NFL - how's your Team going?

Pattaya57

NFL pre-season kicks off on Friday at 6am Thai time, so how's your team shaping up?

As an Aussie I started watching late as never understood the rules but I've now been a huge 49ers fan for the last 9 years and never miss a game. 49ers first pre-season game is vs Titans on Saturday at 6am.

LT Trent Williams and WR Brendon Aiyuk have held out for new contracts all training camp so two big holes to fill. Still have Deebo, McCaffrey and Kittle as TD weapons though 😀 

Edited by Pattaya57

As I'm still new to NFL, I really don't understand how a player can have a contract but just decide they won't train/play until they get a better one.

Trent Williams got the highest ever OL contract 3 years ago and still has 3 years left, but because he's now slipped to 5th highest paid OL and has no guaranteed money left he wants it re-done.

Same with Aiyyk, he was drafted #25 so 49ers exercised the 5th year option for first rounders, but nope Aiyuk says he won't play for the measly $14.2 million. I hope 49ers stand fast as is their contractual right. What's the point of paying first rounder money if players can just refuse to play 5th year? 

• Agree 1

Niner fan here as well, but for over 65 years. Aiyuk may have to play on the last year of his contract this year for 14 million. We  shall see. Williams is going to get a raise even though its not really right. But he is Trent Williams and something will be worked  out.  Should be a good year for us as most everybody is back and healthy save Dre Greenlaw, but some good backups behind him.  Pre season is nice to see the new talent. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, marin said:

Pre season is nice to see the new talent. 

Yep, really looking forward to seeing 49er rookies Pearsall, Puni and Mustapha on Saturday (pity new RB Guerendo's injured).

The Niner fan base has really started to turn on Aiyuk for not honoring his contract and a lot are saying to trade his ass. 49ers seem to agree as they've just given multiple teams permission to speak with him about a trade.

Still cant understand how this is allowed as if first rounders refuse to play 5th year option unless they double their contract $ it undermines the whole draft process

• Thanks 1

Just listened to Matt Maiocco on my morning jog. He reckons the Niners simply dont want to give him 30 million as he is not featured enough in our offense. So what is coming down. Cleveland has offered to pay him the 30 and make a trade. Now Aiyuk wants the 30 but does not want to go to Cleveland. So the Niners have put the ball in his hands. He can take it seems like 21 from the Niners and sign for a year. Or go all in with Cleveland and get the bigger money. Its bizz now at this stage not sport. 

Edited by marin
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Yep, really looking forward to seeing 49er rookies Pearsall, Puni and Mustapha on Saturday (pity new RB Guerendo's injured).

The Niner fan base has really started to turn on Aiyuk for not honoring his contract and a lot are saying to trade his ass. 49ers seem to agree as they've just given multiple teams permission to speak with him about a trade.

Still cant understand how this is allowed as if first rounders refuse to play 5th year option unless they double their contract $ it undermines the whole draft process

I wouldn't say that it undermines the draft process but the last year is when they have bargaining power and as you well know, these guys have a finite time in the league and it's a violent sport. If I thought I was underpaid and risking going gaga in 20 years, I'd ask for a raise too. 

The US has also had some high inflation so that's eaten away some of his earnings, just like it has mine.

The NFL is making money hand over fist off these guys. They should be able to afford it. 

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

The US has also had some high inflation so that's eaten away some of his earnings, just like it has mine.

The NFL is making money hand over fist off these guys. They should be able to afford it. 

The Niners apparently offered Aiyuk $130 million over 5 years so I'm not sure he can cry poor because of inflation 😉

If I wasn't a Niner fan this Aiyuk situation would be hilarious.

Rumors are swirling that Steelers, Patriots and Browns have a trade deal on the table, but Aiyuk apparently doesn't want to play there. He does want to play for Washington but they haven't made an offer. Reminds me of "You can't have your cake and eat it too" 😀

Edited by Pattaya57

My team, the Packers, are looking good this year if their quarterback, Jordan Love, plays up to expectations.  He was one of the best quarterbacks during the second half of last season.

I’m ready for the season to begin!  Already renewed my subscription to NFL Game Pass.

Edited by statman78
  • Like 1

I just realised another WR first rounder CeeDee Lamb is also holding out from Cowboys. He's on $18 million for 5th year but wants $35 million. Is this a 2020 draft class thing or is it usual for first rounders to refuse to play their contracted 5th year?

2 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I just realised another WR first rounder CeeDee Lamb is also holding out from Cowboys. He's on $18 million for 5th year but wants $35 million. Is this a 2020 draft class thing or is it usual for first rounders to refuse to play their contracted 5th year?

If you have some degree of leverage, it’s not unusual. Diggs, Hill, Adams, they all wanted more and got moved. If you are a Niner fan, his behavior shouldn’t be surprising as he’s had problems with the team before.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

If you have some degree of leverage, it’s not unusual. Diggs, Hill, Adams, they all wanted more and got moved. If you are a Niner fan, his behavior shouldn’t be surprising as he’s had problems with the team before.

I just don't know what leverage Aiyuk has. He's contracted for a 5th year at $14 Million. If he sits out he doesn't acrue a season, doesn't get paid, has lots of fines and has to do his 5th year again next year. Niners can then tag him for a 6th year.

Well done Niners for calling his bluff and putting his ego back in the box. They still have Deebo, Jennings and Pearsall at WR plus Kittle amd McCaffrey to catch TD passes. Time to move on.

