Expats angry at huge concessions in latest Thai visa announcements

10 hours ago, lapamita said:

I never understand People buying Elite cards.

I am over 30 Years here , and since 5 Years only half of the year ,bcs more easy living and better clima in other country.

Everchanging rules , I had Investment Visa based on  3mb  about 20 years ago, and under Taxsim , rules get changed , even it was Grandfatherd . 3mb must than stay in Goverment bank at 0% ( 0%policy of intrest for foreigner at this time) what was bringing an intrest loss per anum of aprox 200,000 thb ( local intrests at 6-7% at this time) , or the cost of visa to 200.000 ,+++

than i get the visa for 20k special from bkk immigration , and when thats not possible later ,i was travel to philippines and send passport to honorary conulate receiving a multi 1 year non b /o ( not illegal because staying outside thailand during visa aplication), and the story goes on , when this not possible more  with boarderruns and various visas.

I am even not want stay in thai more the whole year , but that i come back in June here ..get only 30 day stamp, gone 10 day abroad , 2 days longer because of the 60 days start 15.7  ...and what i received at 13h on 15.07  at the swampi airport only 30 days AMAZING THALAND, i go back overseas on 20.8 wiath 7 day overstay

and thats one or the reasons , i left thailand , ever changing rules, senseless anouncment.

PS  I dont like India , but 2 times a year i there for 3,4 days to some reason ,  but one thing they issue  a 5 year Tourist Visa valid for up to 180 days per year for 80 USD , i ts easy and 1 stamp in passport for 5 years.   ..so and that make really sense , compare to all the s**** thais making

Following Covid, 1500 people were surveyed and 60% said they didn't want Tourists, how did that work out, now the silly buggers are looking to get rid of all the Expats.... don't figger lol, they will be leaders of a 4th world natiopn in the not too far distant future.

Edited by Bobydog
spel;ling
  • Haha 2

Sounds like a bunch of whining oldies who made poor choices, and if not a poor choice, not seem to understand that a yearly visa with multi-entry, is still way more hassle free and comfortable, than doing 60 days on arrival. I see like zero arguments here at all. Own up your responsibility, nobody else will. 

Anyone with a bit sense in their brains would not recently have purchased an Elite visa or send 800K to Thailand, which would be taxed too in theory, assuming a 180+ day stay. Those who did: own it up or shut up.

It's so cliche, these old guys who rarely contribute and live under a stone, have a lot of hate for younger succesful people. Same for those who now get an easier visa on arrival, which still isn't that great, it's just 15 days more than it was during covid.

Last but not least, a marriage or retiree visa is kind of stable since decades, even 1-2 papers or rules changed. This 60 day visa, same as 45 days during covid, or the old school tourist visa options, can change at any given time again. 

Edited by BakedPanda
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Bobydog said:

Following Covid, 1500 people were surveyed and 60% said they didn't want Tourists, how disd that work out, now the silly buggers are looking to get rid of all the expats.... don't figger lol they will be leaders of a 4th world natiopn in the not too far distant future.

No they don't, they just fixed that, by making the visa easier. The exchange rates are fine too. Matter of time before you will see better results again in Thailand. I personally predict a crazy high season.

Edited by BakedPanda
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gknrd said:

I will definitely look into this. My last trip there was a Pain in the $ss. I left with no intension of ever going back. Now?  I may head back for 6 months..  Perfect for people like me that have no intension of living there full time.  I ditched my retirement visa in Thailand when they went with the 800K in the bank. The polution was killing me there and I was only staying 6 months a year anyway. 

If that is the case then I may come back for 6 months at at time. At present I travel to countries that only let you stay for 6 months a year, but it is basically free and I don't have to do border runs and jump through hoops. I love it. As I have no intension of living there anyway.

Thailand is only livable for 6 months a year anyway. 

Spelling the word "intention" wrong 3 times shows that this word is too big for you. The word "tension" has one less syllable and may be what you are freudian slipping about....awrightttt??!!?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, fresher said:

Many people seem to be assuming this or have been told this. But nobody can have obtained a 30 day extension to a 60 day stamp yet. And this is Thailand. And the Thai Embassy clearly says you need a return ticket for 60 days or less to get a 60 day stamp. So will all Immigration offices be consistent and deal with this the same?

