Best way to kill cockroaches in the kitchen - if possible, not spray.

It seems unavoidable that cockroaches come to the kitchen (in Thailand).

In the last years I used successfully Blattanex Gel from BAYER. Now, it seems that still works a little, but not as good anymore as it used to work.

I also use spray (various brands). But there are still some cockroaches which don't want to die.

What do you use?

Are you able to kill all of them?

If possible, I would like to use something, like the gel above, which I can put in corners of drawers and similar places which I normally don't touch.

With spray, everything gets sprayed. I don't really want to clean everything that I want to use just before I use it because maybe I sprayed it (by accident) earlier.

BLATTANEX-BayerBlattanexGelCockroachKill

I also found the Bayer gel worked great the first time but seemingly not well after.

I use a combination of Baygon roach poison 6 to a green box from Tops and the sticky roach house traps which basically catch enough that you don't feel infested.

You will never eliminate them because by the time you see them they have already laid eggs, so it seems you have controlled them and then a fresh batch of eggs hatches - if not in your condo then in someone else's.

• Agree 2

We never have had problems with insects inside the house. Just maintain a clean environment and the unwanted guests won’t come. Though I imagine it might be a bit more challenging living in a condo with neighbors that refuse to maintain a clean domicile, in that case I’d order some ddt from china. 

Just now, novacova said:

We never have had problems with insects inside the house. Just maintain a clean environment and the unwanted guests won’t come. Though I imagine it might be a bit more challenging living in a condo with neighbors that refuse to maintain a clean domicile, in that case I’d order some ddt from china. 

We often buy products from fresh markets. I guess that might be a way how those creatures, or their eggs, arrive. 

8 minutes ago, novacova said:

Not really, the condo next to me was empty and had no end of cockroaches. Enough to sustain them doesn't have to be visible to us or come from us. I see them in the bathroom all the time and am careful about toothpaste spills as they can eat that for the sweetener.

Edited by mokwit

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

We often buy products from fresh markets. I guess that might be a way how those creatures, or their eggs, arrive. 

They arrive from eggs in your condo or someone else's condo or eggs laid in some common area. Once they are in a building they are in for good. All not brand new seem to have them. If you have a squeamish girlfriend you have to move into new condos and then move out to another new one once the condo has been infiltrated.

Edited by mokwit

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If that’s what you suspect, then soaking the produce may help. To get rid eggs, personally I’d go on a cleaning rampage of vacuuming, washing everything then using the deadliest insecticide I could find and douse the place, then go on a vacation for a week. 

Just now, novacova said:

If that’s what you suspect, then soaking the produce may help. To get rid eggs, personally I’d go on a cleaning rampage of vacuuming, washing everything then using the deadliest insecticide I could find and douse the place, then go on a vacation for a week. 

Can't clean behind under e.g. the kitchen units. I used to spray very heavily as I left the apartment to go to the beach, not sure it made any difference.

7 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Can't clean behind under e.g. the kitchen units. I used to spray very heavily as I left the apartment to go to the beach, not sure it made any difference.

I’ve known folks who have used diatomaceous earth to eradicate the buggers, apparently the powder gets in between the joints when the vermin stampede over the power and makes them immobile 

Edited by novacova
  • Agree 1

Just now, novacova said:

I’ve known folks who have used diatomaceous earth to eradicate the buggers, apparently the powder gets in between the joints and makes them immobile 

Tell us more about this (am serious). I'm all for solutions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

Tell us more about this (am serious). I'm all for solutions.

I’ve never used the stuff, so I can’t speak from personal experience. I’m sure there is information on the internet. Maybe someone here can chime in 

16 minutes ago, transam said:

You must first find out where they are getting in, fix it, job done.......🤗

When I owned apartments in the US, I used to go around them with steel wool and a putty knife and fill every crack and crevice and pipe entry I could find with the steel wool.  It worked pretty well but had to be re-done every 5 years as the steel wool would corrode over time.   I tried to do the same in the condo I rent in Thailand but there were too many areas I had no access to without tearing out built-in fixtures.   Anyway, as others have said, if you are in an older building with shared space, the insects will already be intrenched in the structure and nothing short of demolition will get rid of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, mokwit said:

What could be easier.

Very easy, but sadly I have seen set-ups in residences here that invite creepy crawlies, farangy's forget about how his homeland rarely had them, because of the set-up there, the same can be done here with a little thought................😉

Thanks for your replies so far.

So which poison, available in Thailand, have you successfully used so far?

Year ago, in another apartment, I looked on the internet for solutions. I found a couple of suggested solutions, but none of them worked.

Then I discovered Blattanex Gel, see above, which worked great.

But it seems by now the (Thai) cockroaches are mostly immune against it. 

1 hour ago, novacova said:

Like you never had a cockroach in the house in 14 years, ants occasionally, but no roaches.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Like you never had a cockroach in the house in 14 years, ants occasionally, but no roaches.

Occasional ant. No roaches. 

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

BLATTANEX-BayerBlattanexGelCockroachKill

I had good results with this Bayer gel.  Easy to use.  I didn't put it everywhere - just a half dozen places along baseboards and a few places along the countertops.  Saw the little buggers feeding on it a couple of times.  They were all gone within a week or so. 

The product acts as a bait that attracts cockroaches which will eat it as if it were a piece of food. When they return to the nest, they'll transmit the pesticide to the rest of them, where they will all end up dying in a chain-reaction.

27 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

I had good results with this Bayer gel.  Easy to use.  I didn't put it everywhere - just a half dozen places along baseboards and a few places along the countertops.  Saw the little buggers feeding on it a couple of times.  They were all gone within a week or so. 

The product acts as a bait that attracts cockroaches which will eat it as if it were a piece of food. When they return to the nest, they'll transmit the pesticide to the rest of them, where they will all end up dying in a chain-reaction.

Yes, that was my experience maybe since a couple of months ago.

But now I see they eat it, but some just don't die. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, that was my experience maybe since a couple of months ago.

But now I see they eat it, but some just don't die. 

Hmmm, the gel worked well for me.  Mind you I had surmised that the roaches were coming from the drains.  So I also put some gel in the bathrooms too. 

I also gave all the drains in my condo a good cleaning with this stuff which I used to buy at the local mom/pop hardware store here.  Got it online somewhere though last time.

f221c8e62b6e53ed051ccade96f18a8d.jpg_400x400q75.jpg_.webp.60249ec02c5cde4505736fa8831abc56.webp

Can be found on Lazada - good luck. :jap:

Edited by expat_4_life

Some come up thrue the drains. First I used spray then the Cockroach Hotels. I still got them so I started to put boiling hot water (hot water maker with 2 ltr.) down the drains. All drains inkl. Shower and the ones on the floor. Repeated that every week. All gone. 

• Like 1

I used to use a product like this in my Issan house.

When we went to Udon for shopping, put all dishes away, put any food in the fridge, vegtables, fruit, all stored away.

Put one of these in the middle of the floor and press the button and leave.

I would always be dumbfounded by the amount and variety of dead bugs when we came home

And the house would be insect free for months

image.png.41faa3ff1923816eb96402ee557f0a92.png