Lift plummets from 32nd to 15th floor in Bangkok condo (video)

webfact

resize_Screenshot-2024-08-16-100626-1.webp

A woman experienced a terrifying ordeal when the lift she was using at her condo in Bangkok suddenly plummeted from the 32nd floor and stopped at the 15th floor, leaving her shaken.

A TikTok user with the handle @somo_41456 shared a harrowing video of the incident that took place at a condominium yesterday, August 15. In her post, she recounted how the lift unexpectedly dropped several floors.

“If this happened to an elderly person, they could have had a heart attack!

“The lift fell from the 32nd floor and stopped at the 15th floor. I crawled out of the lift, shaking with fear. The condo staff said they were watching the cameras.”

The user was visibly distressed and trembling after the near-disastrous event. Once the lift doors opened, condominium staff arrived to assist her. She explained what had happened, still in shock from the incident.

After the video was posted, it quickly garnered numerous comments from concerned viewers.

“We should press the button for every floor if the lift falls; it helps to slow it down.”

“Everything happened so fast. If she only had the presence of mind to press the alarm button.”

“It likely just slipped, not fell. If it had truly fallen, it would have been much more forceful. Lifts have multiple brake and safety systems. The descent was part of the system’s design; actual falls are quite rare.”

The TikTok video, accompanied by the original sound from the user, sparked a discussion about lift safety and emergency procedures. While some viewers offered practical advice, others reassured her about the safety mechanisms in place in modern lifts.

The condominium management has not yet provided an official statement regarding the incident. However, the event has left a lasting impression on the TikTok user and many others who viewed her post, reported KhaoSod.

In related news, a technician, believed to be a Thai national, tragically lost his life on August 13 while repairing a lift at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok.

@somo_41456

ถ้าเป็นคนแก่หัวใจวายจะทำไง??!

♬ เสียงต้นฉบับ - ส้มโอพันล้าน💵💵💵

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal 
Photo courtesy of Titkok @somo_41456

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-16

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

It still amazes me, after almost 50 years on this planet,

it's amazing that when I read your post I think you old man and then I remember I am 50 years old.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

Sure and try flapping your arms like a bird to slow your descent.

It still amazes me, after almost 50 years on this planet, that people think that the lift will arrive faster if you press the button more frequently; maybe it's conditioned reflex, like a rat in a cage.

If only people could think logically as they hurtle toward the ground in freefall when they think they're about to die. Why didn't I think of that?

according to Einstein she was weightless for a few seconds

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

It still amazes me, after almost 50 years on this planet, that people think that the lift will arrive faster if you press the button more frequently; maybe it's conditioned reflex, like a rat in a cage.

If only people could think logically as they hurtle toward the ground in freefall when they think they're about to die. Why didn't I think of that?

It’s a Hong Kong thing from the time when they had to close the doors by pumping the call button - before my time but that is the only explanation that HK gwailos can offer

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

according to Einstein she was weightless for a few seconds

I think you mean according to Newton. Falling 17 floors, assuming 5m per floor, would give t = 3s

If you want to invoke Einstein, she didn't actually move 😀 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The condo staff said they were watching the cameras

Somchai: next time wait until she's at the second floor before pressing the red button. Then, we can get the change out of her pockets.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Superstition of course dictates that the floor numbers, 32 and 15 should be 'auspiciously' included in the lottery ticket number!😁

Wife's out there buying them now....

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

"“Everything happened so fast. If she only had the presence of mind to press the alarm button.”

1. Do you ever use the alarm button, do you know where it's located?

1.a. Does the alarm button in the lifts in your building automatically connect to / start a conversation response from the condo office or the maintenance company?

2. If the lift starts to freefall I suspect many (many, not all) users would instantly grab anything they can hold only and keep holding on; e.g. most lifts have an internal railing about waist height inside the lift. 

3. “We should press the button for every floor if the lift falls; it helps to slow it down.” Is that true?

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

Lifts have multiple brake and safety systems

Maybe BUT they need maintaining - something that a rare in Thailand 

Take the stairs... better for your health and live longer.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is one of my top concerns about life in LOS (I have many concerns).  While waiting for an elevator or lift I usually step to the side because one can never be sure what awaits you is an empty space or the actual elevator compartment.  Also, I seem to notice elevator entry and exit protocols are not very good.  Often when I get to my floor people will rush the door before people can actually get out. "common sense and routine maintenance are rare in the land of smiles".  This woman is lucky because she got an E ticket ride without harm.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

I think you mean according to Newton. Falling 17 floors, assuming 5m per floor, would give t = 3s

If you want to invoke Einstein, she didn't actually move 😀 

Her sphincter did but that's a story for another day children, off to bed.

35 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"“Everything happened so fast. If she only had the presence of mind to press the alarm button.”

1. Do you ever use the alarm button, do you know where it's located?

1.a. Does the alarm button in the lifts in your building automatically connect to / start a conversation response from the condo office or the maintenance company?

2. If the lift starts to freefall I suspect many (many, not all) users would instantly grab anything they can hold only and keep holding on; e.g. most lifts have an internal railing about waist height inside the lift. 

3. “We should press the button for every floor if the lift falls; it helps to slow it down.” Is that true?

My condo has a  phone number posted on the wall in the elevator to call if there is a problem!  

Edited by radiochaser
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

Something very wrong here, there should be an investigation into maintence, or lack of, modern lifts have too many safety messures for this to happen.

Indeed.

29 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Take the stairs... better for your health and live longer.

Hehe, many can't even walk a little bit further at the BTS to the escalator, they all queue up to take the elevator one level up or down at rush hour.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

This is one of my top concerns about life in LOS (I have many concerns).  While waiting for an elevator or lift I usually step to the side because one can never be sure what awaits you is an empty space or the actual elevator compartment.  Also, I seem to notice elevator entry and exit protocols are not very good.  Often when I get to my floor people will rush the door before people can actually get out. "common sense and routine maintenance are rare in the land of smiles".  This woman is lucky because she got an E ticket ride without harm.  

Have you checked the elevator maintenance/inspection certificate which should be usually posted in the elevator. This should be done annually.

Edited by freeworld

16 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

My condo has a  phone number posted on the wall in the elevator to call if there is a problem!  

I was living in a  (5 storey bldg) condo in Soi Rungland in Pattaya many years ago. The Aussie guy running the place said "There's nothing wrong with the lift, but never use it if you don't have your mobile on you (whilst also giving you his number)".🙂 My first thought's were "There's obviously something wrong with the lift then!"😕

Fast forward a few months and I was on the way up to floor 5 when the lift stopped, and the light inside went out, this was due to a power cut, but apparently there was some other technical problem that would also strand the lift, usually between floors. (I was stuck there for 15-20 mins).

When I got stuck the guy came and 'released' me after I phoned him. He has a tool that fits into a 'T' shaped ring on the outside door, which isolates the lift, and enables the doors to be pulled open. The lift was between floors 3 and 4, and I had to step up about 3 feet to climb out.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1