Changing New Passport Number At Bank

6 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Isn't that only for those who use the "app" ?  or is it now for everybody 

From BB website.

1. Added facial recognition for the following transactions via mobile banking effective from May 2023 onwards. 
  • Transfer to others via Account No./PromptPay/QR code or top up PromptPay/G-Wallet for these conditions:
    • A transaction of 50,000 baht or more 
    • A transaction which pushes the daily accumulated transfer amount to reach 200,000 baht. This applies for each instance that the total accumulated transfer amount passes 200,000 baht.
  • Increase the daily transfer or payment limit in the application.

3 hours ago, jaideedave said:

A couple years ago I did the right thing to get my pp info updated.

I gave the lady my pp and she disappeared for 45 minutes while I waited at her desk. All in I was there for over an hour. ffs

So much for a 5 minute job. wtf was she doing?

Well that is one of life's mysteries,  Similar to "why do we rarely see dead rats or pigeons" or "what do immigration do with all the copies we give them"   In this case she  probably just got carried away on her mobile phone and lost track of time,   or was it time to "gin khao" and she didn't tell you she was going to lunch

5 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

From BB website.

1. Added facial recognition for the following transactions via mobile banking effective from May 2023 onwards. 
  • Transfer to others via Account No./PromptPay/QR code or top up PromptPay/G-Wallet for these conditions:
    • A transaction of 50,000 baht or more 
    • A transaction which pushes the daily accumulated transfer amount to reach 200,000 baht. This applies for each instance that the total accumulated transfer amount passes 200,000 baht.
  • Increase the daily transfer or payment limit in the application.

"transactions via mobile banking"   so that would imply its just the app

14 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

had I been in Thailand the phone call would have bankrupted me, although she did say that I might have been able to claim it back from the bank. 

You are using the wrong service, my Thailand to U.K. calls are around 50p to £1 an hour 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, edwardflory said:

Take your OLD and NEW PP to the bank, should take around 5 minutes, give or take.  Correct PP number prevents future problems with the bank.  If joint account, the other person might need to go also.

EDIT: I updated at KRUNGSRI, no problems with apk

I visited 4 banks, the average time was 50 minutes 

• Haha 1

Just to add an exception to the rule.

I went into my BKK branch to get a new debit card. As my new passport had recently materialised I took it and the old one.

I handed over the old PP for the process. The young lady says "Oh, this passport is cancelled, did you know".

I replied yes and I brought it because it is the one you have on record, I also have the new one to update your records.

"No need, the old one is fine."

At which point I took a phone call but on returning to the service desk forgot to insist on the update 🤦🏻‍♂️.

I'm going to change the number next week. Just a question about mobile banking. 

I've read replies about changing the passport number at my bank (SCB) but I'm a little confused about how that will affect my mobile banking.  What affect will changing the passport number at my bank (SCB) have on my mobile banking if any?

Also I have accounts at two SCB branches: on in Lamphun and on in Chiang Mai.  Will I need to change at both branches or just one branch?

On 8/8/2024 at 1:26 PM, brianthainess said:

You don't need to get the stamps moved to your new PP until you apply for your new extension, they do not know or care when you got it.

As with the banks only when you have to do over the counter business like your yearly letter/statement does it matter.

Seriously bad advice.  Immigration moved my extension to stay from March 2025 to January 2025.  That would have been quick ticket to an overstay. 

On the positive side, I'm now going to do my annual Extension Based On Married in December 2024 in case Immigration decides to start requiring farangs to present a completed Thai Tax Return after Jan 1st 2025 as a new requirement.  Not that I'm worried about the possible Thai taxes or a requirement to file as that is still as clear as mud.  If forced to file they end up paying me back all the money they deduct from my bank account (15% of earn interest).  But it's just an extra paperwork shuffle I'd rather not do.  I'd rather kick back and see what everyone else does in 2025.

2 hours ago, connda said:

Seriously bad advice.  Immigration moved my extension to stay from March 2025 to January 2025.  That would have been quick ticket to an overstay. 

On the positive side, I'm now going to do my annual Extension Based On Married in December 2024 in case Immigration decides to start requiring farangs to present a completed Thai Tax Return after Jan 1st 2025 as a new requirement.  Not that I'm worried about the possible Thai taxes or a requirement to file as that is still as clear as mud.  If forced to file they end up paying me back all the money they deduct from my bank account (15% of earn interest).  But it's just an extra paperwork shuffle I'd rather not do.  I'd rather kick back and see what everyone else does in 2025.

That is not bad advise at all if you apply one month before your old passport ends, of course if your passport ends you would be on overstay, how would immigration know when you got your new passport ? answer is they don't.

On 8/8/2024 at 4:15 PM, Bday Prang said:

Isn't that only for those who use the "app" ?  or is it now for everybody 

Who knows who cares Good luck can asking them I think only the high ups in Bangkok Bank know what they're doing

18 hours ago, connda said:

I'm going to change the number next week. Just a question about mobile banking. 

I've read replies about changing the passport number at my bank (SCB) but I'm a little confused about how that will affect my mobile banking.  What affect will changing the passport number at my bank (SCB) have on my mobile banking if any?

Also I have accounts at two SCB branches: on in Lamphun and on in Chiang Mai.  Will I need to change at both branches or just one branch?

Changing your passport number has zero effect on mobile banking. Some transactions in a branch will be blocked if you don’t change the number. I have recently changed numbers at 4 different banks, no problems just way too much time.

You only need to visit one SCB branch but you must take both old and new passports along with the bank books for all accounts 

22 hours ago, connda said:

If immigration starts requiring a tax return next year I will eat my shoes.

But when nothing happens on January 1st, then everyone will say “oh just wait until the end of March.” then nothing will happen then. then they will say “end of the year.” nothing will happen then either.  

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Everyman said:

If immigration starts requiring a tax return next year I will eat my shoes.

They will not as tax returns are voluntary, though not paying tax!

2 hours ago, Everyman said:

But when nothing happens on January 1st, then everyone will say “oh just wait until the end of March.” then nothing will happen then. then they will say “end of the year.” nothing will happen then either.  

Some people will get audited, just hope it isn’t you!

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

They will not as tax returns are voluntary, though not paying tax!

Some people will get audited, just hope it isn’t you!

I will be in Thailand fewer than 180 days this dear for unrelated reasons. 

On 8/8/2024 at 12:10 PM, NanLaew said:

My offshore UK bank had me jumping through all sorts of hoops to comply with mandatory KYC (know your customer) protocols. This fully 28 years after I opened the account.

The accounts I hold, some are in Europe and the USA, also went thro KYC compliance a few years ago, but I don't plan to go around all my accounts updating my info until they ask for it when I get a new pp.

• Agree 1