Renewing my yearly Thai blue Social Security card. Why are they asking for WP?

I worked 4 hard years as a teacher in a govt school. When quitting I joined the SS scheme paying 400 baht a month for free hospital cover at my nominated govt hospital. I assumed I had this for life with or without having a WP

My blue card expired last month so I visited the office. The lady told me that I have to show a copy of my passport and WP. I said I would return later on. 

I actually have a WP but might not have one in the future. I was thinking why should I be giving them a copy of WP considering that most foreigners join the scheme when quitting their jobs. 

I want to check on this forum who is correct regarding this matter. I dont want to give my WP bc one day I might not be working. Its better to challenge them on this issue now I think. 

Please advise if you have knowledge on this subject. 

• Haha 1

I am unclear: are you still working with monthly SS deductions from your salary, or are you no longer working and opted to self pay to continue cover? 

Or are you still working but at a private school so not included in SS?

• Like 1

Indeed a bit unclear to me as well. If you are on voluntarily contribution (scheme - section 39), your SSO number will be changed to your Pink ID Card number. All your SSO contributions from your previous employer (section 33) and voluntary contributions (section 39) should be now listed under your Pink ID Card number. Hence, when you try to renew your Blue SSO card, the officer may be confused and find no record under your old number...

May I ask you.. Are you still under section 39 (voluntary contributions) and working again? Which card did you use to start working again (the old number or new one)? 

I've got  similar case going on and need some advance on that one as well? Didn't receive many reactions yet... Anyone?

Cheers,

Ook

The contributions are deducted and funneled to the Social Security Insurance by the EMPLOYER. For Thais there is a possibility to get coverage by paying both, the employee's and the employer's contribution - which does not apply to non-Thais. 

So your membership with the SSI is mandatory during an employment you might have to seek private coverage for any such SSI-services and benefits through an insurance. In closing, don't expect miracles; I contributed 35 years and got a one-time-pay-out based on the last seven years only. Financially speaking it was a joke and a loss but luckily I do not depend on this and the 30 Baht health scheme was never used by me due to its complicated set-up of using a hospital 60kms away from work/home as all other medical institutions were "full of membership" already. 

I think they'll only issue a card through an employer. For a while they stopped issuing them completely but then started again for foreigners. But I don't know if they renew the cards, even with an expiry date, because you don't actually need the card as long as you know your number. You can log in to the online system to check your payments and entitlements.  

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I am unclear: are you still working with monthly SS deductions from your salary, or are you no longer working and opted to self pay to continue cover? 

I moved to this new city 5 yrs ago and started a business with my wife. In the first 2 yrs I wasnt working and thus paid the 400 baht a month. Then I finally got a WP 3 yrs ago. Im unsure what system that Im in now actually. Back when I started the WP I spoke to them and think they said that I cant join the same SS scheme as my workers. The monthly debit is still the same 400 a month thereabouts. Automatic debit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I think they'll only issue a card through an employer. For a while they stopped issuing them completely but then started again for foreigners. But I don't know if they renew the cards, even with an expiry date, because you don't actually need the card as long as you know your number. You can log in to the online system to check your payments and entitlements.  

thanks for your comment. Can you please send me the link where I can log in? 

2 hours ago, Ook said:

Indeed a bit unclear to me as well. If you are on voluntarily contribution (scheme - section 39), your SSO number will be changed to your Pink ID Card number. All your SSO contributions from your previous employer (section 33) and voluntary contributions (section 39) should be now listed under your Pink ID Card number. Hence, when you try to renew your Blue SSO card, the officer may be confused and find no record under your old number...

May I ask you.. Are you still under section 39 (voluntary contributions) and working again? Which card did you use to start working again (the old number or new one)? 

I've got  similar case going on and need some advance on that one as well? Didn't receive many reactions yet... Anyone?

Cheers,

Ook

I moved to this new city 5 yrs ago and started a business with my wife. In the first 2 yrs I wasnt working and thus paid the 400 baht a month. Then I finally got a WP 3 yrs ago. Im unsure what system that Im in now actually. Back when I started the WP I spoke to them and think they said that I cant join the same SS scheme as my workers. The monthly debit is still the same 400 a month thereabouts. Automatic debit

I just looked at the number on the blue card and that differs to the number on my pink card. 

