Army style training but in the gym

What if you did high reps 30 to 50 on every major compound movement plus isolation. 10 exercises twice a day. 1 set each. 6 days a week. I wonder how much endurance you build up across your muscles.

• Confused 1

Higher reps build endurance and hardness of the muscles. Lower reps, higher weight builds muscle and more strength. Working out too much or everyday that way will break down muscle and you'll look like long distance runners. Body needs rest plus intensity.

13 minutes ago, susanlea said:

What if you did high reps 30 to 50 on every major compound movement plus isolation. 10 exercises twice a day. 1 set each. 6 days a week. I wonder how much endurance you build up across your muscles.

do it. get back to us in 6 months. go start now. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Higher reps build endurance and hardness of the muscles. Lower reps, higher weight builds muscle and more strength. Working out too much or everyday that way will break down muscle and you'll look like long distance runners. Body needs rest plus intensity.

Some people do 300 pushups a day so the body can take a fair bit. Maybe only 1 or 2 exercises for high reps though. David Goggins said he did 200 to 300 reps to get fit in the early days but I dont know his program entirely. 

Let's say I did

Seated rows 2 x 50 reps

Lat pull downs 2 x 50 reps

Incline dumbell press 2 x 30 reps

Military press 1 x 30 reps

Shrugs 2 x 30 reps

Light weights once a day

• Sad 1

All depends on what you're training for. For strength and muscle building, you use moderate to heavy weights 8-10 reps upper body, 12-15 lower. For endurance you can go to 12-15 and 15-25. Tone will come from all weight training, or resistance exercises as long as your body fat is low. My mistake is I lifted too heavy for too long, and hurt my joints. If I knew what was coming, I wouldn't have lifted so much weight and instead just stayed with the 8-10 and 12-15 reps routine. No matter the routine, you need days off to just walk and rest. Working out too much leads to stress and some get sick by lowering their resistance. I can't tell you how many times I saw many bodybuilders with colds and coughing because they were in the gyms everyday.

12 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

All depends on what you're training for. For strength and muscle building, you use moderate to heavy weights 8-10 reps upper body, 12-15 lower. For endurance you can go to 12-15 and 15-25. Tone will come from all weight training, or resistance exercises as long as your body fat is low. My mistake is I lifted too heavy for too long, and hurt my joints. If I knew what was coming, I wouldn't have lifted so much weight and instead just stayed with the 8-10 and 12-15 reps routine. No matter the routine, you need days off to just walk and rest. Working out too much leads to stress and some get sick by lowering their resistance. I can't tell you how many times I saw many bodybuilders with colds and coughing because they were in the gyms everyday.

CNS gets affected by heavy weights but not light weights. Studies in the last 15 years have found muscle growth as high as 40 reps. Arnold used to do 30 reps sometimes. Studies have also found long length partials better for growth than full reps. 

• Confused 1