Covid-19 destroyed millions of peoples lives with little or zero consequence whatsoever

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"Despite warning about the hazards of forecasting with incomplete data, Ioannidis ventured a prediction of his own. Based on mortality figures from the Diamond Princess cruise ship outbreak, he wrote that the virus might claim only 10,000 lives in the United States. (Later he would seek to portray this figure as his “lower bound” estimate.)

I am aware of Ionnidis own flawed figures, this is precisely the point I am making, that reality has far too many variables in order for any academic to produce accurate models. The reason is obvious, the model can only output based on what is put in, and if the facts are not known, or are too complex, they can not be fed into the model. So even very smart people will come out with totally flawed models. We saw this with Neil Ferguson as well. You say his modelling was correct, but actually when it is put to proper scrutiny it was flawed. In this table below one can see how Ferguson's Imperial model overestimated deaths, both with lockdown measures and without.

Imperialcoll.jpg.565f226bca2b834534ef4a062e771cf7.jpg

https://www.aier.org/article/the-failure-of-imperial-college-modeling-is-far-worse-than-we-knew/

Edited by Cameroni

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"Experts have suggested that socio-demographic factors could have played a huge part in keeping down excess deaths, meaning that the policy of shunning formal lockdowns may not have worked equally well in other countries.

Pure speculation unsupported by data. In reality we KNOW as a FACT that the population of the UK also out of itself modified its social behaviour in the pandemic. Even Ferguson conceded under questioning that populations act in this way. This was not unique behaviour to Sweden, Denmark or Norway.

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

These factors include “having a high rate of single-person households”, therefore reducing opportunities for transmission, as well as a “low population density compared to countries such as the UK and Italy”, said the Daily Mail."

The UK in absolute numbers, with 30% of single households has far more single households than Sweden, where 50% of households are single but the population figures for the UK and Sweden are different. In absolute numbers the UK has far more single households.

Yes, low population density, but Sweden is not just red houses in the country, they have major cities like Stockholm, Malmo, Goteburg too.

And again, there is absolutely zero data or evidence that these factors are what caused Sweden's mortality figures to be among the lowest in the pandemic.

35 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Sweden’s neighbours fared significantly better in keeping excess death rates down, with Denmark logging just 32 excess deaths per 100,000, while Norway logged “one fewer death per 100,000 than expected”, said the paper."

I don't think you understand the point. The point is that Sweden has excess death rates considerably better than the vast majority of countries who used enforced lockdowns, despite Sweden not using enfoced lockdowns in the same way. This means that populations CAN survive Covid-19 without draconian lockdowns. 

On 8/11/2024 at 7:52 AM, 2baht said:

Eventually China MUST pay................if the world has the gonads to do anything about it!!!

China wields too much economic influence.  Even the World Health Organisation helped them to cover it up!

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It would be interesting to see a class action lawsuit basically from everyone in the entire world vs. the Wuhan Institute of Virology, the Chinese government, and the WHO.

everyone probably realizes it wouldn't go anywhere ....   imo

The above AIER article is from spring 2021.

It cites a 1.1 million COVID deaths for the U.S. scenario using Ferguson's forecasts with social distancing and lockdowns, which were only sporadically and temporarily enforced in the U.S. (where a lot of policy decisions were left to individual states), and then does a one year after comparison as of the 2021 time of the article.

And yet today, the U.S. has a cumulative COVID death toll for the U.S. -- AFTER vaccines and what various COVID control measures were employed for relatively brief periods of time -- of almost 1.2 million.

That doesn't sound very wrong to me.

Screenshot_10.jpg.c54699d7ecd45f1fe7b58249dfe7d3b8.jpg

Source:

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

everyone probably realizes it wouldn't go anywhere ....   imo

Of course.  But we all know that if a similar thing had happened in just a Western country, people would be able to sue and get compensation.  So the principle stands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"Experts have suggested that socio-demographic factors could have played a huge part in keeping down excess deaths, meaning that the policy of shunning formal lockdowns may not have worked equally well in other countries.

