Kamala Harris: A Progressive Reformer Running on Biden’s Record, The Pros and Cons

Social Media

image.png.6bae083ad84c67cc68ffa41428906b9b.png

After Joe Biden’s momentous decision on Sunday to step aside from the US presidential race, Democrats rallied to describe him as a selfless American hero. Many echoed his endorsement of Vice President Kamala Harris, creating a wave of momentum for her potential candidacy. Stagnant donations surged immediately, and by Monday afternoon, Harris was likely to have raised more money in a 24-hour period than any other candidate in US history.

Biden’s endorsement, along with explicit support from many prominent party figures, positions Harris as a strong favorite, even if she faces opposition. Potential candidates like Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer and California Governor Gavin Newsom quickly stated they would not run against her and endorsed her, joining over 100 other elected Democrats. There is a wariness among the Democratic establishment about a chaotic public display at the convention and concerns that Black and female voters could turn away from the party if Harris were denied the nomination.

Harris performs slightly better than Biden in match-up polls against Donald Trump. A recent Reuters/Ipsos poll showed them tied at 44%, giving Harris a two-point advantage over Biden in the same poll. Her approval ratings are also slightly higher than Biden's. Her supporters argue that these figures could improve as she is introduced to the public with a unified and excited Democratic party behind her. They highlight her recent record on attacking Trump and her prominent voice on abortion as evidence of her potential as a nimble and energetic campaigner against the Republican candidate.

Harris is viewed as a moderate who succeeded in California with a “tough on crime” message before recasting herself as a progressive reformer. The contrast between a 59-year-old former prosecutor, who would be the first woman and the first woman of color elected president, and a 78-year-old convicted criminal provides another source of optimism. Her supporters hope she could shore up Democratic support among younger voters and people of color, who polls show have been drawn to Trump.

Another practical advantage for Harris is easier access to Biden’s hefty $240 million war chest and the significant funds pouring in from donors who had suspended their contributions. Vox has highlighted the significant hurdles facing any other candidate not part of Biden's campaign.

However, while Harris may be a stronger candidate than Biden, her previous presidential run sputtered out after her support fell into the low single digits. The New York Times described her as “an uneven campaigner who changes her message and tactics to little effect.” While some supporters argue she has become a more effective political communicator and strategist, she struggled to carve out an effective role in the vice-presidency, dealing with a difficult policy portfolio including immigration and the failed voting rights bill.

Perhaps the most fundamental challenge for Harris is that she will have to run on Biden’s record. The Republican playbook appears to be linking her to Biden’s record and claiming she failed to warn the public about Biden’s allegedly declining faculties. It remains to be seen if these attacks will work, and Harris's nomination is not yet certain. However, Democrats are significantly more optimistic today.

One dominant reaction to Trump’s recent rambling convention speech was that he is confident but also very beatable. As Moira Donegan wrote in an opinion piece on Sunday: “In withdrawing from the presidential race, Biden has given the country a fighting chance to defeat Trump.”

Credit: The Guardian 2024-07-24

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

5 minutes ago, jcmj said:

This has the makings of one of the best sh*t shows ever. Let the mud slinging begin. 

This thread will nicely round out my ignore list, I'm sure.

23 hours ago, NORDO said:

Now no Joe, but Hoe still needs to go 

you can just add her to your ignore list.... here, I'll show you how it works.

• Sad 1

On 7/24/2024 at 5:04 PM, Thingamabob said:

From what I am hearing Trump is taking the likely Harris nomination very seriously. He, and his supporters, far preferred to take on Biden.

Of course, and he should be. He can hardly mock her for having cottage cheese where brain used to be.

I'm confident he can repeat the HRC result though.

I'll be so lovin' it if Harris loses. If anything, I dislike her more than I disliked Biden.

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2024 at 8:33 AM, Social Media said:

However, Democrats are significantly more optimistic today.

That's only to be expected. They were facing disaster after the debate, so someone that can actually read off a teleprompter has to be a better chance.

Give it 3 months and see if the bounce has gone as reality sinks in. She didn't fail to gain a primary win for no reason.

On 7/24/2024 at 8:33 AM, Social Media said:

As Moira Donegan wrote in an opinion piece on Sunday: “In withdrawing from the presidential race, Biden has given the country a fighting chance to defeat Trump.”

Soooo, not a sure thing then?

Strikes me that the Dems have not a single positive thing to offer as to why anyone should vote FOR them, as opposed to AGAINST Trump. Hate only gets them so far. If they don't have anything positive to offer, why would voters bother to get out of bed to stand in line?

Do none remember Jack Kennedy and his vision of a shining city on a hill, his ambition for a better world, his challenge of a man on the moon? Seems to me that all American politics offer now is war and more war, dispute on dispute, strife on strife.

They are apparently even out pepper spraying non violent demonstrators calling for peace.

Truly sad days in this brave new world of ours.

57 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Soooo, not a sure thing then?

Strikes me that the Dems have not a single positive thing to offer as to why anyone should vote FOR them, as opposed to AGAINST Trump. Hate only gets them so far. If they don't have anything positive to offer, why would voters bother to get out of bed to stand in line?

Do none remember Jack Kennedy and his vision of a shining city on a hill, his ambition for a better world, his challenge of a man on the moon? Seems to me that all American politics offer now is war and more war, dispute on dispute, strife on strife.

They are apparently even out pepper spraying non violent demonstrators calling for peace.

Truly sad days in this brave new world of ours.

Do you work for RT?

On 7/24/2024 at 7:49 AM, john donson said:

biden , selfless American hero

so he did not help his drug addicted son to a overpaid position in UKRAINE that also got his family millions in bribes

more like old senile man with nuclear codes, joke of the world, shi.tting his pants in front of international dignitaries

Every accusation is a confession with our friends from the Right. Really wouldn't go there if I were you, everyone knows who DEPENDS on sanitary pads for his incontinence. And it ain't ol' Joe.

BTW, didn't you get the memo? Hunter don't matter no more, especially when he's been convicted of a firearms offense. Focus!

• Like 1