I think Im still on the old system paying the 400 a month automatic debit and not on any employer system. 

Now I understand why she is asking for my WP. 

Should I show her the confusion re this issue or just continue to pay on the old system?

11 hours ago, advancebooking said:

I just looked at the number on the blue card and that differs to the number on my pink card. 

I think Im still on the old system paying the 400 a month automatic debit and not on any employer system. 

Now I understand why she is asking for my WP. 

Should I show her the confusion re this issue or just continue to pay on the old system?

If you are a director of the bompany I think you may not be eligible for section 33  and need to just continue under Section 39.

Suggest you call SS head office to confirm.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 2:49 PM, advancebooking said:

I actually have a WP but might not have one in the future. I was thinking why should I be giving them a copy of WP considering that most foreigners join the scheme when quitting their jobs. 

I want to check on this forum who is correct regarding this matter. I dont want to give my WP bc one day I might not be working. Its better to challenge them on this issue now I think. 

Give them whatever they want from you for now. In the future, your situation will change, and their rules for that situation will change. If you challenge them, most likely you will not win.  As others have said, get signed up on the government SSO website and monitor your contributions and expected benefits. 

For example. My situation was similar to yours. I worked in Thailand for 19 years. Two different work permits, always covered under government SSO health. Now retired, in order to continue coverage, I have 6 months to get a Thai ID Pink card and reapply for government health at my expense (no WP required anymore).  As others have suggested, there becomes a huge nightmare changing SSO# tied to your passport number to your new Pink Card number, including all bank accounts, etc. Welcome to Thailand. 

Edited by scoutman360
  • Like 1

Just now, scoutman360 said:

Give them whatever they want from you for now. In the future, your situation will change, and their rules for that situation will change. If you challenge them, most likely you will not win.  As others have said, get signed up on the govnernment SSO website and monitor your contributions and expected benefits. 

For example. My situation was similar to yours. I worked in Thailand for 19 years. Two different work permits, always covered under goverment SSO health. Now retired, in order to continue coverage, I have 6 months to get a Thai ID Pink card and reapply for government health at my expense (no WP required anymore).  As others have suggested, there becomes a huge nightmare changing SSO# from your passport number to your new Pink Card number, including all bank accounts, etc. Welcome to Thailand. 

agree, go along with whatever they ask, i've never had a problem in thailand, but years ago i was working in japan and there was a small issue, i went along with the IO and he was extremely helpful in solving the problem. win win.

12 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Next  time! Do not state a company without knowledge of facts.

Edited by Gottfrid

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If you are a director of the bompany I think you may not be eligible for section 33  and need to just continue under Section 39.

corect

11 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

Give them whatever they want from you for now. In the future, your situation will change, and their rules for that situation will change. If you challenge them, most likely you will not win.  As others have said, get signed up on the government SSO website and monitor your contributions and expected benefits. 

For example. My situation was similar to yours. I worked in Thailand for 19 years. Two different work permits, always covered under government SSO health. Now retired, in order to continue coverage, I have 6 months to get a Thai ID Pink card and reapply for government health at my expense (no WP required anymore).  As others have suggested, there becomes a huge nightmare changing SSO# tied to your passport number to your new Pink Card number, including all bank accounts, etc. Welcome to Thailand. 

The problem starts when you decide to start to work again and switch from your Pink ID card SSO number (section 39) and go back to work and switch under old or new SSO number for employment. Then the two SSO numbers don't link up anymore... Anyone advise on how to deal with this when you decide to start working again and switching from voluntary payment (section 39) back to work (employment - 33)?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Ook said:

The problem starts when you decide to start to work again and switch from your Pink ID card SSO number (section 39) and go back to work and switch under old or new SSO number for employment. Then the two SSO numbers don't link up anymore... Anyone advise on how to deal with this when you decide to start working again and switching from voluntary payment (section 39) back to work (employment - 33)?

Wow! I didn't know this. Just 3 days ago I was contacted by my previous employer asking me if I wanted to come back.  Good point. Thanks!!