21 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Pure speculation unsupported by data.

Well, the quote excerpt above that I posted was from the article that you posted earlier in this thread... So enough said about that....

https://theweek.com/news/science-health/956673/did-sweden-covid-experiment-pay-off

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

21 minutes ago, steven100 said:

well I would expect lockdowns are better or safer than no lockdown .....  obviously less transmission 

but they can be difficult and over practiced I guess ....

You would have to quantify if that is the case, by how much and if having enforced lockdowns is worth the acillary cost, economic loss, the elderly unable to see their families, etc. Then if having no lockdowns, with populations adopting sensible behavioural modification out of themselves, as Ferguson had already written in 2006 in Nature is the case, would not achieve similar results.

Later, when Ferguson was called to give evidence in the inquiry, he was asked "Would enough have been done without enforced lockdowns" and he replied "We will never know". So Ferguson himself said that it is possible that lockdowns were not necessary.

Edited by Cameroni
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 1:30 PM, Purdey said:

If I remember correctly, the Spanish Flu killed 50 million and no one punished the Spanish. No consequences at all.

It is widely recognised as almost certainly originating from the first recorded case in Kansas, USA, in March 1918

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, the quote excerpt above that I posted was from the article that you posted earlier in the thread... So enough said about that....

Yes, and I don't agree with it, which is why I didn't post it. You're the one who posted it, not me.

Edited by Cameroni

An important matter that is hardly mentioned is that recorded covid  deaths and suffering are additional to deaths and suffering from all other causes, whatever you want to call them, including flu. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The above AIER article is from spring 2021.

It cites a 1.1 million COVID deaths for the U.S. scenario using Ferguson's forecasts with social distancing and lockdowns, which were only sporadically and temporarily enforced in the U.S.,, and then does a one year after comparison as of the 2021 time of the article.

And yet today, the U.S. has a cumulative COVID death toll for the U.S. -- AFTER vaccines and what various COVID control measures were employed for relatively brief periods of time -- of almost 1.2 million.

That doesn't sound very wrong to me.

But you agree the figures for Sweden, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan which Ferguson predicted are completely wrong? Looking at their final death tollls and Ferguson's model, his figures were way off, were they not?

The multiple year fiasco confirmed to me that those operating under the facade of caring for us are full of it.

They don't care about us.  The more they try to save us, the worse off we become.

And the fact that there were no admissions of mistakes made, or corrective actions taken indicates more games are coming.

• Thanks 2

Making this a bit more about Thailand i would say the effects of Covid are far from over.

Most of the Thai population followed every government rule,as is normal in Asia.

The poor are feeling the effects of Covid and the government rules and they will

continue to be the victims for many years to come.

• Agree 1

On 8/13/2024 at 1:36 PM, Will B Good said:

United States: A widely accepted theory is that the Spanish flu originated in the United States, specifically in Haskell County, Kansas. The first known cases were reported in early 1918 at a military base, Fort Riley, where soldiers became ill. These soldiers were then deployed to Spain, potentially spreading the virus.

If it were true ( might be) Couldn't you replace soldiers with people on a holiday.  Viruses spread and do you think the Spanish flu would have not been an issue if the soldiers didn't travel to Spain.  Now if those soldier's were near a laboratory that was replicating dangerous viruses and passed a virus they accidently got from the lab....

23 minutes ago, jvs said:

Making this a bit more about Thailand i would say the effects of Covid are far from over.

Most of the Thai population followed every government rule,as is normal in Asia.

The poor are feeling the effects of Covid and the government rules and they will

continue to be the victims for many years to come.

They seem to be doing OK.  The economy is struggling a little but that could happen regardless of Covid.  One odd thing I noticed around Ubon was that the locals were flush with cash when it came to building homes and home improvements.  Not sure how the liquidity was added but it was crazy busy around here with new houses popping up everywhere. 

22 minutes ago, steven100 said:

No lockdowns or other similar restrictions in the U.S. right now... More than three-fourths of the population at large are NOT up-to-date with their COVID vaccines, including about 60% of seniors NOT up-to-date.

