Temu's Entry Rattles Thai SMEs; Govt Races to Protect Local Businesses

1 hour ago, FlorC said:

If you use Apple pay , you have a log in , so you can see the payment options , just like on lazada.

TEMUs COD only here:

Cash on Delivery
Cash on Delivery is a payment option supported by merchandise partners for customers in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Oman, Bahrain and Jordan, where customers can pay in cash upon delivery of the parcel.

19 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Certainly no COD in the UK. Maybe Thailand will be different but I doubt it. I've not loooked at the Thai site but in the UK it's free delivery on orders over £15, about 600 baht.

I've read bad reports of Temu on some review sites.Some criticised delivery times, product quality and refund policies. 

What is your experience using them in UK compared to, say, Amazon and eBay?

In EU they have make lot of chemical test for Temu and Shein products. And almost all clothes and other products have some or many kind very dangerous chemicals even after one washing time. Shein same but they have fix things in last couple years and only some clothes have this chemicals. I believe in Lazada most Chinese clothes have same chemicals they use it for not get mold when store and shipping. 

• Thanks 1

The government does what? It now RACES to protect local businesses? What a load of crock is all this. The more the government is putting its noses and little fingers into anything, the worse the outcome. 

These online platform are an uncalled consequence of various elements. Prior to the pandemic, lots of customers (including me) bought stuff in retail outlets, supermarket etc. The frustrating element back then was, that you would walk up a shelf for a product, which was "out of stock" and nobody had a clue, when it would be in stock again. Then the pandemic came and people had to get themselves covered differently due to the governments stringent lock-down of anything (unlike Sweden, which never did anything the like). 
The internet is your friend and today I do my non-perishable shopping online, be it shaving cream, tooth paste, olive oil, WD40, light bulbs etc. - simply anything. The prices are even lower (as the retail is cut out completely) and there is no reason for me to go back to sometimes empty shelves, incompetent staff not knowing anything at higher prices. What is left is perishables for obvious reasons. Shoes and clothes are also purchased in stores to make sure, that I really get, what I want. 

The customer decides and the Thai retail trade has lost it years ago, arrogant, ignorant, unfriendly and incompetent. This should answer the question and TEMU is just the latest addition to the Lazadas, Shopees, eBays and other internet shopping facilities. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BerndD said:

TEMUs COD only here:

Cash on Delivery
Cash on Delivery is a payment option supported by merchandise partners for customers in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Oman, Bahrain and Jordan, where customers can pay in cash upon delivery of the parcel.

Thanks ! Saves me the trouble of signing up.

I only do COD.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Never heard of free trade??? If the local product are too expensive make them cheaper....

Or Ban the competition !?

6 hours ago, FlorC said:

Anyone know if Temu has COD ?

I don't want to register to find out it is only credit card.

Short Answer: No, Temu Does Not Offer Cash on Delivery

Temu, the popular online marketplace known for its amazing deals and wide range of products, does not currently offer cash on delivery (COD) as a payment option. Instead, customers need to pay for their orders at the time of purchase using one of the app’s accepted payment methods.

The reason behind this policy is pretty straightforward. Temu aims to keep transactions smooth and secure for everyone involved. By not handling cash, Temu can streamline its delivery process and ensure a safe shopping environment for its vast user base. So, while it might be a slight adjustment for those used to paying with cash on delivery, Temu’s payment system is designed with efficiency and safety in mind.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, hotchilli said:

anything foreign is priced out

That might in part be more the result of the baht collapsing against foreign currencies that raises the cost of imported products. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SHA 2 BKK said:

Long live competition.  

Competition should be fair though. Domestic shipping usually costs more than shipping from China, clearly something is amiss there. That holds true for most (all?) countries, it's not something Thai specific.

Dunno what they're worried about, IMO Temu is a total fail!

Downloaded it, searched for "55 inch smart tv" and got everything EXCEPT tv's!

Deleted it right after.

Very strange site!

