The best dummy ticket for proof of return

So I have to fly out of Thailand and got two one´way tickets (out and back) with Thai Airways but as I rely on visa waiver  my concern is that the Thai Airways staff in Europe will want to see a proof of return to allow me to board. My ticket is technically a one way Frankfurt to Bangkok. I saw that people use "dummy ticket" websites. Would they suffice to persuade a Thair Airways staff you have a return flight? Has anyone used dummy tickets with Thai Airways? Are they a viable option or do I need to pony up the 1900 Baht for an Air Asia fligh to KL I will not use?

19 hours ago, Cameroni said:

So I have to fly out of Thailand and got two one´way tickets (out and back) with Thai Airways but as I rely on visa waiver  my concern is that the Thai Airways staff in Europe will want to see a proof of return to allow me to board. My ticket is technically a one way Frankfurt to Bangkok. I saw that people use "dummy ticket" websites. Would they suffice to persuade a Thair Airways staff you have a return flight? Has anyone used dummy tickets with Thai Airways? Are they a viable option or do I need to pony up the 1900 Baht for an Air Asia fligh to KL I will not use?

Onward dot com

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Why not just take any confirmation pdf from any airline and edit the dates to suit. 

make sure the flight numbers and times are realistic and bobs your uncle

That would cetainly be an option. The only thing these dummy ticket sites check other flights so the dummy ticket is based on a potential real flight. I could check as well of course, but it is a time investment.

But, yes I'm sure that would be a perfectly viable option because the Airline staff is unlikely to check if the fligh actually exists. They just want to see a ticket normally.

I have fairly old tickets and if the airlines changed anything in the logo and that airline staff is aware of that it could raise an eyebrow

Edited by Cameroni

2 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

That would cetainly be an option. The only think these dummy ticket sites check other flights so the dummy ticket is based on a potential real flight. I could check as well of course, but it is a time investment.

But, yes I'm sure that would be a perfectly viable option because the Airline staff is unlikely to check if the fligh actually exists. They just want to see a ticket normally

when I was traveling between the Philippines and Bkk for work I would prepare the ticket in the taxi on the way to the airport based on a prior confirmation.

of course the only time I was asked was the time I didn't 

3 minutes ago, n00dle said:

when I was traveling between the Philippines and Bkk for work I would prepare the ticket in the taxi on the way to the airport based on a prior confirmation.

of course the only time I was asked was the time I didn't 

Murphy's law, but it always worked when you amended the PDF?

11 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

The only thing these dummy ticket sites check other flights so the dummy ticket is based on a potential real flight.

It's not a "dummy" ticket.

It is a confirmed reservation on a real flight, with a real PNR (Passenger Name Record) which you, or airline staff can look up.

Ah, you were never asked, never mind. I just saw my old Thai Airways ticket has a ticket number and QR code, so if they would check that, which they could easily if they are from Thai Airways, that could lead to issues.

Just now, bamnutsak said:

It's not a "dummy" ticket.

It is a confirmed reservation on a real flight, with a real PNR (Passenger Name Record) which you, or airline staff can look up.

Exactly, so that might be preferable to you editing a PDF since I can not make up a verifiable PNR. The only downside these dummy tickets do not have the logos and QR codes, it screams dummy ticket from miles out

7 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

The only downside these dummy tickets do not have the logos and QR codes, it screams dummy ticket from miles out

What do you mean by "these dummy tickets"?

19 hours ago, Cameroni said:

given the fact you can now get 60 days on entry and not limited to 2, you can genuinely say you are staying for a for a few months to travel around, have not bought a return ticket because you don't know your future plans. 

personally ive never been asked to show a return ticket before flying.

if you are concerned about dummy tickets, Air Asia flight to KL I will not use and re-entering, it would suggest you are blaggi....staying longer than a normal tourist does,  why not just apply for one of the new long term visa while in EU. it seems pretty easy to get and means you can stay for 1 year hassle free. i would expect you can even get an agent here to do it for you same as the retirement, non b's, etc

4 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Exactly, so that might be preferable to you editing a PDF since I can not make up a verifiable PNR. The only downside these dummy tickets do not have the logos and QR codes, it screams dummy ticket from miles out

You clearly don’t understand the way those places function. They don’t use dummy tickets. They use real reservations with real airlines, with the correct entry in the database so it can be checked online if required, however they are subsequently cancelled usually between 24 and 48 hours after being issued, so since you should only need the ticket to checkin for your flight and once they have checked you in you no longer have a use for it.

5 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

personally ive never been asked to show a return ticket before flying.

