I have a serious question for you..

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

So you think that it's better (politically) in Thailand, where coups are as common as muck and free speech is non existent, than in the UK?

Am I right about that?

bob.

as usual your not right about much.

Difference for me is it's not my country and i don't have to care what they do, i used to be quite passionate about politics back home, here i don't give a toss as it doesn't really affect me much.

• Like 1

Just now, bob smith said:

I couldn't give a stuff!

bob.

There are very few foreigners granted permanent residency in Thailand. A visa can be revoked at any time, with no appeal process.

Your choice, your risk.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

If a political party in the west (UK, US, AUS, NZ/WHATEVER) managed to get the majority of the public vote and then suddenly, out of thin air, that party got disbanded - what do you think would happen?

Cheers.

bob.

Anyone protesting in the UK would be called far right thugs by the Daily Mail and Tommy Robinson would get the blame:sad:

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

Not pointless.

Thailand likes to portray itself as a developed nation.

are you saying that they are, in fact, the contrary?

bob.

"Developing/Developed Nation" is an economic term.........the nature of its governance has nothing to do with it.

China and Russia are both developed.

Thailand is a developing?/developed? nation whose governance is equivalent to that of a banana republic.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If a political party in the west (UK, US, AUS, NZ/WHATEVER) managed to get the majority of the public vote and then suddenly, out of thin air, that party got disbanded - what do you think would happen?

Cheers.

bob.

Go drink and forget it

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

what do you think would happen?

In the United Kingdom (UK) IMO,  nothing would happen as there is a true parliamentary democracy.  Whatever political party wins a General Election "takes control". This goes back to the two Civil Wars in the 17th Century when Oliver Cromwell's Parliamentarians beat the Royalists and executed the Monarch. He sowed the seeds of today's democratic UK Parliament system having dissolved the Rump Parliament which, at that time, had appointed MPs, not voted for by the people. In 1651 Cromwell became Lord Protector until his death in 1658.  Monarchy was restored but with no parliamentary influence.

The Parliament of the United Kingdom is one of the oldest legislatures in the world, and is characterised by the stability of its governing institutions and its capacity to absorb change.[12] The Westminster system shaped the political systems of the nations once ruled by the British Empire, and thus has been called the "mother of parliaments".[13][g] (wikipedia)

Thai Parliament with its "establishment" dinosaurs, please note "its capacity to absorb change"

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, susanlea said:

Put a sock in what? 

Oh dear, a spat between two resident trolls.

I sense a truckload of one-liners coming on this thread.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bob smith said:

Cheers.

bob.

What would happen, is a stronger reaction with more power beneath. After that, it would not be possible, as head of government would not fall for such illusion.

If they anyway decided to ban, they would be taken to court.

But, Thank you Bob, for making an interesting discussion. 🙂 

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

I doubt much would happen in the UK. where it's quite normal for a political party to promise the electorate many things secure an election victory and then having secured victory they then break every promise they make. Its really not that different to the scenario Bob mentions in the OP.     

You really haven't lived in Thailand log enough.

How many versions of Pheu Thai have there been?

This one where you roll your eyes and accept you are in Thailand

15 hours ago, bob smith said:

Cheers.

bob.

The parliament would be blockaded. nationwide protests would occur and many marches on the Capital. If the disbanding was by the Court system I would doubt protests would remain peaceful. At the top of the List would be currently NZ is One of the most Democratic and open societies in the World and for that to happen we would have to have sunk to despotism. so Armed rebellion would not be out of the question. And given an NZ Military of only 13500 in all Services and around 10000 Police many who would probably support the majority view. 1981 the Springbok Tour nearly tore the Country in half. While many of us just observed both sides of that went to excess. Civilization is only a thin veneer.

I strongly dislike posts where the OP feels the need to post to every single reply, and the entire thread is dominated by his already expressed opinion, many times over.  Blocked.

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Oh dear, a spat between two resident trolls.

I sense a truckload of one-liners coming on this thread.

Don't cry. You moved to a right wing nation. Toughen up.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

I strongly dislike posts where the OP feels the need to post to every single reply, and the entire thread is dominated by his already expressed opinion, many times over.  Blocked.

He started the topic :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, bob smith said:

Cheers.

bob.

I'd think I was in democratic Thailand or some other third world country! :jap:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You don't know who is reading the posts.

For all you know, there is someone on ASEAN staff who is sending a weekly report to the Thai government, detailing what the farangs are talking about.

They've got your name, they've got your number, Lacy! Careful what you say!😏

16 hours ago, bob smith said:

Cheers.

bob.

You mean US without Democrats or UK without Tories? Dictatorship or Autocracy!