Belgian Man Rescued from Locked Car After Fan Drains Battery

3 hours ago, CallumWK said:

And look what I found here, which explains how to manually open the doors in a full electric BMW when the battery is flat

image.png.0d4a427718af25c01ba7ac04f639bc0a.png

Great information to learn that there is such a system in place for a manual override 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

In a peculiar and tense situation, a Belgian man found himself trapped inside his car after the battery drained, rendering the doors inoperable. The incident unfolded at a gas station in Kamphaeng Phet Province, where the man had taken a short nap after a long drive.

Around 2:00 a.m. on August 7, 2014, officers from the Kamphaeng Phet News Image Rescue Foundation received an urgent call from a concerned convenience store employee. The employee had noticed the man trapped inside a locked red BMW and promptly sought assistance.

The rescue team swiftly arrived at the scene to find the car doors unresponsive due to an entirely drained battery. Inside, the 40-year-old Belgian tourist was visibly distressed and weakened. Rescue officers repeatedly tried to instruct the man to press the unlock button, but their efforts proved futile without a functional electrical system.

As time ticked on and the man’s condition visibly worsened due to stifling heat and plummeting oxygen levels, the rescuers made the tough decision to break the car window. Smashing the glass was the only viable option to prevent any further danger to the man’s health. Thankfully, the quick intervention worked, and the foreigner emerged from the vehicle, albeit feeble and faint from the ordeal.

The Belgian tourist, who had journeyed from Chiang Rai to Chonburi, explained that he had parked at the gas station to rest, allowing the fan to run while he slept. Unfortunately, the fan’s continuous operation drained the car’s battery completely. Feeling trapped, he struggled to escape until the convenience store employee noticed his plight and alerted the authorities.

The entire operation lasted nearly two hours, but thanks to the diligent efforts of the rescuers, the man was ultimately guided to safety. After receiving immediate assistance, including provisions from the tourist police, he was able to continue his journey, much relieved and wiser.

Picture courtesy: 3Plus NEWS

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-08

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I don't know what type of automobile the man drove, but whoever the manufacturer is, they could and should be held responsible for this dire slip of safety measures regarding such an instance that easily could've resulted in negligent homicide.

Had the drive rested somewhere else like a deserted remote area this bit of news would've been quite different.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CallumWK said:

I wonder what car that was. My car also has central lock, but there is still a manual unlock button on each door.

Also as someone else already mentioned, opening the hood and connecting bridge the battery would have sorted it, which I assume they did anyway later, otherwise how would he be able to continue his journey

BMW  BOEREN MEST WAGON

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Maybe pissed as a newt at 2am......:burp:

Yes, I reckon the dude was drunk and drugged up. 

What sort of pathetic human can't open a car door. 

When I'm in the village, I sit in my car for hours and hours, battery still opens doors. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, I reckon the dude was drunk and drugged up. 

What sort of pathetic fool can't open a car door. 

When I'm in the village, I sit in my car for hours and hours, battery still opens doors. 

With just the fan running and not the Engine ? ..........:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This makes no sense at all. 

"Difficult decision" to break the window? If that was truly the only option, then what did they wait for?

Rescue personnel that don't know how to rescue!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Toxane said:

Could have just opened the hood for them to bridge the battery. Problem solved in less than a minute without breaking s**t.

My first thoughts. But TIT.

7 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

They need explosive bolts in the doors 

Sounds like what Gus Grissom wanted from The Right Stuff 1983!  😆

Edited by Sheist

13 minutes ago, Retfed50 said:

Difficult decision" to break the window?

The oxygen levels were dwindling,he was at risk, can't survive without oxygen, certain death. 🤣

After reading I thought at he may have been in a submarine. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

5 hours ago, CallumWK said:

Lou, is that you?

Why you not answer my question and tell us how they opened the hood to charge the battery, if it was not possible to open the hood without a charged battery?

In most newish and older cars the hood release in a mechanical release. You pull!!! Also in most cars there is a way to open the drivers door without the aid of battery power. My neighbour a week ago had the same problem and the local mechanic helped her, explained what to do. Nothing smashed. New battery and on her way. 

• Thanks 1

Seriously, I can't stop reading this thread, it's bloody hilarious. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'd like to meet the Belgium guy, buy him a beer for giving us all a good laugh 😜

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BritScot said:

In most newish and older cars the hood release in a mechanical release. You pull!!! Also in most cars there is a way to open the drivers door without the aid of battery power. My neighbour a week ago had the same problem and the local mechanic helped her, explained what to do. Nothing smashed. New battery and on her way. 

Of course, it's called a safety future

1 hour ago, ujayujay said:

You must be a magician who can open a hood without unlocking the release which is only inside the vehicle....smartass😂

Read again. There was someone inside the vehicle. Pull cable hood release , connect to battery post.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

This fairly bizarre incident could have easily been resolved by simply opening the hood. The vast majority of new cars just simply have lever mechanisms that are not electronic, which leads to a latch under the hood at which point they could have simply applied bumper cables to the battery, and unlocked the door. It would appear to me that somebody did not have their thinking cap on, and it would also appear that this was quite an overreaction to a situation that was less than an emergency. 

Also, who would sit in their car and leave their air conditioner running without leaving their engine running? I've certainly never done that, and if you're leaving your engine running your battery is charging, so just another aspect of the situation that is bizarre at best. 

Jump to battery or jump to live post if the battery is in the trunk.

• Agree 1

Good grief!!   How did this guy manage to learn how to drive?   
*leaves the fan on but didn’t realise it would drain the battery!

*couldn’t open the door…..from the inside! 😂

*couldn’t pull the hood/bonnet release!

*couldn’t break the window himself!

can he manage to dress himself and chew his food without assistance?

There was a joke about a man who locked his keys in his car…….it took an hour to get his wife and kids out!

This tops that!!! 😂

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, CallumWK said:

Lou, is that you?

Why you not answer my question and tell us how they opened the hood to charge the battery, if it was not possible to open the hood without a charged battery?

I dont believe there is a car on the market that is design with a battery being charge. They all are done manually!  

• Confused 2

They are all design with a safety feature. 

Man or not we all panic my fully loader and I mean fully loaded Hemi engine back home worse car I have ever purchased I was cleaning the inside as I started to start the engine as I turned the key nothing happened but the doors automatically locked I flipped the handle nothing I panic even started to hypervent then I gather myself push the button opposite from locking show red door open. Lucky no one was around I thought I wet myself:cheesy:

I had a 2006 Corvette that had electric door releases, so maybe this BMW did too, they would not work if the battery was dead but there is a manual release handle inside the car to open the door. 

IMG_3005.thumb.jpeg.e35de20b02faf34cd6bb3ef41372ff2b.jpeg
Definately an E46… should have been able to manually pop the hood and jump. As a German car enthusiast (Benz/Beemer), I’ve owned several throughout the years in the U.S.  Wouldn’t buy one here for multiple reasons- support being one of them. Case in point pictured above!

Edited by RethairedJarhead
  • Thumbs Up 1