The airline requiring you to show an outward or return ticket while checking in is very dependent on the airline (LCC’s are more likely to ask) and the airport you are travelling from. In some airports you will never be asked, in others you will often be asked, and in others you will always be asked

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You clearly don’t understand the way those places function. They don’t use dummy tickets. They use real reservations with real airlines, with the correct entry in the database so it can be checked online if required, however they are subsequently cancelled usually between 24 and 48 hours after being issued, so since you should only need the ticket to checkin for your flight and once they have checked you in you no longer have a use for it.

No, I understand that, they just don't look like real tickets, no logos or QR codes. But it should be fine then.

1 hour ago, frank83628 said:

given the fact you can now get 60 days on entry and not limited to 2, you can genuinely say you are staying for a for a few months to travel around, have not bought a return ticket because you don't know your future plans. 

You could, but I really don't want to take a chance. I want to be on that flight to Thailand without issues.

6 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

What do you mean by "these dummy tickets"?

There are a number of providers who sell dummy tickets online for Visa, proof of return etc

I've read they're starting to check the actual 6 character code to see if it's valid. None of the onward tickets are. I generally book an onward flight on expedia.com.  Many of the flights (not the budget airlines) have a 24 hour full refund if cancelled policy. So book your refundable ticket just before your checkin and cancel it when at the gate.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cameroni said:

Not at all.  These are real bookings on real airlines flying honest to dawg real airplanes!

You make the reservation via the onward site, and then you can go to the airline website and confirm that your booking exists.

When you check in at the counter, if the agent requires an onward flight, you produce a copy of your booking.  The agent will then access the airline database to confirm.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I've read they're starting to check the actual 6 character code to see if it's valid. None of the onward tickets are. I generally book an onward flight on expedia.com.  Many of the flights (not the budget airlines) have a 24 hour full refund if cancelled policy. So book your refundable ticket just before your checkin and cancel it when at the gate.

I'm now looking at the onward ticket I purchased ($14) July 2022.

Arrived on one-way ticket from China, transiting thru Hong Kong on Cathay.  Onward ticket was required at Hong Kong check in.  The agent did log onto the airline database to confirm I hadn't created a fake PDF.

I reserved a flight 3-1/2 weeks after arrival Bangkok to Singapore on Bangkok Airways.  The emailed flight reservation looks like any other paid booking, including a 6-character reservation code.

5 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Arrived on one-way ticket from China, transiting thru Hong Kong on Cathay.  Onward ticket was required at Hong Kong check in.  The agent did log onto the airline database to confirm I hadn't created a fake PDF.

Wow...so they do check. Jesus Christus..I better find a very reputable dummy ticket vendor, lol

12 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Not at all.  These are real bookings on real airlines flying honest to dawg real airplanes!

You make the reservation via the onward site, and then you can go to the airline website and confirm that your booking exists.

When you check in at the counter, if the agent requires an onward flight, you produce a copy of your booking.  The agent will then access the airline database to confirm.

Do I HAVE to buy the ticket 2 days before the flight I need it for,or can I buy it 2 weeks befor as well?

25 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Dear Lord it is getting more complicated with every post..

• Confused 1

Wow...so they do check. Jesus Christus..I better find a very reputable dummy ticket vendor, lol

Sometimes they check.  Sometimes they don't.  Sometimes they ask, but you can talk your way around it.

I suspected it might be required, so considered the $14 to be cheap insurance.

Do I HAVE to buy the ticket 2 days before the flight I need it for,or can I buy it 2 weeks befor as well?

This appears to be a legitimate loophole, that registered travel agents can make genuine bookings that may be held pending for up to 48 hours.  If not paid, then they automatically cancel.

Thus you must make the booking within a 48-hour window covering your flight.  Put it on your calendar, bookmark the website, do a practice run beforehand...........then book the ticket the night before, giving you ~36 hours to complete your trip, allowing for a one-day delay due to a cancelled connecting flight.

Not complicated.  Super easy!  Barely an inconvenience!

1 minute ago, NoDisplayName said:

This appears to be a legitimate loophole, that registered travel agents can make genuine bookings that may be held pending for up to 48 hours.  If not paid, then they automatically cancel.

Thus you must make the booking within a 48-hour window covering your flight.  Put it on your calendar, bookmark the website, do a practice run beforehand...........then book the ticket the night before, giving you ~36 hours to complete your trip, allowing for a one-day delay due to a cancelled connecting flight.

Not complicated.  Super easy!  Barely an inconvenience!

Thanks, and this 6 character code, if the agent checks it, the dummy ticket will have a working one?

6 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Thanks, and this 6 character code, if the agent checks it, the dummy ticket will have a working one?

Yes.  First thing I did after making the booking was to access Bangkok Airways website to confirm my flight reservation USING THE 6-CHARACTER RESERVATION CODE.  It appeared within about five minutes.

I went to this here website, scrolled down to "Manage my Booking" and entered the 6-character code (booking reference) and my last name.

https://www.bangkokair.com/

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Like 1