Twitching eyelid....

Randomly started a couple of weeks ago. Not constantly, just every now and then.

According to Google, it is very common and goes away after a few days. If it doesn't after two weeks, it is recommended to see a doctor................

It has now been two weeks - is it really worth getting checked out ? 

With a nod and a wink......

Eyelid twitching, medically known as myokymia, is a common and usually benign condition. Several factors can contribute to this involuntary muscle spasm:

1. Stress: High levels of stress can cause various physical reactions, including muscle twitches. Eyelid twitching is often one of these responses.

2. Fatigue: Lack of sleep or general fatigue can lead to eyelid twitching. Ensuring adequate rest can help alleviate this symptom.

3. Caffeine: Excessive consumption of caffeine or other stimulants can trigger muscle spasms, including those in the eyelid.

4. Eye Strain: Prolonged use of screens (computer, phone, tablet) can strain the eye muscles and lead to twitching. Taking regular breaks and practicing the 20-20-20 rule (every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds) can help reduce eye strain.

5. Dry Eyes: Dry eye syndrome can cause irritation, leading to muscle twitches. Using lubricating eye drops can help alleviate this condition.

6. Nutritional Imbalances: Deficiencies in certain nutrients, such as magnesium, can cause muscle twitches. A balanced diet or supplements might help if this is the cause.

7. Allergies: Allergies can cause irritation and inflammation in the eyes, leading to twitching. Managing allergies with medication or avoiding allergens can help.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Eyelid twitching, medically known as myokymia, is a common and usually benign condition. Several factors can contribute to this involuntary muscle spasm:

1. Stress: High levels of stress can cause various physical reactions, including muscle twitches. Eyelid twitching is often one of these responses.

2. Fatigue: Lack of sleep or general fatigue can lead to eyelid twitching. Ensuring adequate rest can help alleviate this symptom.

3. Caffeine: Excessive consumption of caffeine or other stimulants can trigger muscle spasms, including those in the eyelid.

4. Eye Strain: Prolonged use of screens (computer, phone, tablet) can strain the eye muscles and lead to twitching. Taking regular breaks and practicing the 20-20-20 rule (every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds) can help reduce eye strain.

5. Dry Eyes: Dry eye syndrome can cause irritation, leading to muscle twitches. Using lubricating eye drops can help alleviate this condition.

6. Nutritional Imbalances: Deficiencies in certain nutrients, such as magnesium, can cause muscle twitches. A balanced diet or supplements might help if this is the cause.

7. Allergies: Allergies can cause irritation and inflammation in the eyes, leading to twitching. Managing allergies with medication or avoiding allergens can help.

I read the same thing. I am not a big caffeine drinker, get plenty of sleep, aren't stressed and eat well.

I do have a lot of screen time. But due to work this may not be easy to cut down soon

Just now, OptimisticAndy said:

I read the same thing. I am not a big caffeine drinker, get plenty of sleep, aren't stressed and eat well.

I do have a lot of screen time. But due to work this may not be easy to cut down soon

For me it happens rarely, but does seem related to fatigue.

Best for you to see a quack regardless I guess.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I had it a bit when i was working, probably stress induced, went a way after a while, I wouldn't worry about it

Is your name related to scuba diving? The reason I ask is it started just after I went diving 

2 minutes ago, OptimisticAndy said:

Is your name related to scuba diving? The reason I ask is it started just after I went diving 

Yes but the twitching won't be diving related otherwise all divers will have it

13 hours ago, OptimisticAndy said:

J'ai commencé de manière aléatoire il y a quelques semaines. Pas constamment, juste de temps en temps.

Selon Google, c'est très courant et cela disparaît après quelques jours. Si ce n'est pas le cas après deux semaines, il est recommandé de consulter un médecin.

Cela fait maintenant deux semaines : est-ce que ça vaut vraiment la peine de se faire examiner ? 

Try magnesium.

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2024 at 11:26 AM, Will B Good said:

You have missed the obvious one! A small change in refraction, I.e spectacle prescription, even if you don't actually have any! can cause eyestrain particularly a small amount of uncorrected astigmatism. See a qualified optometrist.... if you can find such a thing here. They are like hens' teeth! 

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2024 at 11:30 AM, OptimisticAndy said:

Try working on the PC with the night light settings, does help...