Thailand Has Global Ambition to Become Tech Talent Hub by 2030

Thailand Has Global Ambition to Become Tech Talent Hub by 2030?

Better make their Online 90 Day Report site workable before aiming That High.

It has been here for ages, but never worked properly.

When I reported it at the local immigration office,

they told me that I need to lodge the complaint in Bangkok instead.

Always saying more than they can really do.

it is the common nature of the Populists.

Edited by black tabby12345
  • Agree 1

Who or what is Thailand? Can someone stand up at a conference like Karndee, and announce to the world that Thailand will become a hub of talent, and it becomes government policy? Who voted for this hub? Who in government endorsed it? Did the Senate vote to approved it? etc etc. Am I the only one in Thailand to find these hubs with be fantastical ie never to become reality?

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, black tabby12345 said:

Better make their Online 90 Day Report site workable before aiming That High.

It has been here for ages, but never worked properly.

When I reported it at the local immigration office,

they told me that I need to lodge the complaint in Bangkok instead.

Always saying more than they can really do.

it is the common nature of the Populists.

90 days reporting was outsourced to "Radjneesh & Krishna Partnership Ltd". Their rep won the tender and pass the project to them. However something about $$$ went wrong and they dropped the development/technical support. 

It will not be "workable" nearest years so don't pay any attention: either mail and bus to ToMo.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Shockingly, simple-minded Microsoft seems entirely unconcerned by your carefully-considered requirements. WOT???

"What that means it that is not only do you have full capability of Azure in Thailand, but the best world-class AI infrastructure," Nadella said at an event in Bangkok, the capital, referring to the company's cloud computing platform.

The Thailand data centre will also help enterprise-grade reliability, performance, and compliance with data residency and privacy standards, Microsoft added in the statement.

Microsoft has pledged to train 2.5 million people in Southeast Asia in the use of AI by 2025.

--Microsoft to open first regional data centre in Thailand

It's not too late to write to CEO Nadella to inform him of a BIG MISTAKE. You should be able to collect a huge consultant's fee.

It's a source of perennial wonderment here how international companies fail to do even the most basic marketing research and survey our keyboard warriors when it comes to Thailand. Gon' be sorry when they find out about that wine tax! All those techies and admins and support having to drink boxed Mont Clair like our pensioners. Intolerable!:sad:

For someone who appreciates good wine living in Thailand is a challenge. Drinking Montclair is a penalty that many of us would be hard-pressed to endure. I would rather stick the fruit juice. 

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

His little finger is worth more than you. 

Well I don't doubt what you're saying is true, but there is a big difference between net worth and competence. Someone might be good at selling condos, but does that give them the ability to lead a nation during troubled times? Obviously not. 

Yet more dreamers there are many welcoming countries than Thailand but it doesn’t cost anything to dream like F1 street racing Taylor Swift mega concerts the dreams are never ending with this PM

17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

For someone who appreciates good wine living in Thailand is a challenge. Drinking Montclair is a penalty that many of us would be hard-pressed to endure. I would rather stick the fruit juice. 

Plenty of good wine available in Thailand.

I think your problem is that you can not afford the good stuff.

Your problem, not theirs.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, decca60 said:

the day they will be able to dig the right size hole, put into it the right size fisher and the right size screw to fix my shower properly, this day only I will start to believe Thailand is a ''technical hub"

Obviously you believe that Bodgit & Scarper don't operate in any other country.

Bit strange that some countries even run a TV series on them.

10 hours ago, DjSilver08 said:

Tech Talent Hub 1954.

First Thailand needs to become a real democracy and not a Military Banana State.

Hm,.. You don't keep up with the news. It seems that the Thai people don't like the current democratic government, and want to go back to the Military Banana state !!!

I was under the impression Thailand has among the worst education systems in Asia, certainly with terrible PISA scores. It takes a generation to really turn education around but the government is doing nothing. Schools with no electricity? Yes. Schools with no electricity but with PCs that wont run? Yes.

If a foreign tech company were to establish a base here with BOI privileges, all the staff will be foreigners. How will that help the country improve?.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Higher salaries will only drive companies away.

Thailand needs to look at India in the late 80's early 90's

They developed call centers for American companies and Tech universities. They allowed businesses to enter the country and bring in a labour force that could teach, train, and establish businesses.

They had set up computer universities for the brightest that were run by people int he business.

Saying tha because you allow digital nomads you are going to become a Tech hub is crazy.  Digital nomads work for themselves by themselves.

Thai law does not allow them to create jobs and training for Thais.

Thailand needs to look at bringing in the companines and allowing them to bring in their people from their countries.  These are the people who are going to train and teach, and eventually, companies will be able to replace Western staff with Thai staff who are qualified.   