The airlines may require this just like some require it for the simple 60 day tourist visa that is ALSO extendable. If you are a scaremongering type then if I believed you and was even ASKED to show an outbound flight then I would just say I need to step aside a minute and buy a throw away ticket for about $16 instantly. You are also speaking of the Thai embassy in London. They have been known to make incorrect statements because what you are understanding is EVERYONE from Great Britain may be asked to show proof of exit within 60 days. How do you think the immigration lines at Suvarnabhumi will be????? Mr. You are scaremongering!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

...stupid is as stupid does!

bob.

I take it he would be happy again, if this Visa thing was reversed

He paid that amount of money for a reason, he still has his elite Visa, WTF is his problem now? Makes no difference, 900K is gone either way.

One either thinks an elite Visa for 900k is worth or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, BusyB said:

And as the article points out Malaysia offers 90 day stays.

Malaysia is also a very beautiful and interesting country with all the attractions of Thailand for  tourists including the food and temples. Obviously it doesn't appeal to the incel/sex addict/hebephile crowds though.

Why would an incel not be interested in Malaysia? 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BritScot said:

I got my first bank account in Thailand with a 30 day holiday visa and even got a triton pickup on finance doing 30 day visa runs (waiting for a work permit that never arrived). I've never had a problem opening a bank account in Thailand. 

I've heard this before, but I've asked at a few different banks (both in SmautPrakan and @ Seacon Square) with no success (while on either a 30 day exempt or on a TR60 visa) and they always say need a work permit or long term visa. Same requirements for a residence certificate from SamutPrakan immigration last year for a driving license.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JackGats said:

Has nothing to do with the visa type. It's whether you stay over 180 days in TH per calendar year. You can stay less than 180 days per year on a retirement visa as well.

No. DTA allow, you only 180 days, not 365.

• Confused 4

10 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

So, what's the deal in layman's terms, for those doing annual retirement extensions?

Instead of keeping 800,000THB in the bank here (or using an income method), you get a visa for 10,000 that lasts 5 years, but you leave the country every 180 days?

DTV visa can be extended without leaving Thailand every 180 days, one must leave

once a year

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

AS long as you are not disabled doing a boarder bounce twice a year is not easy for those, and how much to do the boarder bounces will that cost over 5 years.  That's 10 boarder bounces and entry/ exit visas for the boarders you bounce + Transport costs.

visa for Cambodia $ 36 x 2 x 5 = $ 360 + $ 86 ( pay 300 baht for not staying overnight.

= 445 USD. + transport fee say 6,000 baht for a mini bus. 1714 USD = 2159 USD = nearly 8,000 baht, Nah not for me especially having to make sure you can remember to get there twice a year, or you'll be on overstay, with a possible ban the stress for some could be too much . Just saying. 

What are you talking about, once a year, not twice

I’m on a marriage visa and I don’t understand why anyone would be upset except for MAYBE the Elite Visa people. I might get that in a year or two. But this is good for everyone. Makes back up plans easier and cheaper if you ever had an emergency and messed up your extension or something. If you ever had to do a border run at least things will be more liberal again stamping in and out. It allows long term tourists to stay a year or more it just means immigration is going to be more liberal. Although I wish they would do something for us as well if they are going to do this and lighten up on the paperwork a little bit. Just simply cut out some of the redundant paperwork. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JimboB4 said:

I’m on a marriage visa and I don’t understand why anyone would be upset except for MAYBE the Elite Visa people. I might get that in a year or two. But this is good for everyone. Makes back up plans easier and cheaper if you ever had an emergency and messed up your extension or something. If you ever had to do a border run at least things will be more liberal again stamping in and out. It allows long term tourists to stay a year or more it just means immigration is going to be more liberal. Although I wish they would do something for us as well if they are going to do this and lighten up on the paperwork a little bit. Just simply cut out some of the redundant paperwork. 

And the Elite Visa is still worth it based on all the other benefits like not having to renew it for 5 years. 

• Haha 2

Just now, JimboB4 said:

And the Elite Visa is still worth it based on all the other benefits like not having to renew it for 5 years. 

