Any other cops from the US having trouble with the written license test?

2 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

That's crazy talk. If a bus pulls out, it's biggerer than me, so it has right of way.  If I hit it, my car is totaled.  If a scooter pulls out, I'm biggerer, it gets knocked into the ditch and I can continue on my journey.

Not in Kansas any more, Toto. A law on the Thai books: Leaving the scene of an accident is an admission of guilt. No such thing here as innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

More crazy talk.  Speed doesn't cause accidents.  Hitting stuff causes accidents.

Close but no cigar. Speed=incipient movement. Move, a verb denoting action. Impact, a noun denoting an object. Action -> object. No move, no impact.

I'm quite willing and capable of explaining Newton's laws of motion with formulas in great detail if my button gets pushed hard enough.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, jvs said:

The thing that still gets me every time is people pulling out of a drive way or parking lot in front of you and then going really slow in the hope no one will hit them from behind!

That's one that gets us cops too. Degrees of negligence on the part to both parties. In mathematics land this translates into which is larger (more culpable), A or B. Assign the values of both A and B when both argue the other is larger.

Edited by The Snark

15 minutes ago, n00dle said:

I reckon you need to get over yourself.

Hey nood dude.

19 minutes ago, n00dle said:

get over it nobody else cares. 

And please consider backing down the personal attacks. Respect proper forum etiquette: Attack the points in the posts, not the person posting.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, The Snark said:

I'm quite willing and capable of explaining Newton's laws of motion with formulas in great detail if my button gets pushed hard enough.

Nobody cares, 'specially the proctor.

Being 'right' won't get you a license.

Playing the game according to their rules will.

Memorize the answers.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, n00dle said:

nobody else cares.

Nobody cares,

I was unaware you have been appointed or authorized to speak for the entire forum and the people at the motor vehicles department.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, The Snark said:

A law on the Thai books: Leaving the scene of an accident is an admission of guilt.

Which section of the Civil and Commercial Code or the Thai Criminal Code states that to be the case?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Snark said:
1 hour ago, n00dle said:

nobody else cares.

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

Nobody cares,

I was unaware you have been appointed or authorized to speak for the entire forum and the people at the motor vehicles department.

He wasn't claiming that he had been appointed, he was expressing his opinion, an opinion that he is not the only one to hold!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Snark said:

Go ahead.

School the test proctor on physics and engine earring.

That'll end well.

Live stream it on YouTube.

Shirley, as a former cop, you had methods to handle....

"You can't arrest me!  I know my rights!  I demand to see your supervisor!"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Snark said:

Thai test question answers:

* Driving faster than the speed limit is not a cause of accidents

* Merging vehicles have the right of way if they signal.

*  If a mirror breaks you must pull to the side of the road and turn on your flashers. (And sit there waiting for a mirror repair person to happen along?)

And so on. This anti safety or common sense bullcrap is driving me nuts! I've failed the written four times. Can't get unsafe or VC violation actions into my head as proper driving here,

Any suggestions?

I recently had to sit for all of the Thai licence tests like I had to do when a teenager at home 60 years ago.

I already had a Thai licence for 12 years, but I let it expire during COVID.

I found the written test a bit illogical and full of translation errors, but I persevered with all the sample questions repeatedly until I started getting high scores before the actual test and I aced the test in less that 20 minutes.

I can recommend https://thaidriveexam.com/  and it has all you need to know.

NB Mirror/Windscreen is the same word in Thai.

Edited by LosLobo

9 hours ago, The Snark said:

Been doing that. A couple dozen times. It just gets worse. Ambiguous multiple correct answers and asinine ideas of basic safety laws keep bogging me down. Can't get the CVC and 50+ years of safe driving to take a hike and learn to be stupid,.

Decipher and deduce to what makes sense on the test. If not possible, then don’t drive.

• Haha 1

I passed my written test the first time and howard was able to do it was I thought opposite when I read the question and it made no sense I looked at what I thought would be the correct answer then I put the opposite down and it ended up only had a problem with one, so I asked the person walking around if they could help me with this one because it was confusing so they told me to mark B as the correct answer. The only one that I missed on the whole test was the one that was marked B were The answer the wrong answer. TIT

22 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Interestingly....to me at least....it is not a code, but a legal requirement in Germany to allow cars to merge......(I think).

Yes merge but not slow down. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, The Snark said:

Practicing.

The question on the test. "You see a bus on the side signalling to move into your traffic lane, what should you do?

Correct answer, "Slow down and allow the bus in."

So I call the proctor over to explain this to me. First, type of vehicle does not count with the known physics on this planet. Bike, moped, car, bus, 18 wheeler, D11 Cat crawler, physics are all the same, impact is impact, accident is accident. You can not have a different set of laws for each different vehicle.

Once the proctor understands this little slice of logic you continue.

So going by the bus signaling logic, signaling gives you the right of way to enter another lane. And so, you can move into the high speed traffic lane while going 7 kph and all 28 vehicles going 80+ kph in that lane must slow down and allow you to merge, right?

Of course the correct answer is to slow down and let the bus move into your lane. You don't have to move over into the faster lane, you stay in your lane, slow right down or even stop, let the bus move in front of you and then everyone carries on.  Why would you want to block a bus from continuing on it's route by not allowing it to re-enter the traffic?

On 8/13/2024 at 9:20 AM, The Snark said:

*  If a mirror breaks you must pull to the side of the road and turn on your flashers. (And sit there waiting for a mirror repair person to happen along?)

And so on. This anti safety or common sense bullcrap is driving me nuts! I've failed the written four times. Can't get unsafe or VC violation actions into my head as proper driving here,

Any suggestions?

Well if you lot drove on the correct side of the road it would help you... Lol, Thai Test, forget your American ways - Thai Logic - Use the Force Luke'

• Haha 1

Just now, Lokie said:

Well if you lot drove on the correct side of the road it would help you... Lol, Thai Test, forget your American ways - Thai Logic - Use the Force Luke'

Put of my Farang friends the only ones who have had accidents are 2 Americans ...  (thats from friends of Oz, UK, France, Germany, Austria & SA

On 8/13/2024 at 9:20 AM, The Snark said:

Any suggestions?

Just think of the direct opposite of the rest of the world and answer that way!

I found a practice test on line - it had some odd questions that were obviously poorly written questions...

What should you do if you are being 'hijacked' ?? [tailgated] 

How much air should you put in the middle tire? 

I was really excited when I passed on the 3rd time... 

11 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I have never taken a written test but everyone takes the reaction, color and depth perception tests.

I said video and the reaction tests, never said writing. Let's face it, many Thais cannot write.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 12:13 PM, KannikaP said:
On 8/13/2024 at 9:40 AM, cjinchiangrai said:

What written test? I just showed my home license.

That's to get your first 2 year. yideo and reaction tests are required to re-new up to a 5 year one.

Exactly there is NO written test when showing your home license, I don't understand the OP, also those who say they use an agent, how is that even possible or legal even, apart from hand holding, and then the OP goes on to say he doesn't need a license........

• Like 1