On 8/9/2024 at 11:19 PM, Sheryl said:

we dont have company structure. we run the business via my wifes personal name

On 8/9/2024 at 11:49 PM, scoutman360 said:

In my situation as described in my post above, I think I should not do anything. Just keep paying under the private scheme of SS. Not pay via my wifes business. Whats the point of changing it? I have huge salary and would therefore be forced to report a false (lower) base salary per month. Theres no way I could report my huge salary. The SS premium would be massive. Complete waste of money

16 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

we dont have company structure. we run the business via my wifes personal name

If are listed as director in the company filings, you are not eligible for social security 

you can hold shares in the company without being a director, but for most small business setup, this is rare 

So this whole thing leaves up speculation that it could be possible for someone to be under the private scheme (section 39) by private contributions while also under the SSO scheme through employment at the same time? As Numbers are not linked?

Would anyone be able to confirm this? 

On 8/8/2024 at 2:49 PM, advancebooking said:

My blue card expired last month so I visited the office. The lady told me that I have to show a copy of my passport and WP. I said I would return later on. 

The blue card is issued on behalf of a company, so technically the SSO lady is correct.

If you pay SSO on your own (THB 432 a month) you wont get a Blue card, they will request for a PINK ID card

The Pink card is 13 digits and starts with a 6XXX

To get a Pink card you have to be entered in a House Registration and get your own Yellow House book

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

The blue card is issued on behalf of a company, so technically the SSO lady is correct.

If you pay SSO on your own (THB 432 a month) you wont get a Blue card, they will request for a PINK ID card

To get a Pink card you have to be entered in a House Registration and get your own Yellow House book

Great feedback. But what would happen if you decide to start working again after you have been registered under SSO voluntary contributions (432 THB / month) and start to work again? Which number do you use? The old one you used under previous years of employment (blue card) or the new one linked to your Pink ID card number? From what the SSO lady says, it is not possible to use number from Pink ID card for SSO under employment. Hence, my question.. would it be possible to be registered under both with 2 different SSO numbers at the same time? As they are not linked? Anyone?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

Incorrect. I have a blue card and I pay SSO on my own 432 a month. And we do not have a company structure. We operate our business via my wifes name. I also have a pink card. Both numbers are different to each other. And I have a Work permit. 

I think I should not bother renewing my blue card. It doesnt really matter. I can rock up to the hospital anytime and just give my HN number for the hospital that Im registered to. I must keep sufficient funds in the account for the next 25 yrs. 

Edited by advancebooking

1 hour ago, Ook said:

Great feedback. But what would happen if you decide to start working again after you have been registered under SSO voluntary contributions (432 THB / month) and start to work again? Which number do you use? The old one you used under previous years of employment (blue card) or the new one linked to your Pink ID card number? From what the SSO lady says, it is not possible to use number from Pink ID card for SSO under employment. Hence, my question.. would it be possible to be registered under both with 2 different SSO numbers at the same time? As they are not linked? Anyone?

Its not good feedback. What he said if factually incorrect. 

20 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

And we do not have a company structure. We operate our business via my wifes name. I also have a pink card. Both numbers are different to each other. And I have a Work permit

What you are writing here is absolutely fraud and fabricated.

If you do not have a DBD authorized company how did you get a WP?

You are doing illegal activity and motivating other members to follow your suit

On 8/8/2024 at 9:49 PM, Sheryl said:

He'll need a yellow house book for that, I think.

On 8/8/2024 at 9:49 PM, Sheryl said:

If this is the case, he can get SS.

Private schools can get it, contrary to what a lot of private schools say, lol.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

If this is the case, he can get SS.

Private schools can get it, contrary to what a lot of private schools say, lol.

I can  confirm that.

My wife worked for a private school here on Samui for many years and the SS office were more than happy to collect contributions from all of the teachers.

It made their numbers look good.

Her contributions were refunded when she died - it paid for her funeral.

I have had a work permit since 2002 and always had a new SS card every year or two until 2012.

Then I was told that I did not need one. Just remember the SS number.

That was my last card..

It may have been about the time that directors were told to pay contribution via standing order from their bank accounts.

Not sure of the dates. Sorry.