What about this Samsung Washing Machine? Should one buy it?

Dear Folks,

I have read many conflicting reports about Samsung Washing machines.

Frankly, I had been planning to buy a Hitachi machine, but then I saw a deep discount on a Samsung machine, and now I am just too tempted to "take the plunge", so to speak.

In other words, Samsung sales channel has made me an offer that I may not be able to refuse.

This is the unit, and the price is around Bt7,900.00, including installation.

image.png.bb3daed1f438246131a33424dcebfe32.png

https://www.samsung.com/th/washers-and-dryers/washing-machines/wa5000c-top-load-ecobubble-digital-inverter-technology-super-speed-15kg-dark-gray-wa15cg5745bdst/

I always thought I would never buy a Samsung washing machine.  But then, I bought a Samsung refrigerator, and realized that it was quite good for an excellent price.

I still think Samsung ACs are garbage, but who am I to judge others.

Also, I never like the top loaders compared to side loaders.

However, I am not prepared to pay that much for a machine I may not use for many years.

I just care about not using a machine which will tear-apart my clothes.

A side-loader is better in this respect.

Now, there is another member who, just as I, feels quite strongly about having had bad experiences in the past....

image.png.e13562e1831d0daf84f0f808abe01b83.png

Apparently TWO DIED within 5 years, or so he says.

Is Samsung now much improved?

If so, I will give them another shot at making me a happy Samsung washer....

I must buy tomorrow, because I have a lot of dirty laundry piling up.

So, I need feedback ASAP.

Tks and Regards,

Gamma

NOTE:  I noticed that Samsung provides only a ONE YEAR WARRANTY on Parts etc (20 year warranty on motor), and so if the company only gives a ONE YEAR warranty, then...maybe...  The company has not as much faith in the machine as one might wish....

image.png.c981e4f8554aef1eb41ebd23013c558b.png

If Samsung does not believe that the machine will last more than a year, without breaking, then why should I????

Edited by GammaGlobulin

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Our first top loader Samsung lasted 11+ years, it still worked, but internal suspension was knackered, our present one is 7 years and still going strong...

Our next one, when ever that is, will be a Samsung...😋

OK.

Thanks for that.

The price is too good to refuse.

I just hope the Godfather comes through with what He promises.

I will buy tomorrow if I can get to the store.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Check whether it has a water pump (for removing water). If it doesn't your  drain needs to be no higher than 10cm above the water outlet. I found that out the hard way on a 15k+ baht machine and had to hack off most of the laundry room waste pipe.

Ours has a pump, but it runs straight out at floor level, so not sure if it can pump upwards. Perhaps look at machine details on the Net.. 

1 minute ago, Woof999 said:

Check whether it has a water pump (for removing water). If it doesn't your  drain needs to be no higher than 10cm above the water outlet. I found that out the hard way on a 15k+ baht machine and had to hack off most of the laundry room waste pipe.

Thank you VERY MUCH for the heads-up, about the pump question!

At this price, the machine must be an extremely basic type.

Whether or not it has a pump, I am not yet sure.

However, if it does not, then I am also used to this from having spent over 35 years in Taiwan with machine that were FAR more basic than this Samsung model.

Normally, the water just exits from a plastic pipe located at the bottom of the machine, and then out a drain in the floor.

I have not drain in the floor where I intend to install it.

(not yet, anyway)

So, very good point....

Just now, transam said:

Ours has a pump, but it runs straight out at floor level, so not sure if it can pump upwards. Perhaps look at machine details on the Net.. 

I have checked the available specs on the website...

So far, I have not come across this data...

https://www.samsung.com/th/washers-and-dryers/washing-machines/wa5000c-top-load-ecobubble-digital-inverter-technology-super-speed-13kg-light-gray-wa13cg5441byst/

CONCERNING Whether or not there is a pump to drain water after wash and rinse cycled...

As expected, the answer seems NO on such a basic machine...

Or are they hiding the pump?

image.png.678c43f1cd9a2008f3026bb3634bbe17.png

image.png.9f22d2055a47321cbebe90c0f5e1fab4.png

This seems a very rudimentary design for a washing machine.