Edited by Pattaya57

On 8/5/2024 at 12:29 PM, marin said:

Niner fan here as well, but for over 65 years. Aiyuk may have to play on the last year of his contract this year for 14 million. We  shall see. Williams is going to get a raise even though its not really right. But he is Trent Williams and something will be worked  out.  Should be a good year for us as most everybody is back and healthy save Dre Greenlaw, but some good backups behind him.  Pre season is nice to see the new talent. 

Interesting.

Posted (edited)
On 8/5/2024 at 12:29 PM, marin said:

Should be a good year for us as most everybody is back and healthy save Dre Greenlaw, but some good backups behind him.  Pre season is nice to see the new talent. 

How things change in a couple of days. Niners had to bring Breida back as they now have 3 RB's injured (McCaffrey, Mitchell, Guerendo) while WR Pearsall re-injured his shoulder and Punter Wishnowsky has knee problems 

Edited by Pattaya57

How things change in a couple of days. Niners had to bring Breida back as they now have 3 RB's injured (McCaffrey, Mitchell, Guerendo) while WR Pearsall re-injured his shoulder and Punter Wishnowsky has knee problems 

Jai yen yen mate. Not a bit deal at all, Guerendo is a rookie battling for a job, he was not going to play this year. Practice squad most likely. Its the first week of training, all is good in Niner Land. 

Edited by marin

I'm a huge fan of the NFL.  I tend to follow different teams as the mood takes me and as their fortunes change.  This season the focus must be on a three peat by the Chiefs and this looks entirely possible plus, of course,  the up coming marriage of Travis and Taylor. Next is what Jim Harbaugh can do at the Chargers. Next for me will be how much old man Jones has managed to screw up the Cowboys for yet one more season.  Lots to look forward to. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I'm a huge fan of the NFL.  I tend to follow different teams as the mood takes me and as their fortunes change.  This season the focus must be on a three peat by the Chiefs and this looks entirely possible plus, of course,  the up coming marriage of Travis and Taylor. Next is what Jim Harbaugh can do at the Chargers. Next for me will be how much old man Jones has managed to screw up the Cowboys for yet one more season.  Lots to look forward to. 

The kid's helping out Pops with the Cowboiz. I'm sure he's very talented and paid his dues.

On 8/6/2024 at 8:53 AM, Pattaya57 said:

I just don't know what leverage Aiyuk has. He's contracted for a 5th year at $14 Million. If he sits out he doesn't acrue a season, doesn't get paid, has lots of fines and has to do his 5th year again next year. Niners can then tag him for a 6th year.

Well done Niners for calling his bluff and putting his ego back in the box. They still have Deebo, Jennings and Pearsall at WR plus Kittle amd McCaffrey to catch TD passes. Time to move on.

He has leverage to hold out and not play and demand to get traded to some team that will meet his price. I just gave examples of WR's that have done just that.

Posted (edited)

So who's great idea was it to hold joint practices. Love it 😀

Seahawks - Chargers

"At least five fights broke out at Seattle Seahawks practice on Wednesday, including one in which star wide receiver DK Metcalf swung a helmet at cornerback Tre Brown"

Giants - Lions

"The New York Giants and Detroit Lions were each fined $200,000 for multiple fights at joint practices this week...There were more than a dozen scuffles over the two days of joint practices..."

Edited by Pattaya57

Posted (edited)

If anyone wants to watch the NFL from Thailand just google page title below. Channel 76 is NFL Network, ch 77 is NFL Redzone (only in regular season)

But here's the best tip, at the top of page just click on "NFL" and it gives you all the upcoming live streams. Two pre-season games at 6am tomorrow 

Screenshot_20240808_182750_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240808_214940_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Pattaya57

Haha I know it's only pre-season but I thought people would be more excited. I've set my alarm for 5:30 tomorrow to watch 49ers play. I'm retired 6 years and a niners game is the only reason I set an alarm lol

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Ricky Pearsall, 49ers 1st round pick this year, was shot in the chest by a 17 year old attempting to rob him 

Pearsall had just finished a signing event and was walking near SF Union Square around 3:30 pm

Reports say he's serious but stable

Edited by Pattaya57

On 8/8/2024 at 9:56 PM, Pattaya57 said:

If anyone wants to watch the NFL from Thailand just google page title below. Channel 76 is NFL Network, ch 77 is NFL Redzone (only in regular season)

But here's the best tip, at the top of page just click on "NFL" and it gives you all the upcoming live streams. Two pre-season games at 6am tomorrow 

Thanks for that link Pattaya57. Looks good. 

• Like 1

Still early days obviously but the new kick-off return rules have been in place for 2 games. It's maybe not the excitement people were hoping for as teams seem happy to just kick it out the end zone and start on the 30

There were 20 kick-offs with:
15 kicked through end zone
2 returned from end zone to 16 & 23
3 landing zone returns to 33, 29 & 16

Maybe teams didn't want their valuable kicker to be a last resort tackler so played it safe 😉

Edited by Pattaya57

On 8/10/2024 at 6:57 PM, Pattaya57 said:

I've set my alarm for 5:30 tomorrow to watch 49ers play. I'm retired 6 years and a niners game is the only reason I set an alarm lol

Why the game starts at 7:20? I get up then to run before the game. Glad to see you like the site I turned you onto.