There re other things but they have been kicked around so much that it goes without saying.

No Foreign Teachers or Influence needed here; they care more about 'Loss of Face' than anything worthwhile that may be useful to progressing the Country.   Many Moons ago when i first got married to a Thai and discussed such things she told me that anyone in Thai positions of 'Authority' thinks that they are very clever and don't need any help or advice from anyone, even other Thai's.    Many ordinary Thai's know exactly what their Country needs to move forward but whenever they Vote for someone/ a Party who wants to progress properly and change things for the better the so called 'Clever Ones' block any attempt to change anything !

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

With the high rate income tax threshold so low and the enormous bureaucratic burden, as a tech professional working here for nearly 16 years, I can say hand on heart that I choose to be here despite the 'intelligent policies designed to attract professionals', not because of them!

Thailand is utterly crippled by bureaucracy. Until this is fixed, the cost, stress and uncertainty of doing business here makes Thailand extremely unattractive to us tech professionals. We strive for efficiency. The Thai bureaucratic system does the exact opposite. If I didn't love the people I find here, the scenery and the food, I'd go elsewhere, for sure.

Anyone remember this gem? In 2017, Prayut set up a committee specifically to address and remove bureaucratic obstacles that were seen as impediments to economic progress.

Net result: The committee was set up. I attended a BOI conference in BKK where Prayut spoke. He reported that over 1000 pointless licenses and permits had been identified within the Thai bureaucratic system. I had hope for reform. But then bureaucracy ensued and the committee was crippled. Nothing changed.

I'd imagine we can expect the same result from the same action this time around...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Plenty of good wine available in Thailand.

I think your problem is that you can not afford the good stuff.

Your problem, not theirs.

I didn't say that there wasn't good wine available in Thailand, what I said was that wine in Thailand is overpriced. Maybe I'm a little spoiled I divide my time between here and California and the single vineyard Sonoma pinots that I drink back there for $40 or $50 cost 5000-6000 baht here if you can find them. Same applies to excellent Barolo, Barbaresco, Chianti Riserva, Chablis, etc. I buy 15 -year-old barolo at auction in the US for $60, that same wine here would cost 10,000 baht. So, I do drink great wine, but not here. My primary issue is the fact that things are jacked up here to the point where good wine just doesn't make sense. If you're content with very mediocre wine there's a huge selection of that here for 1000 baht or less. Decent wine here starts at 2,000 baht, and goes up from there. And that is from a reasonable source. 

This is a very subjective and a very relative topic, obviously. 

IMG-20240428-WA0001.jpg

Edited by spidermike007

11 hours ago, stoner said:

is there really anything they are not the hub of ? 

Of democracy? Of intelligent people? 

Edited by mran66
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, runamok27 said:

Are foreigners even allowed to work in tech in Thailand?

Very very difficult if you can't speak thai, and they want only young people with a degree.

But they don't understand that their population is also aging.
Tony

13 hours ago, freeworld said:

Check whats needed to get an EU visa for a visit. Can't imagine whats needed to get a work permit or how to stay longer term.

You must submit your application to the consulate at least 15 days before your intended journey and no earlier than 6 months beforehand

You may have to book an appointment before lodging the application.

What documents are needed to apply?

• A valid passport. The passport’s expiry date should be at least 3 months after the date of your departure from the Schengen area. For multiple-entry visas, the expiry date should be at least 3 months after your departure from the last country visited.
  • A visa application form
  • Medical insurance covering emergency medical care, hospitalisation and repatriation (including in the event of death).
  • Supporting documents relating to the purpose of your stay, evidence of financial means and accommodation during your stay, and evidence of your intention to return to your home country after your stay.
  • Your fingerprints will be collected when you submit your application (exemptions exist for specific categories of applicants).

Additional documents may also be requested by the consulates.

How much does a visa cost?

• €90 for adults
  • €45 for children aged 6-12
  • €35 for applicants from Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Belarus
  • €67,50 for applicants from Cabo Verde.

An additional fee may apply if you go through visa service centres, which collect applications on behalf of consulates in some cases.

The visa fee can be waived for specific categories of applicants.

How long does the application take to process?

The normal processing time for a visa application is 15 days

This period may be extended to up to 45 days if a more detailed examination of the application and/or additional documents are required.

Sounds good to me. Keep it that way.

21 hours ago, steven100 said:

yeah '    it's a bit of a joke isn't it .....   half of the thai websites don't work properly if there's any boxes or information to insert,  also any request for powerball results or any lottery check comes up access denied .... 

they really are pathetic. 

Or an online visa . Myanmar is easier.

