living in a (non-Thai) village

BananaBandit

A lot of us have experience living in villages in Isan. Whether it's a good decision or not, many farang have been doing it for many years: It's a widely accepted situation. 

What interests me right now is if anyone here has any personal experience or specific knowledge about farang living in a village in Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam??

I assume it's far less common than farang living in Isan villages.  But is it something that a farang can actually manage in those countries?

My suspicion is that it's significantly more difficult, due to a higher presence of opportunistic crime in Cambodia and local government nuisance in Laos and Vietnam.  Am I off the mark?

While I have frequently visited those three countries - including spending a lot of time working in Vietnam, and know many people who live in them, they all live in cities or tourist areas. No doubt there are Westerners living in villages, but I'd imagine it would be tougher than it currently is here.  I'd also look at communication and infrastructure as well as your points:

Fibre optic internet coverage.

Quality of mobile network.

Ease of ordering items that you want online (Lazada etc) and having them delivered to your door. This includes food items, electronic and hobby equipment, and whatever else you may need to make your life simpler/more enjoyable/bearable. Because there's no way you'll be getting them locally.

General road quality, and how easy to buy and drive your own (or a family member's) car - being able to drive yourself about when and as required, or the fancy takes you, is, in my opinion, essential when living in a rural area.

Nearby medical services.

Anywhere to meet and talk/drink with other Westerners. Not actually an issue with me, but many seem to need it.

Reliability of electricity supply, or ease of purchase and installation of a solar system.

No doubt others will have additional requirements to these ones.

Note I said tougher than it currently is here, as many, including myself, lived in villages here before most of these things existed upcountry.  However, back then the first three in particular didn't exist anywhere.  Now that they do exist, it would be tougher to move somewhere where they still don't.  (Some may differ on this point and be able to live in a cave with no communication with the outside world, but not me).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ballpoint said:

While I have frequently visited those three countries - including spending a lot of time working in Vietnam, and know many people who live in them, they all live in cities or tourist areas. No doubt there are Westerners living in villages, but I'd imagine it would be tougher than it currently is here.  I'd also look at communication and infrastructure as well as your points:

Ease of ordering items that you want online (Lazada etc) and having them delivered to your door. This includes food items, electronic and hobby equipment, and whatever else you may need to make your life simpler/more enjoyable/bearable. Because there's no way you'll be getting them locally.

General road quality, and how easy to buy and drive your own (or a family member's) car - being able to drive yourself about when and as required, or the fancy takes you, is, in my opinion, essential when living in a rural area.

Nearby medical services.

Anywhere to meet and talk/drink with other Westerners. Not actually an issue with me, but many seem to need it.

Reliability of electricity supply, or ease of purchase and installation of a solar system.

No doubt others will have additional requirements to these ones.

Note I said tougher than it currently is here, as many, including myself, lived in villages here before most of these things existed upcountry.  However, back then the first three in particular didn't exist anywhere.  Now that they do exist, it would be tougher to move somewhere where they still don't.  (Some may differ on this point and be able to live in a cave with no communication with the outside world, but not me).

I think, in most of your comment, you are missing the point of why many westerners chose to live in more remote areas.

Your last sentence covers it to a certain extent but then you liken it to living in a cave. I guess you've never been to such places.

37 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I think, in most of your comment, you are missing the point of why many westerners chose to live in more remote areas.

Your last sentence covers it to a certain extent but then you liken it to living in a cave. I guess you've never been to such places.

There may well be people living in villages with no electricity, no phone or internet service, and relying on public transport to get them to the nearest hospital, over 100 km away, in an emergency.  That covers five of my seven points. Of the other two, I like the convenience of being able to order, and have delivered, items that I would need to travel to Bangkok to buy.  It's not a game changer, but the service exists, so I use it.  And, as I said, I couldn't care about meeting other Westerners, but included it as many seem to need this.

These are just points to consider for anyone thinking of moving to a village, and ones which would be harder to find in the three countries mentioned by the OP.  Take them or leave them.  However, if you can do without all these items, then well done to you. Though if you are living remotely then the fact that you managed to read and reply to my post rather makes my point for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

There may well be people living in villages with no electricity, no phone or internet service, and relying on public transport to get them to the nearest hospital, over 100 km away, in an emergency.  That covers five of my seven points. Of the other two, I like the convenience of being able to order, and have delivered, items that I would need to travel to Bangkok to buy.  It's not a game changer, but the service exists, so I use it.  And, as I said, I couldn't care about meeting other Westerners, but included it as many seem to need this.

These are just points to consider for anyone thinking of moving to a village, and ones which would be harder to find in the three countries mentioned by the OP.  Take them or leave them.  However, if you can do without all these items, then well done to you. Though if you are living remotely then the fact that you managed to read and reply to my post rather makes my point for me.

The fact I've replied to you doesn't make any point. Other than I have an internet connection. Are you aware of the coverage in most countries in SE Asia?

On 8/3/2024 at 8:41 AM, ballpoint said:

I hadn't thought of these.  I'd just assumed they'd penetrated the whole world at this point, unless someone like that fat boy in North Korea pulls the plug on your connection.

I have visited my wife's province in the Philippines many times (Northern Luzon), and think it would be totally livable for a foreigner - - IF - - done with the wife's extended family as a framework and backstop for engaging with locals. And yes not all families or family members are good to have around, but a good family can make life so much easier, safer (and enjoyable!).

That said, I personally would not want to live in the province, even short stays have me bouncing off of the walls by the third day craving something new to see.  It all sounds quaint and relaxing until actually there on the ground and reality sets in.  At least that has been my personal experience.