Options for extra education?

Hi, I have two Thai stepchildren currently attending a government school in Bangkok. Both teenagers, doing well academically and a good level of English. I have some concerns about the quality of their education, there seems to be a lot of emphasis on making their homework look pretty, even in maths and science. They also seem to know a lot less in these topics than I did at their age.

Does anyone know of any way they could access additional education, ideally of a western standard - especially maths and science. Do any of the international schools run courses open to non pupils for example, or maybe a good tuition agency?

what program are they on in their (presumably) thai school? most decent schools has English program,

The Maths/Science topic in Thai school may be of a higher level than the international school but they don't apply it in useful way or for science in poorer school will be book-based only and uninteresting

In English program their text books will be from western course and might be more conductive to their actually learning things

the cram/tuition schools  just teaches them to pass the test

There are private tuition for international high school program like IB and A-Levels for the international school kids, you can have your kids join one of those tuition, but if the other kids in the tuition group get access to proper international school teachings during school hours and your kids don't, it'll be difficult to keep up, plus they'll essentially be learning from two syllabus, the thai syllabus they need to pass and get grades and these supplemental stuff

you can get private tutor who's used to tutoring IB/A-levels stuff to maybe develop a course and visit them once or twice a week 

4 hours ago, digbeth said:

what program are they on in their (presumably) thai school? most decent schools has English program,

The Maths/Science topic in Thai school may be of a higher level than the international school but they don't apply it in useful way or for science in poorer school will be book-based only and uninteresting

In English program their text books will be from western course and might be more conductive to their actually learning things.

You are incorrect. 

An English program in a Thai school has to follow the same curriculum as non EP. It's all governed by OBEC. It's all aimed at passing the same exams.

To the OP, you said the kids know less than you did at their age. There you go. You dound like the perfect candidate to take them to the next level.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2024 at 1:36 AM, Shayman said:

Hi, I have two Thai stepchildren currently attending a government school in Bangkok. Both teenagers, doing well academically and a good level of English. I have some concerns about the quality of their education, there seems to be a lot of emphasis on making their homework look pretty, even in maths and science. They also seem to know a lot less in these topics than I did at their age.

Does anyone know of any way they could access additional education, ideally of a western standard - especially maths and science. Do any of the international schools run courses open to non pupils for example, or maybe a good tuition agency?

My kid M1 goes to an EP school. While I'm quite satisfied with the learning, her Thai subjects like history and social are mainly art projects. 

• 2 weeks later...

Shayman, I can share with you a bit of our background:

Eighteen months before the end of his junior high school curriculum, our son started to go to a tutorial school (5 hours every Sunday, focused on Maths and Science). Then, in March 2024, he took 2 entrance exams: Triam Udom Suksa School and Satit Prasarnmit Demonstration School. He got both and chose to join Triam Udom Suksa School Science & Maths.

The tutorial school he went to : https://www.oplus-school.com/

Can I say this TS was good? I think so, it did fit the purpose.

I invite you to contact / visit them.

image.png.ae18ff02bcb094dbc6e5ecacbec19c1c.png

Edited by Fab5BKK