And COVID right now is killing 500+ people per week in the U.S. during the so-called annual spring COVID surge -- up from about 300 per week back in June, but still much less than the 2,500 weekly U.S. COVID deaths at the start of the year with the so-called annual winter surge. All of this 4-1/2 years into the COVID pandemic.

The latest report from England tallied 174 COVID deaths per week, which was down somewhat from 211 the week before:

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, atpeace said:

They seem to be doing OK.  The economy is struggling a little but that could happen regardless of Covid.  One odd thing I noticed around Ubon was that the locals were flush with cash when it came to building homes and home improvements.  Not sure how the liquidity was added but it was crazy busy around here with new houses popping up everywhere. 

During the pandemic it was already very clear that the poor would suffer.

120.000 students did not return to school in 2022 and i do believe the number is much higher now.

So many young people without an education and there fore not much of a future.

They will not be able to find any meaningful job and if they do find a job it will be low pay.

If you look into it it is very sad really.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Australia and New Zealand did better than most.

I don't think anyone realized how adaptable COVID was, with its variants.

It's easy to point the finger at China as the source, and say they should be paying for the damage caused. Based on that logic, Australians should be suing the Brits for bringing in foxes and rabbits, and the South Americans for giving us fire ants.

Australia and New Zealand did well. Norway did a bit better. And Sweden did better than Denmark. If you take the OECD' excess death figures as a measure.

https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/1e53cf80-en/1/3/3/index.html?itemId=/content/publication/1e53cf80-en&_csp_=da51eb48eaaeedf7fcdf3f0f2a953149&itemIGO=oecd&itemContentType=book#section-d1e10677-66f043643c

OECD.jpg

• Thanks 1

If you look at Sweden's per capita COVID death rate for 2020-2021, not looking so good compared to its comparable Nordic neighbors. From the same OECD source:

COVID deaths for 2020-21 per million population:

Norway:      242

Finland:      310

Denmark:   558

Sweden:    1,463

OECDPerCapitaCOVIDdeaths2020-2021.thumb.jpg.e93be884e20047427058e9f9701acd65.jpg

On the same broader OECD chart for "Country dashboard of COVID-19 outcomes, 2020 and 2021":

Denmark did better than the OECD average on 3 out of 6 indicators

Finland did better than the OECD average on 3 out of 6 indicators

Norway did better than the OECD average on 4 out of 6 indicators

Sweden did better than the OECD average on 1 out of 6 indicators

https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/1e53cf80-en/1/3/3/index.html?itemId=/content/publication/1e53cf80-en&_csp_=da51eb48eaaeedf7fcdf3f0f2a953149&itemIGO=oecd&itemContentType=book#section-d1e10677-66f043643c

Other pertinent findings from the same OECD source, which looked at COVID related outcomes thru December 2021:

--"Vaccination strategy matters. A higher COVID-19 vaccination rate was associated with lower excess mortality."

--"The pandemic has claimed, and continues to claim, millions of lives. Across OECD countries, more than 3.1 million people have died representing nearly half of the 6.6 million reported global fatalities (as of December 2022). Reported COVID-19 deaths underestimate the true death toll, however, owing to a lack of testing and accurate reporting. [emphasis added]

The document also addresses the differences between actual recorded COVID deaths and estimates of excess mortality during the pandemic compared to prior years:

"While the number of reported COVID-19 deaths offers the most direct measure of the number of lives lost to the pandemic, differences in testing capacities, recording, registration and coding practices across countries hamper the international comparability of these figures. Additional indicators to assess the full impact of COVID-19 on population health are therefore useful. The indicator “excess deaths” offers a broader measure, reflecting both the direct and indirect impact of the SARS-CoV-2 virus on mortality, with standardised reporting across OECD countries.

It is not affected by capacity limitations to detect COVID-19 fatalities in countries or other differences in the registration of COVID-19 deaths. However, it is not a direct measure of the impact of COVID-19, since it captures all excess deaths in a particular period, irrespective of their cause. This can include other health events, such as exceptional influenza seasons or extreme weather, which have differing mortality impacts across countries."

