How to kill 5 children with 1 motorcycle

3 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

My parents never had a car or motorbike in their 40+ years of marriage. That includes 20+ years in OZ, where public transport is not great.

How did they go shopping or were there shops and eating facilities very close to their residencies. Or did they have a tandem? 555

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

How did they go shopping

In the early days in England Dad was a coal miner. Mum rode a bike with me on the back a few km to local shops. Small village. Later, in OZ, they used public transport. 

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

In the early days in England Dad was a coal miner. Mum rode a bike with me on the back a few km to local shops. Small village. Later, in OZ, they used public transport. 

What's your Dad's job got to do with it?

• Sad 2

42 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Mostly on back-country roads. Rare on main roads.

Obvious question: When a motorcycle is the best anyone (but not everyone) can afford, how are you supposed to get around?

like most kids that age they ride a push bike.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

"Mostly on back-country roads. Rare on main roads." 

Really, Stand outside the school on Soi Arunothai at 4p when the BIB hold up traffic for the 2 and 3 up unhelmeted, unlicensed kids ride out. This school has 500+ kids

Worst thing is if you are involved in an accident with them, you will foot the bill and eventually have to life your life with the thought that you killed some children

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Worst thing is if you are involved in an accident with them, you will foot the bill and eventually have to life your life with the thought that you killed some children

But you didn't... their circumstances or stupidity did. But footing the bill could be an issue - not sure what would happen if they had no insurance, tax, or helmets and were underaged.

31 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

"Mostly on back-country roads. Rare on main roads." 

Really, Stand outside the school on Soi Arunothai at 4p when the BIB hold up traffic for the 2 and 3 up unhelmeted, unlicensed kids ride out. This school has 500+ kids

Poor excuse.

Will you let your children drive a motorcycle, with a lot of children on the same motorcycle and without protection go joyriding?

I think not

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

But you didn't... their circumstances or stupidity did. But footing the bill could be an issue - not sure what would happen if they had no insurance, tax, or helmets and were underaged.

In rural parts, if it's clear that you were not at fault (even as the weeping & wailing rellies arrive), the cops will say: Give us 3 or 4000฿ and we'll look after them. Now drive on.

Which implies of course that most - perhaps all - of the cash won't disappear into the cops' pockets. But you drive on anyway and hear nothing more about the episode.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Mostly on back-country roads. Rare on main roads.

Obvious question: When a motorcycle is the best anyone (but not everyone) can afford, how are you supposed to get around?

Can they not afford helmets?

How about an adult driver??

• Love It 1

23 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Can they not afford helmets?

How about an adult driver??

Often no. If there is one, it'll be 1-only for the family.

And if Dad is driving (with Mum and 3 kids on board) Dad will be wearing the helmet (if anyone is).

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

like most kids that age they ride a push bike.

Like others here - very common on AN - you assume that poor peasants have money to solve every one of life's little problems. The only money several members of my family have here in Surin comes from me.

As to push bikes, they are relatively rare. Mostly when I do see one it's being ridden by an old man staggering along a rural road.  If there were a bicycle available for the kids, there would be - as with helmets - only one for the whole family.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Like others here - very common on AN - you assume that poor peasants have money to solve every one of life's little problems. The only money several members of my family have here in Surin comes from me.

As to push bikes, they are relatively rare. Mostly when I do see one it's being ridden by an old man staggering along a rural road.  If there were a bicycle available for the kids, there would be - as with helmets - only one for the whole family.

A few months ago, the police was giving out free helmets for these poor farmers.

The helmets were sold before the farmers got home...

36 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I can answer that question!

You'll get a 500 baht fine (maybe more nowadays) for careless driving causing injury and you'll have to pay some compensation to each rider (few thousand each should do, but it depends on what they accept)

However, your insurance won't pay anything for their damages if they didn't have a tax sticker or a driver's license and if you were stupid enough to tell everyone in the room at the police station where you live or work, you should expect the grandparents to show up at your workplace or home moaning about how the insurance won't give them anything.

But that's pretty much it from my experience. 

Agree with you, but the biggest deal is to continue your life after you have seen a kid's brain plastered on the road by the car you were driving.

• Thumbs Up 1