Would love to have that removes the annual shuffling 

But those guys living in Thailand on expensive visas hold the strongest handle; the new measures to encourage tourism are just an easy and temporary fix and will be adapted as soon as the "hordes" become too unruly or unmanageable. In mho.

My friend has a elite card and it cost money. the 60 day visa plus land crossing and local office it not fair really to expats.They have 3 mths checks  and a year check to give a new visa.it may cost more but they are full time residents and get other benefits.this visa it only good for 4mths at lest.So looking at it it seems 50/50  for either visa.Wait to when they want tax for when money is sent for expats only living there.what will tourist say if they are affected to on this.so either visa seems fair and everyone has to work around the rules

• Confused 1

I don’t understand why people invest large amounts of money for long term visa’s Thai government especially the current one flip flop look at what’s happening over the weed 1,000s upon 1,000s of shops will be forced to close in January because a particular person who is no longer an MP has influence over making it illegal 

12 hours ago, lapamita said:

I never understand People buying Elite cards.

I am over 30 Years here , and since 5 Years only half of the year ,bcs more easy living and better clima in other country.

Everchanging rules , I had Investment Visa based on  3mb  about 20 years ago, and under Taxsim , rules get changed , even it was Grandfatherd . 3mb must than stay in Goverment bank at 0% ( 0%policy of intrest for foreigner at this time) what was bringing an intrest loss per anum of aprox 200,000 thb ( local intrests at 6-7% at this time) , or the cost of visa to 200.000 ,+++

than i get the visa for 20k special from bkk immigration , and when thats not possible later ,i was travel to philippines and send passport to honorary conulate receiving a multi 1 year non b /o ( not illegal because staying outside thailand during visa aplication), and the story goes on , when this not possible more  with boarderruns and various visas.

I am even not want stay in thai more the whole year , but that i come back in June here ..get only 30 day stamp, gone 10 day abroad , 2 days longer because of the 60 days start 15.7  ...and what i received at 13h on 15.07  at the swampi airport only 30 days AMAZING THALAND, i go back overseas on 20.8 wiath 7 day overstay

and thats one or the reasons , i left thailand , ever changing rules, senseless anouncment.

PS  I dont like India , but 2 times a year i there for 3,4 days to some reason ,  but one thing they issue  a 5 year Tourist Visa valid for up to 180 days per year for 80 USD , i ts easy and 1 stamp in passport for 5 years.   ..so and that make really sense , compare to all the s**** thais making

I would never live in Thailand, not even if someone paid me. The weather is horrible hot and I am not a good friend of the AC.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Nickcage49 said:

Stop whining. If you don't like it then don't renew your visa and go with the 60 or 180 days. 

I'm on a retirement visa and it's not so expensive that it's worth the hassle of constantly renewing and going on border runs.

One thing, though, is that by doing this, they will increase the number of undesirables here, which they said they were trying to reduce.

If it's that easy to stay here, many more criminals will take advantage of the new rules. Not that criminals follow the rules anyway.

There are so many cheap charlies here, they'd rather go through a bunch of trouble than pay a few thousand baht for something.

I think there are many facets to this, as you say. I think they are using a very simplified logic in  - the more people coming in and staying longer, the more tourist money, which is true on its face without looking at any down sides. It remains to be seen if crime rises as a result, when and if it does, there might be an about face, but if the advantage in more money coming in is sufficient, they might accept the risk. If there are 1 million tourists and 1000 undesirables now, and 5 million tourists under new rules, with 5000 undesirables, to them the math might make it worth it as to revenue, but we don't exactly know how much revenue that represents - perhaps they HAVE done the math. Remember how badly Thailand needs the revenue. This is merely my speculation, not presuming to know all the answers, been here on retirement 10 years and that is of no hassle to me at all. Pay 1900 baht once a year, 65,000 baht once a month in the bank, file 90 day TM47 online, they even remind you online for each of those, TM30s are automatically handled by room managers and tracked online, what's to complain about? If I want to travel to Laos or Cambodia I can do it as I see fit and not be forced to do it.  All those elite VISAs seemed to make no sense to me, just a big waste of money. 

Edited by Jonathan Swift