--

8 hours ago, VBF said:

But still to impose restrictions with such long-lasting consequences on the whole world by all the politicians involved was, IMO, basically an over-reaction.

Accepting that you're correct, it STILL  would have been better to have let the world carry on with the consequent increased death rate.

I do not have figures, but I still maintain that for every person who caught Covid, the majority survived unscathed. 

Just a "straw poll", I personally know about 20 people (including myself) who have had Covid since 2020.

Of those, only 1 has died and she was 82 and in poor health. All the others are fit and well.

I respectfully refer you to Charles Darwin.

At the time the decisions were made, they were  effected on the basis that Covid Sars-2 was an infectious respiratory disease with deadly consequences that had the potential to spread quickly and to reinfect. The same people complaining today, were also the same people in panic mode back then inventing idiotic claims of cures and disease origins. National service infrastructure was in serious peril. The restrictions were made to keep key systems running

You ignore the fact that the infection shut down the delivery of medical services. Surgeries and basic procedures could not be undertaken.  EMS workers, nurses, orderlies and physicians were dying and/or  going off sick for 2-4 weeks and/or burning out. Did you not see the overcrowded emergency rooms and  hospitals? Did you not see the wholescale abandonment of residents of long term nursing facilities?  Tens of thousands of elderly and  infirm were literally abandoned.  The healthcare systems were collapsing. In the USA,  4,511 physicians died during this early phase of COVID, 622 more deaths than would have occurred had the pandemic not happened.   Excess physician deaths peaked at 70 in December 2020 among all active physicians, followed by a rapid drop in 2021 when safe and effective vaccines became available. No excess deaths among physicians occurred after April 2021, which coincided with the widespread availability of COVID-19 vaccines, meaning that nearly 50 U.S. doctors more than expected died each month during this phase of the pandemic.   Thousands of healthcare workers burnt out and the staffing  problems are still seen today.

Source: February 6, 2023- Excess Mortality Among US Physicians During the COVID-19 Pandemic;

JAMA Intern Med. 2023;183(4):374-376. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2022.6308

Police and fire service capability in some cities fell to less than 50% as personnel became ill and fatigued.  Food processing plants shut down as infections raged amongst the workers. Key industries like power generation had staffing crises. Electrical power supply lines could not be   properly serviced as line workers dropped like flies.  Logistics could not operate as the workers became ill at a time when the mechanism of infection was still unknown.   Westerners were fighting over toilet paper and hoarding food. Some people were literally going into grocery stores and cleaning out the meat counters, concerned only about their own selfish interests. There is criticism of school closures, but what the critics ignore is that some schools were missing so many teachers and support staff that they could not operate safely.

It is very easy to criticize because you have the luxury of the benefits that the restrictions delivered. It is complaining because measures worked as intended. Yes there were inconveniences, but the economy has recovered. People complain about inflation now, but what they ignore is that there was deflation during Covid. Workers did not receive salary adjustments for 2 years, but were expected to work harder than ever. Wages are catching up now.  Many of the business that have failed and blame Covid restrictions were in bad financial shape or mismanaged  prior to Covid. It is always someone else's fault. The restaurant business is typical of this.  In the USA, studies indicate that approximately 60% of restaurants fail within the first year of operation and 80% fail within the first five years.  No one ever mentions this when they complain about their restaurant having closed. Bad management and  bad quality are never mentioned.

Governments did what they  could do during the pandemic and overall, they did  as best they could. Some countries did better than others, but the constant sniping at the governments and administrations is unwarranted as the  complainers  would have done much worse.

Edited by Patong2021
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

Yes there were inconveniences, but the economy has recovered. People complain about inflation now, but what they ignore is that there was deflation during Covid. Workers did not receive salary adjustments for 2 years, but were expected to work harder than ever. Wages are catching up now.  Many of the business that have failed and blame Covid restrictions were in bad financial shape or mismanaged  prior to Covid. It is always someone else's fault. The restaurant business is typical of this.  In the USA, studies indicate that approximately 60% of restaurants fail within the first year of operation and 80% fail within the first five years.  No one ever mentions this when they complain about their restaurant having closed. Bad management and  bad quality are never mentioned.

