Villager Killed by Wild Elephant in Kanchanaburi, Another Injured

IMG_4510.jpeg

On August 16, a tragic incident occurred in Kanchanaburi province when a villager was killed by a wild elephant from the Salak Phra Wildlife Sanctuary. Another individual, a rescue worker, was injured while trying to guide responders to the scene.

The victim, identified as 57-year-old Mr. Phatthaya, was attacked while gathering bamboo shoots in the forest near Moo 4, Dan Mae Chalaep subdistrict, Si Sawat district. He had reportedly gone fishing earlier and then ventured into the forest, unaware of the presence of a wild elephant. The elephant attacked him with such force that he died instantly. His body was later found lying amidst bamboo shoots with severe internal injuries.

After receiving the report, local authorities, including the sanctuary’s head Mr. Phaitoon Intharabut, coordinated with police, medical staff, and rescue teams. They headed to the site to retrieve the body. During this effort, a rescue worker was also attacked by another wild elephant that had not been noticed. Fortunately, the rescue worker, Mr. Chingchai, survived the encounter and was treated at the hospital for his injuries.

The area where the incident occurred is known for its high population of wild elephants, who frequently travel to drink water from the nearby Srinakarin Dam reservoir. However, the attack took place during the day, a time when villagers typically do not expect elephant encounters.

This tragic event highlights the dangers of human-elephant conflicts in areas where wildlife and local communities coexist.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-18

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

On 8/18/2024 at 3:52 AM, Georgealbert said:

The area where the incident occurred is known for its high population of wild elephants, who frequently travel to drink water from the nearby Srinakarin Dam reservoir. However, the attack took place during the day, a time when villagers typically do not expect elephant encounters.

Expect the unexpected...  don't go into the woods.

53 minutes ago, Luuk Chaai said:

unaware of the presence of a wild elephant. 

stealthy little bugger !   blends right in with those trees.  and oh so quiet !

Elephant Retirement Park

For a large animal yes they are very quiet...  spook one and find out how fast they can move.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

Elephant Retirement Park

Get your point but it can easily happen in dense undergrowth.

Once I was walking my dog around the jungle track surrounding a country hotel and we ended up less than 10 metres in front of two water buffalos before I clocked them. For some reason, even my dog didn't notice them, which is just as well as she probably would have at least started barking or possibly even charged them. Those things are big up close and to say I retreated gingerly is an understatement. 

10 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

Elephant Retirement Park

you have absolutely no idea! You can be a couple of metres from elephants in forest and be completely unaware they are there.

3 hours ago, kwilco said:

you have absolutely no idea! You can be a couple of metres from elephants in forest and be completely unaware they are there.

that would be a serious wake up call ..... I imagine it would be really hard to run with a sudden load in your pants as well