Algerian Olympic Boxer Imane Khelif Calls for End to Bullying Amid Gender Controversy

Social Media

image.png.39819c6f259aaeb855d53b8346fe8b76.png

Imane Khelif, the Algerian Olympic boxer, has fervently called for an end to the bullying of athletes following her participation in the 2024 Paris Olympics. This plea comes in the wake of unfounded claims about her gender that ignited a storm of controversy, particularly among right-wing figures. Khelif’s appeal for respect and adherence to Olympic principles underscores the damaging effects of such baseless accusations.

Khelif's bout against Italian boxer Angela Carini last week became a flashpoint for controversy. Carini withdrew from the match after just 46 seconds, citing severe pain in her nose as the reason. Her subsequent refusal to shake Khelif’s hand and her emotional breakdown led to a wave of conspiracy theories about Khelif's gender. These rumors were fueled by conservative commentators, media personalities, and lawmakers, sparking a broader debate on transgender athletes in competitive sports.

Khelif Interview Boxing

Addressing the issue in Arabic to SNTV, a sports video partner of The Associated Press, Khelif made a heartfelt plea. "I send a message to all the people of the world to uphold the Olympic principles and the Olympic Charter, to refrain from bullying all athletes, because this has effects, massive effects. It can destroy people, it can kill people’s thoughts, spirit, and mind. It can divide people. And because of that, I ask them to refrain from bullying," she said.

Paris Olympics Day 8 Photo Gallery

Both Khelif and Lin Yu-Ting, another Olympic boxer who won her fight against Uzbekistan’s Sitora Turdibekova, do not identify as transgender. They competed in the women’s category at the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo without incident. However, the International Boxing Association, which is permanently banned from the Olympics, claimed that both Khelif and Lin had failed unspecified eligibility tests at the previous year's Women’s World Boxing Championships in New Delhi. This sparked the controversy.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) quickly stepped in to clarify the situation. They confirmed that all athletes participating in the boxing tournament at the Paris Games met the competition's eligibility and entry regulations. "As with previous Olympic boxing competitions, the gender and age of the athletes are based on their passport," the IOC stated. Khelif expressed her gratitude towards the IOC and its president, Thomas Bach, for supporting her against these allegations. "I know that the Olympic Committee has done me justice, and I am happy with this remedy because it shows the truth," she told SNTV.

Despite the media frenzy and public scrutiny, Khelif has shown remarkable resilience. Competing far from her home and family has been challenging, and the criticism has taken an emotional toll on her. "I am in contact with my family two days a week. I hope that they weren’t affected deeply. They are worried about me. God willing, this crisis will culminate in a gold medal, and that would be the best response," she said.

To maintain her focus and protect her mental health, Khelif has distanced herself from social media, thanks to the guidance of a dedicated mental health team. "Honestly, I don’t follow social media. There is a mental health team that doesn’t let us follow social media, especially in the Olympic Games, whether me or other athletes. I’m here to compete and get a good result," she explained.

Khelif’s determination was evident as she advanced in the competition. She defeated Hungary’s Anna Luca Hamori, moving forward to the semifinals. She is set to face Janjaem Suwannapheng of Thailand in the women’s 66-kilogram semifinals. Should Khelif win, she will compete for a gold medal. Reflecting on the support she received during her matches, Khelif acknowledged the mixed emotions she experienced following her victory over Hamori. "I couldn’t control my nerves. Because after the media frenzy and after the victory, there was a mix of joy and at the same time, I was greatly affected, because honestly, it wasn’t an easy thing to go through at all. It was something that harms human dignity," she said.

Angela Carini later apologized for her post-fight conduct, clarifying that her actions were not politically motivated and expressing regret for not shaking Khelif’s hand. As Khelif continues her journey in the Olympics, her message against bullying and her focus on competition serve as a powerful reminder of the true spirit of sportsmanship and resilience.

Credit: Hill  2024-08-06

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

• Haha 1

From what I read earlier, this woman's birth certificate shows her as a female, and she has female genitalia. However, it was reported she has XY chromosomes, which is probably why she looks masculine and has a masculine physique and strength. The question for me is, what characteristics are used to determine gender? There are several sets of them, and sometimes these sets show mixed results. What then? 

• Like 1

Fascinating that women pretending to be men compete in the women's category and men pretending to be women also compete in the women's category.  This "modern man" clearly doesn't feel the need to have "his" own category and is content to compete in the correct category.  Why can't men pretending to be women follow "his" example? 

Men beating up women in the name of progession 😆.

He could clear this up very quickly with a full physical test, but he won't because he wants to get the gold medal for beating up women. 

He just beat up the Thai woman so now he's in the final. 

Liberals clearly think that men pretending to be women so they can beat up women (or rape them in women's jails) is something to be celebrated. Something to gloat about. Strange times indeed.  

• Sad 2