Sorry, but this is intolerable bs. What happened was the wholesale incarceration of people, dying elderly people deprived of seeing their relatives before they die, the greatest deprivation of liberty we have seen in our lifetime. And when businesses failed they failed because of the totally overdone and unnecessay lockdowns which prevented people going out at all. No matter how good, how profitable a business was, without customers it was doomed to fail because of the decisions of our politicians. Which again, were completely unnecessary as the results in Sweden showed, where they did not impose the same lockdowns but came out far better than the UK, US, Germany, Italy, France and Spain.

Wages are catching up? Not even in your dreams, when you factor in inflation.

If we are going back to a semblance of normality now it is DESPITE the criminal negligence of our politicians and not because of it.

Edited by Cameroni
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

My elderly father died of a non-COVID related cause during a brief hospitalization in the U.S. in the early months of the pandemic in 2020, months before the first COVID vaccines became available.

The private hospital where he was admitted at the time had serious restrictions on out-of-hospital visitors, even for family members, though phone calls and video calls were fine. However, when it was clear his death was imminent, the hospital allowed a few family members in wearing face masks for a brief visit (he was unconscious at the time).

The obvious purpose of such policies was to try to prevent and limit the further spread of COVID as a deadly infectious disease at the time among hospital staff and patients. I had no problem with the COVID policy the hospital enforced back then, and was glad they were doing their best to protect the health of both their patients and staff under extremely difficult circumstances, as Patong2021's post above illustrates.

At least in the U.S., where there isn't any nationalized health care system, I don't think there was any single nationwide policy on such things among thousands of different hospitals, both public and private.

Lord Sumption:

"The way that that this one-size-fits-all approach has been justified adds to its totalitarian flavour. One argument which we heard, at least in the UK, was that uniform rules applied to people with different levels of vulnerability are necessary for the sake of social solidarity. There are two kinds of solidarity. One is the solidarity of mutual support. But this was a different kind of solidarity. It was the solidarity of intolerant conformism. It is irrational to treat every one the same, when the impact of the problem upon them is very different. The other argument that we heard was that it would be too difficult to enforce rules that differentiated between different people according to their degrees of vulnerability. In other words, the rules were couched in indiscriminate terms to make life easier for the police. When convenience of social control becomes itself an object of public policy, we are adopting part of the mentality of totalitarianism."

https://www.robertmenziesinstitute.org.au/institute-news/lord-sumption-a-state-of-fear

Edited by Cameroni
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Since we're now throwing in random quotations, I'll add the following counterpoint opinion:

Kent Sepkowitz is a physician and infectious disease expert at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York who takes issue with economists and others who faulted the early lockdowns in the U.S., and maintains they were absolutely warranted in the early going.

Opinion: Were Covid-19 lockdowns a mistake?

November 10, 2023

"In other words, I consider the “short-term benefits” [early in the pandemic] to be absolutely critical in allowing the medical world to steady itself and gain a much firmer grasp of the task at hand. One only had to work in health care in New York City to see the difference between early 2020, when the explosion of cases overwhelmed the city, versus later in 2020 when an effective therapy had been identified, supplies and diagnostic testing had been greatly improved (though still completely inadequate) and the makeshift ICUs and emergency rooms had been set in place.

The “short-term benefits” at the start of the pandemic are simple to characterize: Every infection that was delayed due to the lockdowns was a day to the good, a day closer to the release of the mRNA vaccines in December 2020, a less-hectic day for the health care workers, a day for clinical trials to mature. Therefore, the authors’ statement that lockdowns “were a mistake that should not be repeated” because they had no “purpose other than keeping hospitals from being overrun in the short-term” is to me a fundamental misunderstanding of the day-to-day work that was being done.

I do think that a practical conclusion that we may send to those caught up in a future pandemic of respiratory virus is this: Lock down hard and quickly until you and the world can get your bearings. Maintaining a functional health care system is crucial."