• Like 1

Thailand is gearing up to become a worldwide tech powerhouse,

thanks to its strategic location, wealth of resources, and intelligent policies designed to attract young professionals

Thailand’s plan aims to enhance knowledge sharing

and nurture tech talent for export.image.jpeg.780b3a883b364069be35fd0dcafe0d4f.jpeg

Thailand's reputation as a business-friendly country 

The country also boasts a strong digital infrastructure, with high-speed internet accessible

to over 80% of citizens and nearly all young adults owning smartphones.     

ahhhh,,  qualiifaction #1  image.jpeg.550bb1a90b18cad850ef57f72091d2ea.jpeg

To make Thailand more attractive, it offers easy visa programs and fewer regulations for individual talents, startups, investors, and expats. However,image.jpeg.63e606ba8d1b826daafbdb81e1162fb8.jpeg

By 2030, it's expected that Gen Alpha will make up 11% of the world labor market. As this generation is tech-savvy and prioritizes passion over conventional jobs, they are the target of Thailand's attraction strategy. Reports show that 71% of young professionals prefer working remotely Tax returns: scams are rising rapidly ...

an advisor to the Parliamentary Committee on National Artificial Intelligence Strategy, 

312 Dumb Guys Stock Vectors and Vector ...Stupid and Dumb Person with Low ...But I own a smart phone !

He believes that Thai citizens who have worked overseas will return home with a global mindset, vastly contributing to the nation’s development.      Delusional 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I didn't say that there wasn't good wine available in Thailand, what I said was that wine in Thailand is overpriced. Maybe I'm a little spoiled I divide my time between here and California and the single vineyard Sonoma pinots that I drink back there for $40 or $50 cost 5000-6000 baht here if you can find them. Same applies to excellent Barolo, Barbaresco, Chianti Riserva, Chablis, etc. I buy 15 -year-old barolo at auction in the US for $60, that same wine here would cost 10,000 baht. So, I do drink great wine, but not here. My primary issue is the fact that things are jacked up here to the point where good wine just doesn't make sense. If you're content with very mediocre wine there's a huge selection of that here for 1000 baht or less. Decent wine here starts at 2,000 baht, and goes up from there. And that is from a reasonable source. 

This is a very subjective and a very relative topic, obviously. 

IMG-20240428-WA0001.jpg

like wise !

and don't forget , besides the limited selections..    over priced..   every damn bottle is on a shelf standing up.

how many dry corks and oxidized bottles have you encountered here ?

OMG ,,, they must be joking! In coming from the advanced tech world, Thailand is not even in the ballpark to compete in this space. Basically, they have taken their antiquated and nonsensical paperwork model, and tried to cram it into web and software. If they want to compete, they'd better catch up!

Additionally, the visa options for talented tech gurus is simply impossible for most of them. The financial and paperwork requirements are a huge turn off for anyone wanting to work here.

As for Thai citizens, the education system here has minimalized their chances to compete as well, creating graduates that are very linear thinking. Take for example the "degree" qualification. A degree does NOT make a person a talented problem solver or creator. Back when I was in charge of hiring, there is no way I would consider an applicant with a degree, but no portfolio. I couldn't care less about the degree and never even asked for one. What was most important was to see what kind of work the applicant had produced. No kick butt portfolio? No job. 

On 8/14/2024 at 4:01 PM, Davedub said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

With the high rate income tax threshold so low and the enormous bureaucratic burden, as a tech professional working here for nearly 16 years, I can say hand on heart that I choose to be here despite the 'intelligent policies designed to attract professionals', not because of them!

Thailand is utterly crippled by bureaucracy. Until this is fixed, the cost, stress and uncertainty of doing business here makes Thailand extremely unattractive to us tech professionals. We strive for efficiency. The Thai bureaucratic system does the exact opposite. If I didn't love the people I find here, the scenery and the food, I'd go elsewhere, for sure.

Anyone remember this gem? In 2017, Prayut set up a committee specifically to address and remove bureaucratic obstacles that were seen as impediments to economic progress.

Net result: The committee was set up. I attended a BOI conference in BKK where Prayut spoke. He reported that over 1000 pointless licenses and permits had been identified within the Thai bureaucratic system. I had hope for reform. But then bureaucracy ensued and the committee was crippled. Nothing changed.

I'd imagine we can expect the same result from the same action this time around...

Dealing with BOI as a business owner absolutely stressed me out so much that I abandoned the entire plan, even though the company was approved by BOI already. 
Here's a real life example that I got back from the BOI in trying to onboard an employee.
On the referral letter from the employee's previous job, one of the skills the employee had was listed as "... development of software", so of course I was hiring him as a "software developer", which I listed on the document required by BOI. Well, they denied it saying that the 2 weren't the same! 

Long story short, he was on a temporary Non B visa until he got a work permit that never happened, so he had to leave the country again and start over. Just over the top ridiculous!

Edited by BadSpottedDog
Addition