Edited by CanadaSam
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Competition should be fair though. Domestic shipping usually costs more than shipping from China, clearly something is amiss there. That holds true for most (all?) countries, it's not something Thai specific.

I can't even recall the last time I paid for shipping on Shopee or Lazada

14 hours ago, Will B Good said:

It might take some time, but the Thais will realise that what they are buying is absolute **** and only a quarter of the size compared to the  photos Temu post.

The quality is shocking. Three orders in and I've learned my lesson. Rumour has it that it many items on there comprise stock that would otherwise have been incinerated. Not sure if there is any truth in that. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CallumWK said:

I can't even recall the last time I paid for shipping on Shopee or Lazada

I hardly ever get free shipping. Sometimes there's a banner saying free shipping, but when it comes to checkout it's still there as an itemized charge. Shipping from China seems to be around 30% cheaper, which seems not possible without some kind of subsidy, something the Thai government should address.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Srikcir said:

That might in part be more the result of the baht collapsing against foreign currencies that raises the cost of imported products. 

Tarriffs.

7 hours ago, jacob29 said:

I hardly ever get free shipping. Sometimes there's a banner saying free shipping, but when it comes to checkout it's still there as an itemized charge. Shipping from China seems to be around 30% cheaper, which seems not possible without some kind of subsidy, something the Thai government should address.

Maybe try to learn how to use the service, and collect the free shipping and discount vouchers that are released every morning

3 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Maybe try to learn how to use the service, and collect the free shipping and discount vouchers that are released every morning

Where are the free shipping and discount vouchers that are released every morning , on lazada ?

2 hours ago, CallumWK said:

Maybe I have better things to be doing. I never claimed shipping costs are high or prohibitive, they're dirt cheap usually at around 29thb much of the time. The existence of promotions doesn't change the fact there's not a level playing field.

1 minute ago, jacob29 said:

Maybe I have better things to be doing. I never claimed shipping costs are high or prohibitive, they're dirt cheap usually at around 29thb much of the time. The existence of promotions doesn't change the fact there's not a level playing field.

Then I wonder why you were complaining.

9 hours ago, jacob29 said:

I hardly ever get free shipping. Sometimes there's a banner saying free shipping, but when it comes to checkout it's still there as an itemized charge.

Just now, CallumWK said:

Then I wonder why you were complaining.

Not intended as a complaint, it's clarifying that it's not outdated information. Present day you don't get free shipping much of the time. Promotions (funded by the platform, just like promotions on grab) do not reflect the underlying cost.

16 hours ago, madmitch said:
On 8/13/2024 at 8:35 AM, VBF said:

I've read bad reports of Temu on some review sites.Some criticised delivery times, product quality and refund policies. 

What is your experience using them in UK compared to, say, Amazon and eBay?

No comparison between Temu and the other two.

You get what you pay for. Temu is very cheap for certain items, certainly novelties, manicure items, cleaning cloths etc where you don't mind waiting ten days for a delivery, but I'd never use them for electrical goods or anything costing more than about £10. Here Amazon is in a different class.

Thanks 👍

That was the impression I formed when I initially looked at Temu.

I'll leave them alone.

On 8/13/2024 at 9:46 AM, Will B Good said:

Rather naive.....While the idea of free trade promotes the efficient allocation of resources, increased competition, and consumer benefits, in reality, trade between nations is influenced by a myriad of factors that prevent it from being entirely free. Most international trade operates within a framework of rules, regulations, and negotiations that reflect the complex interplay of economic, political, and social considerations.

Bla Bla Bla...I just get annoyed when my 500 baht Jordan Air Force One's from Lazada are a size too small...

Let them survive or die on quality Vs Price. I could care less.

• Haha 1

Just now, DLock said:

Bla Bla Bla...I just get annoyed when my 500 baht Jordan Air Force One's from Lazada are a size too small...

Let them survive or die on quality Vs Price. I could care less.

Just ordered a tin of white enamel paint.....my fault I guess.....the tin was smaller than my thumb nail.

• Like 1