Police Commissioner’s Remarks on Immigration and Riots “rebellion to illegal immigration.”

Social Media

image.png.c409338eb4b4d7bea5821d015ea8b373.png

Donna Jones, the police and crime commissioner for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, has ignited a heated debate by suggesting that "mass uncontrolled immigration" is a significant factor behind the recent riots spreading across the UK. Jones described the violent disturbances as akin to a “rebellion to illegal immigration.” She stressed the importance of understanding the perspectives of those who attend rallies, even if they don’t engage in disorder.

image.png.1db26d40fbd36e3a5205e56fbf8329b1.png

In a statement, Jones elaborated on her viewpoint, stating, “I’ve spoken to people from both sides of the spectrum and the only way to stem the tide of violent disorder is to acknowledge what is causing it. Whilst the devastating attacks in Southport on Tuesday were a catalyst, the commonality amongst the protest groups appears to be focused on three key areas: the desire to protect Britain’s sovereignty; the need to uphold British values, and, in order to do this, stop illegal immigration.”

Over the past week, cities including Hull, Leeds, Liverpool, Bristol, Manchester, Stoke-on-Trent, Blackpool, and Belfast have witnessed violent confrontations resulting in more than 90 arrests. Police officers have come under attack from bricks, bottles, and flares, forcing them to draw their batons. The immediate catalyst for these riots was the fatal stabbing of three young girls in Southport.

Jones’s statement appeared to provide a rationale for some of the activities, sparking significant backlash. Nazir Afzal, a former chief prosecutor, called her comments “totally unacceptable” and accused her of appearing to justify rioting and criminality. Charlotte Nichols, the Labour MP for Warrington North, criticized Jones’s remarks, saying, “First and foremost, it demeans the office that she holds. We can accept that there is anger in parts of the community about immigration but that doesn’t mean we legitimise thuggery.

Considering the number of police officers who have been injured, I believe her position is untenable. She should resign, and if not, she should be sacked.” Jones, who claims to be the UK’s most senior police commissioner and also chairs the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners, defended her position. Following the criticism, she released another statement praising the police and condemning those acting outside the law. She wrote on the official website of the commissioner, “I stand by my statement issued [Saturday] where I called for calm, and for the country to work together to stop this mindless, criminal behavior.

I fully support the police’s response to stem the growth of these riots and those acting outside of the law should expect to feel the full force of it. The violence we have seen has endangered our communities and infected lawful protest on a much broader issue. As a country this issue is something we should seek to understand without letting it divide us. I am confident there will be a time and place for that discussion in due course.”

The riots, which continued on Sunday in Middlesbrough, Bolton, and Rotherham where rioters attacked a hotel housing migrants, have further intensified the national debate on immigration and public safety. Jones’s comments reflect a broader concern about the impact of immigration on British society and the challenges faced by law enforcement. She argues that arresting rioters is "treating the symptom and not the cause" and calls for a deeper examination of the issues driving the unrest.

However, critics argue that her remarks risk legitimizing violence and undermining the efforts of the police. Charlotte Nichols emphasized that political figures should focus on calming the situation rather than inflaming it, particularly when tensions are already high. She said, “At a time when tensions are running high, political figures should be trying to dial down the situation rather than inflaming it. Instead of undermining the police, they should let our valued police force do what they do best rather than creating unnecessary work for them when they are already overwhelmed trying to do their job with one hand behind their back.”

The situation underscores the complexity of addressing public concerns about immigration while maintaining social order and protecting democratic values. Jones’s insistence on the need to understand the root causes of the unrest highlights the ongoing challenge for policymakers and public officials. As the country grapples with these issues, it is clear that the conversation about immigration and its impact on society will continue to be a contentious and divisive topic. The challenge will be to navigate these complex dynamics in a way that promotes understanding and cohesion without condoning or encouraging unlawful behavior.

As the UK continues to deal with the fallout from the recent riots, the debate sparked by Donna Jones's comments serves as a reminder of the deep divisions within society regarding immigration and public safety. The need for a balanced approach that addresses the concerns of all communities while upholding the rule of law and protecting public safety is more critical than ever. The actions and statements of public officials will play a crucial role in shaping the national discourse and determining the path forward in these challenging times.

Credit: Daily Telegraph  2024-08-06

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, DaveBart said:

You now have 2 tier policing in England,the police actually ran away from a Muslim protest but physically attacked the working class.Sky news van was attacked by a knife welding Muslim while the police just stood by,a 73 year old woman was man handled by 6 police officers in London and then arrested.The establishment have not got a clue and starmer takes the knee

There is one tier of law.

Right now rightwing thugs, who are not ‘the working class’ are on the receiving end.

Do crime, do the time.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Britain now unrecognizable from the country in which I was happily raised during the 1940s and 1950s. 

The same can be said about Canada.Hundreds of thousands of dot Indians have been allowed into Canada under shady education visas.

They've cleaned out the food banks and now pooping on the streets is becoming more and more common.(turban clad)

I left in 2004 and no way I'm ever going back.

Trudeau-Mobbed-in-Hamilton-9.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lokie said:

Comrade Starmer & his band of loony lefties - While Rome Burns...

No excuse for looting or violence, but normal brits have had enough! Also Irish feel same in Eire, been simmering for years

Half the Police are at odds with it all but have to follow orders... They simply will nit have the resources to quell across the Nation... Troops on the streets if UK?? Way to Go Labour... Starmer is living in another dimension, he has no idea of what the person in the street feels, nore do they care

I see this bs repeated all over the forums. The Tories were in for over 10 years. Labour for 10 weeks. And suddenly it's all Labour's fault. What utter rubbish.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

The same can be said about Canada.Hundreds of thousands of dot Indians have been allowed into Canada under shady education visas.

They've cleaned out the food banks and now pooping on the streets is becoming more and more common.(turban clad)

I left in 2004 and no way I'm ever going back.

Trudeau-Mobbed-in-Hamilton-9.png

TBH is not really the Indian peoples... In UK is mainly Pakistani's & Bangladeshi's (you can guess why?) not Hindu's, Sikh's they british as any whites with our respect to british values

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, bradiston said:

But not immigration. The UK is impossible to seal off from the outside world. And I thought Brexit was supposed to stop all this illegal immigration. Another big fat Johnson lie.

We were talking about 2 tiered policing. Do try to keep up - I'm not a primary school teacher. 

Brexit was never about illegal immigration. That was always the job of the UK government. The Tories failed and were voted out, that's how it is supposed to work. Try voting out the EU technocrats. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

You absolutely have to insist on assimilation and you have to make a staged approach to asylum based on an immigrants ability to prove that they're assimilating into society. 

I advocate that any Muslim family with a teenage daughter prove that she's participated in a bikini contest in public by the age of 16 and that their teenage sons have to prove they have no affiliation whatsoever with local Madrasas, or Mullahs preaching extremism.

You want to live here, show us, and demonstrate that you will not remain culturally isolated, and will make an effort to move into the 21st century. If not, there shall be immediate consequences.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lokie said:

You can find plenty!! 

How about; 74 year old Grandmother with Heart condition arrested (with Handcuffs) by four Met Police Officers in Riot gear... She was standing on the pavement... Even MSM broadcast that... 

If you provide ‘a link’ we can all see the full story, not your interpretation.

• Thanks 1