What essential safe riding habits from back home could put you in danger in Thailand?

On 8/15/2024 at 3:50 AM, Moonlover said:

When turning right, having taken all right precautions (mirror, signal, maneuver) never assume that no one will pass you on the right!

When turning right, Thais usually go to the left and then do the hard right turn. Recipe for disaster across the traffic.

• Agree 1

On 8/12/2024 at 3:23 PM, BangkokReady said:

What are some things that are essential for safe riding back home that might get you in trouble in Thailand?

Thinking that they (Thais) knows how to drive.

• Agree 1

On 9/17/2024 at 2:48 AM, soi3eddie said:

When turning right, Thais usually go to the left and then do the hard right turn. Recipe for disaster across the traffic.

True......where we are I have never seen a cyclist right turn from the middle of the road.

Even when I've been in car about to turn right I've had cars over take me....frickin loons.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, watchcat said:

Thinking that they (Thais) knows how to drive.

Easy to dismiss as humour or hyperbole, but actually quite true. Knowing how to drive means more than just being able to get the vehicle moving.

A lot of Thais drive as though they are riding a bicycle on a country lane, especially motorcycles. Weaving around without a care in the world.

You really have to assume that they could do anything at any moment. I'm not sure how anyone can feel comfortable riding a motorbike at speed, given how likely it is for a Thai to cut them off with zero warning.