Thailand unveils new visa rules, sparks mixed reactions

Just now, freeworld said:

Yesterday arrived back in Bangkok from abroad with my visa extension (valid to end Sept 2024) and reentry permit. Young immmig officer checks my passport pages and asks me how long I want to stay. I told her up to the end validity on my visa extension (as they always did) so that's what she put on the entry stamp. Immig seemed more friendly than usual.

I hope so but you might have just met a decent one (they're a few) or she was just about to clock off for the day and that's why she was so friendly.  As for her stamping you till the end of validity date, Isn't that what they're meant to do🤔  

Just now, ronster said:

So you can get a 180 day visa for going to a music festival ? 😳

That's what I thought.   That is confusing and strange.  At first when i read it i presumed it meant if you was going to be working at a music festival but one of the requirements was to have proof of ticket.  which suggests to me is that you only have to be attending the festival and not working at it.   But I can't see that being right or happening. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I will take a look at this new visa as I may look to spend some time in Thailand over winter in the future and if I can work for my UK company remotely, it's a possibility.

However, I am pretty sure there will be concerns about breaking GDPR laws in sending info to and from Thailand. No harm in asking though as they are fully aware I have family in Thailand 

14 minutes ago, paulikens said:

That's what I thought.   That is confusing and strange.  At first when i read it i presumed it meant if you was going to be working at a music festival but one of the requirements was to have proof of ticket.  which suggests to me is that you only have to be attending the festival and not working at it.   But I can't see that being right or happening. 

Yes it is right and it is happening. 5 year validity DTVs are being issued daily for 3 "purposes"

1- Workcation with the purpose proof required being remote work evidence or a "freelance" portfolio.

2- Soft Power, which is a term used for thai tourism specialities, which include but not limited to Muay Thai, Thai cooking classes, medical appointments,music festivals. Purpose proof required evidence of booking.

3- Dependants of the above 

This is the real deal and the biggest change in visas in decades.

The current regime is opening things up, and yes it could change, but anyone who wants one of these can get one now and enjoy 5 years of low cost and hassle free visits or long term stay in Thailand.  

• Haha 1

Just now, anrcaccount said:

Yes it is right and it is happening. 5 year validity DTVs are being issued daily for 3 "purposes"

1- Workcation with the purpose proof required being remote work evidence or a "freelance" portfolio.

2- Soft Power, which is a term used for thai tourism specialities, which include but not limited to Muay Thai, Thai cooking classes, medical appointments,music festivals. Purpose proof required evidence of booking.

3- Dependants of the above 

This is the real deal and the biggest change in visas in decades.

The current regime is opening things up, and yes it could change, but anyone who wants one of these can get one now and enjoy 5 years of low cost and hassle free visits or long term stay in Thailand.  

So, If i buy a ticket for the summer sonic festival in Bangkok in August I will qualify for a DTV visa and can stay for 180 days. Got to be more to it than that?  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Soooo, unlimited 60 day "Visa Exemption Stamps" - which could be extended for 30 days at an Immigration office for 1900 baht. 
Giving you a 3 month stay for 1,900 baht. 

Then a border run to get a new 60 day stamp and another 1900 for an extension when that one is due.

So you will be able to stay for 12 months at a cost of 7,600 baht (4 extensions at 1,900 each) plus the cost of 4 border runs.

And for as many years (currently) as you like.

Until they suddenly change their minds and cut back on them the way they did with the 30 day Extensions 7 or 8 years ago.

Must be a lot of skint expats rolling on the bar floors laughing their butts off right now and ordering a bottle of the "good beer" for a change instead of their normal small glass of cheap draft.

And a lot of "digital nomad" (aka "begpackers") who will now be able to buy a skewer of BBQ chicken to go with their half order of rice once a day.
All they have to do is show a "slip" from their employer and show that they have basically just over $14,000 US in "assets" - somewhere in the world and they are good for a year.

They didn't clarify though. You get the 180 days, and then can extend it for another 180 days and then what, do a border run and get another 180 days ?
Because the Visa is good for 5 years. If it was only good for 1 year that would be a different story. But by making it a 5 year Visa, that implies you can keep getting "180 day" stamps each year and then extending the stay by an additional 180 days each time before having to do a "border run" again.

Sweet  deal.

But for the people who follow the rules and keep their money in the bank ? 

Not a bluddy thing.

Why such hate for other people? So much bitterness, you must be a hoot at the coffee shop! Never ever judge a book by its cover: be it Thai or foreign.  I've met millionaires, doctors, lawyers etc at motorbike rallies as well as people with not much money doing what they love all mixing together. Get off your high horse!!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Why a minivan? Why Cambodia?

Anyway. Drive your car or ride your motorcycle to a border, maybe 500 baht in gas. Burma, Laos, Cambodian or Malaysian visa, whatever price that is, say 1500THB average. 2000THB give or take. Forget getting extensions at immigration. Just do the road trip once every 2 months, cost approx 1000 baht a month. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if they start forcing people who do back-2-back 60 day visa exempt entries to spend at least  one night outside of Thailand (have seen it mentioned that DTV holders cannot come back same day) so a Visa Run company might end up more convenient/cheaper if they can help you get back same day. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

3 hours ago, sambum said:

"First hand experience of different immigration fiefdoms."

It's about time that every Immigration had a universal "hymnbook", so that they all applied the same rules. It's bad enough that they change the rules as often as I change my tee shirt, but when different IO's in the same Immigration Office have different interpretations of the rules, something needs to be done to rectify the situation, instead of an IO being able to say (and I have actually heard this said) :- "Never mind the "Rulebook", I make the rules here!"

