siam Royal View project are over 20MB, with some over 100MB.  One is listed for 200MB on Hipflat.

Instead of focusing on the fringe of society it's better to look at the medium and what is normal.

image.jpeg.ab5762f139256f904a4687effa56f085.jpeg

image.png.9ee29ae66e17d9b6b0ec418207d7d170.png

• Haha 1

concerns have arisen that the development might be encroaching on forest land 

... from the looks in this picture..     it would be a good bet that the villa won't be on "any" land after  1-2 rainy seasons !

image.png.3cf3c2cf7f4a844e7f834f61adad51f8.png

The construction on those slopes is far too steep ...  were piles installed ?  was the slope rocked, concreted, compacted,  I bet not and as such two or three days of heavy rain and they may see a land slide.  Those luxury villas will end up on the lower road in a pile .... 

10 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

These were on the market starting at 25mil and went to down to 23 or something over the course of 10 years. I think they sold but I've never seen a light turned on so it may be just another investment scam.

I don't know the size of that but it's a complete ripoff at 25 million. Property developers are scum. Anywhere they operate will be wrecked.

image.thumb.png.b88d0a28fde908f873095be6cf5ca2ad.png

That looks like a French sounding estate name in the Mae Sa valley, if so, they are all owned by Bangkokians, the staff at the Pamivan have the scoop..

18 hours ago, kuzmabruk said:

In Choeng Thale, where I live in Phuket, luxury is considered 100 million up.   Many villas are now renting for up to 1 million per month (12 million per year). 

With the same Thai quality?

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

That looks like a French sounding estate name in the Mae Sa valley, if so, they are all owned by Bangkokians, the staff at the Pamivan have the scoop..

I rented a little cabin across the street when they were building those in 2013 or so and now I have a house in Samoeng so I drive/cycle past that area often. It must be a scam, no one is ever there, no lights on ever. I watched them lower the price multiple over 10 years too and even though they took the signs down I'm incredulous they're actually inhabited.

Is it just me or are "Bangkokians" at the heart of every property bubble in Thailand? I've heard countless times "all the land was bought by Bangkok people" and in their wake vacant properties with ridiculous price tags. The rich get richer I guess.

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I rented a little cabin across the street when they were building those in 2013 or so and now I have a house in Samoeng so I drive/cycle past that area often. It must be a scam, no one is ever there, no lights on ever. I watched them lower the price multiple over 10 years too and even though they took the signs down I'm incredulous they're actually inhabited.

Is it just me or are "Bangkokians" at the heart of every property bubble in Thailand? I've heard countless times "all the land was bought by Bangkok people" and in their wake vacant properties with ridiculous price tags. The rich get richer I guess.

We live off the 107, not far from the Samoeng turn and we see the increase in traffic flows every winter, increasingly Bangkok plates are the norm, year round.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

We live off the 107, not far from the Samoeng turn and we see the increase in traffic flows every winter, increasingly Bangkok plates are the norm, year round.

You know what happened? During COVID there was some corruption and they allowed these new shops to be built along side the road by the river leading up to Pong Yaeng. Then the really killer was they cleared out all the "illegal" homestay's off Mon Cham and in their place came a new set of higher end resorts and that's drawn huge crowds.

I used to bike up Mon Cham weekly when I had the house in Pong Yang/Mae Rim and Mon Cham had nothing up there besides some fields and a coffee shop or so. It's a dramatic change. Pong Yang is rapidly developing and some large houses are getting built on the mountains. It should be overrun in 10 years or so. 😕

Luckily Samoeng is far too boring so I hardly see any tourists except for people driving through from the long way to Pai but we'll see what happens in the future. Until I'm staying there and enjoy the real northern Thailand lifestyle. 🙂

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Shetraveler said:

Yet here you are.  If you hate Thailand and the Thais so much, why are you here?

How did you work out that the poster “hates Thais” when he or she was only posting an accurate description of their behaviour?

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Instead of focusing on the fringe of society it's better to look at the medium and what is normal.

image.jpeg.ab5762f139256f904a4687effa56f085.jpeg

image.png.9ee29ae66e17d9b6b0ec418207d7d170.png

He's a retired billionaire iirc. Bit eccentric I'll grant you. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

I live on the island I have Bangkok plates as I purchased my vehicle in Bangkok and I’m told that buyers like a Bangkok number plate I’m not required to have Suratthani plates so why change the plate !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

concerns have arisen that the development might be encroaching on forest land 

... from the looks in this picture..     it would be a good bet that the villa won't be on "any" land after  1-2 rainy seasons !

image.png.3cf3c2cf7f4a844e7f834f61adad51f8.png

I have agree, that looks completely unsafe. Even if they used piling, as you say, any serious rain or movement from above and that is occupying land at the bottom of the mountain. 

On 19-7-2024 at 07:43, Celsius said:

Ik kan niet wachten om 2 villa's te kopen 

Two?

With a permit or without?

Makes a difference in price! 🙃

On 19-7-2024 at 07:43, Celsius said:

Ik kan niet wachten om 2 villa's te kopen 

Two?  

With a permit or without?  Makes a difference in price!

On 7/19/2024 at 6:36 AM, watchcat said:

Inflation

In TiT everything can be called "5*, Luxury, VIP", as long there is an AC, and it's shining at first glance.

If someone "buys" it...

Also, the asked prices of many dodgy projects vary on the stupidity of the "investors".

The big awakening comes, when it comes to legal scrutiny, or the construction is just falling apart.

The Kao San Road degree "Engineers, Real Estate Experts", and the money is only over the next hill, but too far away.

Only lawyers might rub their hands, during ever-lasting, in the end resultless civil court cases.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I live on the island I have Bangkok plates as I purchased my vehicle in Bangkok and I’m told that buyers like a Bangkok number plate I’m not required to have Suratthani plates so why change the plate !

Really? As it is essential to know about your license plate (in the context), it would be also interesting to know,

"who" told you, that you're not required to change it.

On 7/19/2024 at 9:55 AM, jaideedave said:

Correct 100%. Most land offices are crooked like a dogs hind leg. Special mention for Samui.Those permits have to be signed off by the same people that are supposed to be enforcing the reguations.What a laff.  

From old news. Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 July 2006 / Source: The Nation

... But Yongyuth admitted there were irregularities in the issuing of land-right documents because the island had only 150,000 rai of land - and there were land-right documents for about 200,000 rai...

The corruption going on there, is enormous. Buyer beware.

• Like 2