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/10/opinions/covid-19-pandemic-lockdowns-sepkowitz/index.html

8 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Sorry, but this is intolerable bs. What happened was the wholesale incarceration of people, dying elderly people deprived of seeing their relatives before they die, the greatest deprivation of liberty we have seen in our lifetime. And when businesses failed they failed because of the totally overdone and unnecessay lockdowns which prevented people going out at all. No matter how good, how profitable a business was, without customers it was doomed to fail because of the decisions of our politicians. Which again, were completely unnecessary as the results in Sweden showed, where they did not impose the same lockdowns but came out far better than the UK, US, Germany, Italy, France and Spain.

Wages are catching up? Not even in your dreams, when you factor in inflation.

If we are going back to a semblance of normality now it is DESPITE the criminal negligence of our politicians and not because of it.

Yours are false claims. Because you imagine things does not mean they occurred. The Swedish results you   say support  your position do not exist. On the contrary the Swedish data, shows that the initial Swedish open policy failed.

There was no incarceration of people in the USA. Free movement as individuals was never stopped.  Again you blame the failures of business on "politicians" and not on the businesses themselves. Businesses that were in poor financial shape prior to Covid suffered their inevitable fate. What part of 60% of US restaurants failing in their first year did you not understand?  The historical record number of bankruptcies  in the USA certainly do not support your claim.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/bankruptcies#

What are these results in Sweden that are so good that you refer to?  You  compare Sweden to the USA and UK, which is an unacceptable comparison since their characteristics are not similar.  Compare Sweden to its peer group of nations like Denmark and Norway and the Swedish results are worse. Both Denmark and Norway initially had had  greater restrictions in place, until Sweden also imposed restrictions. The Danish and Norwegian economies did no worse, but their loss of life results were significantly better. Sweden based its strategy on the disproven "herd immunity theory". It didn't work for Covid until there was a vaccine.

The claim that Sweden did so much better was offered as an excuse in the  initial period of Covid, but the actual data shows that was not a correct conclusion.  "The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development found that in terms of pandemic-driven economic contraction, Sweden did markedly worse than its Nordic neighbors Denmark, Norway and Finland, “despite the adoption of softer distancing measures, especially during the first COVID wave.” The OECD review concluded that , “Covid hit the (Swedish) economy hard.”  As the death toll mounted, Sweden also imposed public gathering caps and encouraged distance learning for students.

Nature's review showed that Swedish government authorities denied or downplayed scientific findings about COVID that should have guided them to more reasoned and appropriate policies. These included scientific findings that infected but asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic people could spread the virus, that it was airborne, that the virus was a greater health threat than the flu and that children were not immune.  The Swedish policymakers “denied or downgraded the fact that children could be infectious, develop severe disease, or drive the spread of the infection in the population”. At the same time, they found, the authorities’ “internal emails indicate their aim to use children to spread the infection in society.”  Once the failure of  Sweden's initial approach  became evident, Sweden reversed course and implemented restrictions.   Multiple reviews support the  Nature authors conclusions. examples are 

Comparing the responses of the UK, Sweden and Denmark to COVID-19 using counterfactual modelling, Scientific Reports volume 11, Article number: 16342 (2021)  

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2022/04/06/Sweden-Deadly-COVID-Failure/

You state that wages are not catching up. Ok. Do you realize then that you  have just unwound your  own claims?  One of the largest  factors in current inflation were wage increases. Your saying that wages have not  "kept up" means that  inflation is  lower than it is.  You are all over the place throwing anything that you can in hopes that it will stick.

Accusing  "politicians" of criminal negligence is pure idiocy.  Almost all of the  governments did their best under  catastrophic circumstances. They had difficult decisions to make and their first obligation was to keep their  nations  up and running. That's what they did. Under the circumstances,  few could have done better, particularly when there were so many competing  interest groups all screaming for different  things.  If there were problems, it was  because of people like you, always complaining and criticizing and contributing nothing but negativity and false information.

• Thumbs Up 1