Totally agree Sambum, I have personal experience of "obstacles" being put in the way which I believe were just ruses to try to make me pay under the table. Luckily in all my years here they have been rare. Nevertheless, if everyone sang from the same hymnbook as you say, it would make many lives here easier. I do, however, believe it is not just restricted to Immigration. Police, and local Government all suffer from the same disease. Guess this is just another one of those foibles of living here........:thumbsup:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

they start forcing people who do back-2-back 60 day visa exempt entries to spend at least  one night outside of Thailand

A night over in a neighboring country would be no real issue for those that are retired etc, it could be quite nice. For those working here illegally, not so much. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

6 months U.K.

Besides the police stations being set on fire round the country, muslim gangs attacking people with axes in the streets, the weather and the general state of society there, that's great. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Well.. they did a 180 on that one... pun intended. I wonder if immigration officers at the airports are aware of this...

What is not clarified is, for the 60 days exempt, do you need a return ticket or not ? The article says the “ immigration officer might ask for one” !!  But by then it’s too late surely ? Saves a lot of questions and phantom flight out.  Why not write the rules clearly ?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Seems to me that this is just another way for the Immigration Boss asking to bolster his staff numbers to cope with all the extra work.

Never mind about the overcrowded Immigration Offices wher we Expat 'Customers' have to wait sometimes for hours to get our Extensions etc sorted, they just don't give a Fig for those of us who support the Economy year in and year out !

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, geisha said:

What is not clarified is, for the 60 days exempt, do you need a return ticket or not ? The article says the “ immigration officer might ask for one” !!  But by then it’s too late surely ? Saves a lot of questions and phantom flight out.  Why not write the rules clearly ?

That one interests me too.

Also, what are the airlines going to do if you turn up at check-in without either a visa or a return ticket?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

I'll remain a Snowbird thank you very much. 6 months U.K. 6 months Thailand purely driven by the weather benefits. As far as I'm concerned anyone trying to live permanently in the Land of Scams needs treatment 

I wouldn't put it quite as bluntly as that, but I do, in principle, agree with you. I abandoned my plans to move to Thailand some years ago basically because of the numerous changes to rules and regulations over which I have no control.  The older one gets, the more difficult it gets to contend with these changes.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, VBF said:

I wouldn't put it quite as bluntly as that, but I do, in principle, agree with you. I abandoned my plans to move to Thailand some years ago basically because of the numerous changes to rules and regulations over which I have no control.  The older one gets, the more difficult it gets to contend with these changes.

Yes, these days don't burn your bridges to a life back home with endless rule changes coupled with future rising costs.

Do neighbouring Asian countries tamper with the rule sets for visas as much ?

I doubt it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

Anyway. Drive your car or ride your motorcycle to a border, maybe 500 baht in gas. Burma, Laos, Cambodian or Malaysian visa, whatever price that is, say 1500THB average. 2000THB give or take. Forget getting extensions at immigration. Just do the road trip once every 2 months, cost approx 1000 baht a month. 

I can see the attraction of that once or twice, getting to see different parts of Thailand, but does it not become tedious after a few trips, especially in the rainy months?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

I can see the attraction of that once or twice, getting to see different parts of Thailand, but does it not become tedious after a few trips, especially in the rainy months?

Yes, for sure. Like being a sardine in a tin in a 7-11 fridge in those vans.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ronster said:

So you can get a 180 day visa for going to a music festival ? 😳

No. What you will get is a multi-entry visa with a validity of 5 years giving 180 days permission to stay each time you enter the country, with the option, once per entry, to apply for an extension of the permission to stay with a further 180 days.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Why Cambodia? Because it's the nearest border post to Pattaya. I figured that most members here would appreciate Pattaya-centric info. Bangkok is about the same distance.

It's false economy to DYI and a 500 km round trip from Pattaya (7 hours). You didn't factor in the wear and tear on your car, and it's going to cost more than 1000 baht on fuel. The most fuel-efficient small cars will cost about 1200 baht on fuel, and that's a small sh*tbox and not very comfortable for a long trip.

Fuel: 1200 baht (minimum) up to 2000 baht and more for bigger cars and SUVs.

Cambodia visa: 1000 baht.

Wear & tear on car: unknown.

I'd be saving maybe 1000 baht to DYI (if I had a car, which I don't, and I won't be riding my scooter 500km), then there's the problem of not being able to bounce in and out if you're doing it yourself. You might have to spend a night in Cambodia. You'll probably have to pay an additional fee to bounce in and out as they don't appreciate the DYI visa runners. You'll fill your passport with stickers more quickly too if you do 6 border runs per year.

If you're SE Asian, you don't need a Cambodia visa, so you only pay 2500 baht for a visa run to Banpuggard and you won't get a 1-page sticker in your passport.

All things considered, a comfortable minivan looks pretty good at 3500 baht, or 2500.

I suppose if you enjoy driving or riding 500km through the most boring of landscapes, and that's your idea of fun, then why not?

Edited by JensenZ

17 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

I have to say the visa rules in Thailand are a big plus with many options. Something for everyone.

It is not a two way street though, a Thai who wants to visit the UK has to perform backflips through hoops to have a chance of maybe getting a visa after considerable expense and a pile of paperwork.

It is very racist.

Racist? You must have been out of the UK for some time. It has to be one of the least racist countries in the world. Besides, you don't need a visa. Just get yourself to France and catch one of the boats over. There are a few a day. Departure times depend on the weather, and whether the French coastguards can be bothered to do their job that day.