At least it spins....Haha!

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

CONCERNING Whether or not there is a pump to drain water after wash and rinse cycled...

As expected, the answer seems NO on such a basic machine...

Or are they hiding the pump?

image.png.678c43f1cd9a2008f3026bb3634bbe17.png

image.png.9f22d2055a47321cbebe90c0f5e1fab4.png

This seems a very rudimentary design for a washing machine.

At least it spins....Haha!

Manual shows that the water waste pipe cannot sit higher than 5cm at ANY point. So definitely no pump and you'll need a floor level waste.

Edited by Woof999

9 minutes ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

Do not but a washing machine that does not have a hot water cycle

Even in Thailand?

Just curious as to why.

As far as I know, the coin operated machines I have seen never have a hot water wash cycle.

Also, most guest houses also do not offer this feature.

During the hot season, the water in most buildings, and houses, is quite warm, already.

However, in the Cold Season, the water goes down to about 15 degrees C.

image.png.b6b58d1ac5c606bea80c8ebf889ffb8c.png

Seems that this machine does have a HOT WATER Connection.

Or, maybe not.

It's difficult to tell if this manual applies to the Unit in Question, simply because there seems to be more than one P/N on the manual.

Maybe some machines have Hot water, and others do NOT have Hot water inlet.

Who knows, at this point.

I will take a look at the shop, tomorrow.

image.png.6407070b7fced5a33c0e2634d06d9c16.png

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

any laundromats near you?

might be not worth the hassle of getting a machine. 

Yes.

You are CORRECT.

I would NOT buy a machine if it were not for the fact that I have had some clothes "scavenged" from the machines, in the past.  Sometimes, these scavengers come in the dead of night.

Also, I have had problems with the local machines not going through the entire cycle before stopping.  This means that sometimes the clothes have not been spun dry, or that the machine stopped during the wash cycle, and cannot be restarted.

Anytime this happens, it's a real bummer.

This happened again today, but not to me, and to a Thai Guy.

He was very unhappy, and proclaimed that the situation was ......  "YE"... terrible.

I have to agree.

So, this is why I have now decided to just buy a cheap machine, and see what happens.

I just do not like the idea of buying Samsung....due to my experiences in the past, as I have already suggested.

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Even in Thailand?

Just curious as to why.

As far as I know, the coin operated machines I have seen never have a hot water wash cycle.

Also, most guest houses also do not offer this feature.

During the hot season, the water in most buildings, and houses, is quite warm, already.

However, in the Cold Season, the water goes down to about 15 degrees C.

image.png.b6b58d1ac5c606bea80c8ebf889ffb8c.png

Seems that this machine does have a HOT WATER Connection.

Or, maybe not.

It's difficult to tell if this manual applies to the Unit in Question, simply because there seems to be more than one P/N on the manual.

Maybe some machines have Hot water, and others do NOT have Hot water inlet.

Who knows, at this point.

I will take a look at the shop, tomorrow.

image.png.6407070b7fced5a33c0e2634d06d9c16.png

The coin-op machines in all the newer laundermats that are popping up everywhere are front-loaders and have hot water cycles. I think most all front-loaders have hot cycles.

Hot water get whites much whiter.

I have a front loading Samsung washer and a Samsung dryer as well. Both have been great for a few years. Had Electrolux twice before that a boy ten years each and they were great as well. 

15 year old Samsung refrigerator still going strong…

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Manual shows that the water waste pipe cannot sit higher than 5cm at ANY point. So definitely no pump and you'll need a floor level waste.

Yes, thank you...
I too was able to locate the installation manual.

This type of machine is NOT new to me.

And, this is why this machine is one of the cheapest on the market.

As I say, at least it spins, and goes automatically through its wash and rinse cycle.

With the old machines, in the past, 35 years ago, there was no pump, yes, and the water just drains either on the balcony, or on the bathroom floor, or wherever.

