Pickup Truck Tyre Blowout Causes Multiple Rolls: 1 Dead, 1 Injured

Georgealbert

7 hours ago, Katatonica said:

What a bizarre comment. I bought a high end AMG with different tyre profiles once, not at all obvious. The differential was only driving one rear wheel. That’s how diffs work, maybe you should read up on it.

AMG build a trike?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2024 at 12:54 PM, Ralf001 said:

and before you ask. the badge on the front is Toyota and the vehicle is sporting a 4" suspension lift.

Would that not make it more susceptible to flipping, higher C of G and all that?

On 8/19/2024 at 11:04 PM, Katatonica said:

What a bizarre comment. I bought a high end AMG with different tyre profiles once, not at all obvious. The differential was only driving one rear wheel. That’s how diffs work, maybe you should read up on it.

If driving in a straight line, does the diff not drive both wheels equally. Only when cornering, and one wheel is going further and so faster than the other, does the diff kick in.

Speed kills ... even at 90 kph, a rear blow out should be easy enough to control.   You might lose it & crash, bur rolling over, not once but a few times :shock1:

Oh well, lesson learned, a bit late.  R I P

Regarding tire pressures, I was surprised when I replaced the tires on my mid '90s pickup with new ones that called for a much higher pressure than the truck's placard.   That was Thailand.  Found the same thing back home with my 20+ year old Toyota soccer mom van.

I assumed the new tires are rated higher pressures for better mileage.  CAFE, and all.  Perhaps it was my mistake, but I followed the recommended pressures on the brand new tire sidewall, not the 30 year old placard on the truck and van.  I figured it was more current...

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Regarding tire pressures, I was surprised when I replaced the tires on my mid '90s pickup with new ones that called for a much higher pressure than the truck's placard.   That was Thailand.  Found the same thing back home with my 20+ year old Toyota soccer mom van.

I assumed the new tires are rated higher pressures for better mileage.  CAFE, and all.  Perhaps it was my mistake, but I followed the recommended pressures on the brand new tire sidewall, not the 30 year old placard on the truck and van.  I figured it was more current...

To add to this ... anyone driving at speed silly, should probably make sure their tires are made for higher speeds.   

Surely the manufacturer isn't putting high speed tires on new vehicles, since speed limits in TH are 90-120 kph.   Guessing when most people replace said tires, simple state ... 'give me the same as what's on it now' or worst, go for a cheaper, less spec'd tire :shock1: 

... oops