elephant population on Samui.

12 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Has anyone got a reliable answer to this?I'm trying to find out EXACTLY how many elephants there are on Samui?

I've tried to contact the council offices but no reply.

Cant help you there but question why would you want to know the answer? Are you concerned that obese people are being mistaken for elephants and counted in the number?

5 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Cant help you there but question why would you want to know the answer? Are you concerned that obese people are being mistaken for elephants and counted in the number?

I always seem to have this problem when I ask for inormation on this site - people who simply can't help decide to post thinking they are very funny.

If you don't know please don't post, it just obfuscates the sensible answrs.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kwilco said:

I always seem to have this problem when I ask for inormation on this site - people who simply can't help decide to post thinking they are very funny.

If you don't know please don't post, it just obfuscates the sensible answrs.

It is only sensible if you provide a reason as to why you would want to know how many elephants are on the island. This is something you did not elaborate on.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

It is only sensible if you provide a reason as to why you would want to know how many elephants are on the island. This is something you did not elaborate on.

How daft can you get?

Why do I have to have a "reason" - I"m just asking for a factual answer - that doesn't change regardless of my reason.

Do you know the answer?

Are you withholding it because you want a reason???

a "sensible" answer would be "63" (but why do you want to know?)

but you obviously don't have an answer do you?

Edited by kwilco
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

There should be none, but hey, anything for the tourist trade.  The abuse continues 🥵

Disagree.

Most elephants on Samui are in sanctuaries.

They are not linked to the 'abusive tourist trade'.

Most interaction with tourists is strictly controlled and little or no physical contact. Tourists pay for their food and watch them. I have been to a couple of them.

There maybe a few that are still tourist magnets, but the majority of these magnificent beasts are well looked after.

To the OP.

There are probably few official figures.

Some sites name their elephants on the site but the best bet is probably to contact the individual sanctuaries and ask.

try

Samui Elephant Sanctuary   https://www.samuielephantsanctuary.org/our-elephants

Samui Elephant Haven      https://samuielephanthaven.org/

Samui Elephant Jungle Sanctuary     https://elephantsanctuarythailand.com/koh-samui/elephant-jungle-sanctuary-koh-samui

SamuiElephant Kingdom      https://www.elephantkingdomsanctuary.com/meet-the-herd

I think that there may be a fifth one but I cannot remember.

Unfortunately, the folk at the Na Muang waterfalls still offer the elephant rides. Not nice. Definitely not ethical.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

There are probably few official figures.

Some sites name their elephants on the site but the best bet is probably to contact the individual sanctuaries and ask.

I've contacted 5 or 6 camps - some have got back.

Some also don't want you to know how many as they probably don't have the right paperowrk.THere should be official figures but I can't get the Tessaban to reply.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, kwilco said:

THere should be official figures but I can't get the Tessaban to reply.

I am not surprised.

The government admin sections on Samui have not really moved into the digital age yet.

I received a Land and House tax bill for a plot of empty land.

I had to go to various government departments to explain that there were four houses on the land now. (My house had been there 20 years or more back then.)

Two of the houses were still mine and I managed to pay the tax.

The girl in the revenue office then asked me to contact the owners of the other two houses and to tell them to go and pay the tax!

She was unable to access records at the Land office.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I am not surprised.

The government admin sections on Samui have not really moved into the digital age yet.

I received a Land and House tax bill for a plot of empty land.

I had to go to various government departments to explain that there were four houses on the land now. (My house had been there 20 years or more back then.)

Two of the houses were still mine and I managed to pay the tax.

The girl in the revenue office then asked me to contact the owners of the other two houses and to tell them to go and pay the tax!

She was unable to access records at the Land office.

Elephant owners are required to register DNA of their animals with - I don't know - but there is a registration n system that allegedly has over 90% of countries captive population. Not sure it actually says where they are.

(I could tell you stories of real estate on Samui that would make you hair curl!)

Edited by kwilco
  • Thumbs Up 1