But, with the old Taiwan machines, like those made by TaTung of Taiwan, you had to lift the tangled and knotted clothes out of the washing bin, and move them by hand to the extractor, and then stand there while they spun, then move them back to the washing bin, and manually turn on the cold water to fill the tank, and then do the rinse cycle, and then move them to the water extractor, once more, then untangle the clothes, and then hang them up on the balcony, during a rainstorm, when the humidity was 100%, and then wait a few days for the clothes to dry....

YES, I am definitely used to the drain-without-pump problem

However, if this Samsung machine will wash and rinse clothes without tying them into a knot, and without shredding the collars of the shirts, then I think this might be an acceptable option.  I would prefer a Hitachi Side-Loader.  But, that would be twice the price of the Samsung, I think.

7 minutes ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

Or just get rid of white clothing altogether.

Too much hassle. 

You don't need to be in an office job with white shirts anymore, do you? 

There's a reason Princes wore white. They could afford to throw them out after one use. 

Wear BLACK. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

The coin-op machines in all the newer laundermats that are popping up everywhere are front-loaders and have hot water cycles. I think most all front-loaders have hot cycles.

Unfortunately, these better laundromats are definitely not popping up near me.

Also, I do not enjoy waiting at laundromats for the wash to finish, unless it might be near a uni where I can have fun talking to the students to pass the time.

They enjoy, so much, talking to this Farang, you know.

4 minutes ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

I have a front loading Samsung washer and a Samsung dryer as well. Both have been great for a few years. Had Electrolux twice before that a boy ten years each and they were great as well. 

15 year old Samsung refrigerator still going strong…

Yes.

Definitely.

As I said, I purchased a rather large Samsung refrigerator, taller than 6 feet, and not a bad price.

I really do like it.

Samsung does well with their refrigerator manufacturing, it seems.

I would buy Samsung refrigerators again...for sure.

Just now, Baht Simpson said:

One piece of advise. If you can, check the spin cycle. Our new top loader is awful. Even after a long spin clothes come out very damp. We have a cheap old one that is much better.

In the case of this machine, in question, the Samsung basic model, according to specs...

Will spin at 700 RPM.

This is definitely not the fastest.

But, is it fast enough?

I am not sure.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Too much hassle. 

There's a reason Princes wore white. They could afford to throw them out after one use. 

Wear BLACK. 

Yes.

But I really do not like black sheets, and black bedding.

Black socks are OK.

I hope to buy more bed sheets to replace many of my bed sheets which were scavenged from the public washing machines near here, months ago.

I cannot tolerate losing bed sheets to scavengers.

100-percent cotton sheets of good quality, the kind that I like, are not easy to find around here.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

In the case of this machine, in question, the Samsung basic model, according to specs...

Will spin at 700 RPM.

This is definitely not the fastest.

But, is it fast enough?

I am not sure.

Moderate. Should be o.k. for medium loads. Not sure what my Toshiba is. I'll look in the manual tomorrow. There is an adjustable speed setting but only for the wash

3 minutes ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

Along with RPM, consider the diameter of the drum. The extraction force is much more dependent on velocity than diameter. A large drum at the same RPM or even slower, extracts much better than a small drum. 

Yes.

This should have been mentioned by the manufacturer, in fact!!!

Let's correct this for future consumers, because centripetal acceleration is important in many fields, including clothes washing, such as when using a centrifuge, or when spinning an aircraft unintentionally.  I agree!:

image.png.fca5ca05558d16127bee7ae39d26893b.png

51 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Too much hassle. 

Wear BLACK. 

I’m not a prince but I can afford a decent washing machine. I like whites. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

This should have been mentioned by the manufacturer, in fact!!!

Let's correct this for future consumers, because centripetal acceleration is important in many fields, including clothes washing, such as when using a centrifuge, or when spinning an aircraft unintentionally.  I agree!:

image.png.fca5ca05558d16127bee7ae39d26893b.png

I think this is a bit clearer:

IMG_0115.jpeg

1 minute ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

I think this is a bit clearer:

IMG_0115.jpeg

The important point to keep in mind is that as the radius decreases the force increases.

However, if I am not mistaken, it is the acceleration that is most important.

Just first calculate the acceleration, and then you can arrive at the force, which is always directed toward the center of the curvature of the path....

image.png.02be729167dadd64740680bf1f371993.png